Photo-real portraits of Roman emperors

M-T-Cicero.jpg

Totally. I have also worked with him, I do not remember exactly if he came from Granada or Córdoba.

By the way in Jerez there are quite a few Romans-Romans I have had them sitting next to in the bus and I have even seen groups of young people in their twenties 4 or 5 and all of them were Romans, they probably didn't even know it, God raises them and they get together.

You are right. Blame my confusion to the similarities between Ancient Greek and Roman era art I have consumed... Their statues have a lot of similarities.

About the questions upthread, what do you think, does Jessica look Italian? What about the reconstructed nose... I see features of both Grecian and Roman. What would you classify the nose as?

I'll reply on this thread as it seems the more appropriate place.

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/30832-Recognizing-ethnicity-by-the-nose

images

b006081d_1520x2000.jpg

If the Young Lady really is Nefertiti the busts of important personalities of antiquity could be idealized. In the case of the Roman emperors, I think that the one who would be the most idealized would be those of Augustus and Claudius, another version of Caligula that is out there, I think it is better than this one here where he is decanted towards Britain like the rest of the most frequented for the cinema.

EcPquBTXYAEKmZi.jpg

In this ring of a Roman patrician, a portrait of the owner of the jewel seems to be seen.

Using the neural-net tool Artbreeder, Photoshop and historical references, Daniel Voshart have created photoreal portraits of Roman Emperors. For this project, I have transformed, or restored (cracks, noses, ears etc.) 800 images of busts to make the 54 emperors of The Principate (27 BC to 285 AD). He posted about it on Medium and explained in detail how he recreated the face of each emperor one by one. The realism is absolutely amazing!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

wow very cool (y)
augustus looks like a cross of this french actor
https://www.fandango.com/people/thierry-lhermitte-400681
and putin :)

p.s
even if not this actor has a roman look :unsure:

Philip the Arab, Philip II, Caracalla, Geta, Elagabalus, and Severus Alexander have Arab ancestry. You can tell from their photos they have Middle Eastern features.

Philip the Arab, Philip II, Caracalla, Geta, Elagabalus, and Severus Alexander have Arab ancestry. You can tell from their photos they have Middle Eastern features.

371303_112_1501x2000.jpg

Do you think Adriano looks like an Arab?

His front profile photo does look Arab. However, his Roman busts don't.

given that carcalla and geta father septimus was punic lybian paternally ( his mother was italian though)
there is this option for there y haplogroups to be : j1, e-m81, e-v65:unsure:
with the bigest chances for e-m81 ....:)
it is cool that you belong to e-m81 from jordan .... (y)

p.s
yes some of the late roman emperors were from outside rome

There's definitely something subjective about what's going on. There's nothing written about the coloring of the hair of some of them, so I don't know why he chose to make them blonde. Also don't know how Vespasian, having seen numerous busts of him, turned out looking a bit too much like our American president LBJ.

I completely agree 100%.

The mother of Carcalla and Geta is Julia Domna, who was an Arab born in Emesa (modern day Homs) in Syria. Her sister Julia Maesa, who was married to a Syrian, is the grandmother of emperors Elagabalus and Severus Alexander.

I have done a little sociological survey

Who was Caracalla?

A pirate
A moorish king

Who was the most famous Roman emperor?

I Claudio
Julius Caesar

Who was the ugliest Roman emperor?

Everyone

Who was the baddest Roman emperor?

Caligula because he killed his mother

Which country did Rome love the most?

Spain
Greece

Which country did Rome hate the most?

France
England

Caligula didn't kill his mother, she and his brother died in prison (credit to Tiberius) :(

... Nero is the matricide :petrified:

Caligula didn't kill his mother, she and his brother died in prison (credit to Tiberius) :(

... Nero is the matricide :petrified:

Time mixes things up.

I had omitted the question but about Nero I asked:

Was Nero really bad?

It wasn't that bad but he started casting Christians to lions by increasing his circus shows more and more.

The mother of Carcalla and Geta is Julia Domna, who was an Arab born in Emesa (modern day Homs) in Syria. Her sister Julia Maesa, who was married to a Syrian, is the grandmother of emperors Elagabalus and Severus Alexander.
I know carcalla and geta had syrian mom
I was speaking about there father septimus severus which his mom did have italian roman roots... :unsure:
His mother's ancestors had moved from Italy to North Africa; they belonged to the gens Fulvia, an Italian patrician family that originated in Tusculum.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tusculum

Last edited:
His front profile photo does look Arab. However, his Roman busts don't.
Hadrian didn’t look anything like an Arab; it’s just this creator’s subjective interpretation. If you think you’re going to start t-rolling here I suggest you think twice.

The modern Saudi prince is representative of "Arab", probably then and now. Eye shape, nose shape, overall facial shape is absolutely nothing like the vast majority of these Roman emperors. I can see some Middle Eastern look in a few, as well as definitely some African/North African, but the vast majority all have a generic west European look to them. Caligula looks most like how I imagine ancient Italians in north-central Italy to look.

Time mixes things up.
I had omitted the question but about Nero I asked:
Was Nero really bad?
It wasn't that bad but he started casting Christians to lions by increasing his circus shows more and more.
Your scale of evil is different from mine,

Nero's mother (Agrippina the younger) was Caligula's sister and Claudio's 4th wife / niece, ... yep :startled:

... so Caligula is Nero's uncle.

oops ... I went off topic, .. again

Agrippina was the Matrix, a very interesting, goals oriented, ambitious and Powerful woman.

If she was born in our time, she would have ruled the World :)

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 71002 times.

Back