Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 163

Thread: Countries that believe their culture is superior to others

  1. #51
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany





    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    the nativty types are many,
    nativity type A is considered as permanent Greek from Hellenic continuity, parental, educational, homeland.
    anyway,
    the article is clear, as it says,

    we speak that 18.8% of Hellas were not permanent citizens before,

    an example for instance, are the ones who live in Germany, and on Crimaia etc
    in Germany there are 2 kinds of Greeks, the omogeneia, and the migrants, the first are considered permanent living abroad, the migrants who have work less time than the requested time still considered Greek, the migrants that work more time than requested are also considered permanent to abroad,
    on the other side Crimaea, N Epirus, Greek omogeneia has citizenship , but permanent living abroad, so they are considered as migrants when come to Greece.
    they have Greek citizenship but not measured as permanent Hellenic population

    lets not mix Citizenship, nationality, with permanent population,

    for example at Kazakstan there were 21 villages with Greek origins at 1980's, some went at 1870's and had primary Ottoman identity
    the ones who ask from Greek state took citizenship, but when came to Greece are considered as migrants Greeks from abroad, no matter have the citizenship.

    Students are always excluded, as special category,

    it is not difficult to understand the diffference among permanent living abroad, and permanent living in state.

    BTW
    Nativity has nothing to do with nationality
    and has many types, there were 4-5 types before 80's

    the permanent, non permanent living abroad, has to do with many state issues etc etc, as if the other countryis in EU treaties or not etc etc
    for example
    I Have all Hellenic pappers, citizenship nationality nativity A, taxation number, health insurance number etc etc.
    and at my 30 years I move abroad to work, or dwell,
    I must inform state, military, etc etc etc so to have different obligations, taxation, health etc etc,
    I am temporary resident of abroad,
    after a time I must decide if I want to declare permanent recidence abroad or not,
    so to avoid problems with law, taxation,obligations etc,
    I am not allowed to live abroad and take for example public aid from Greece (although it happened until 2008 crisis) as I am allowed not to be present for my military obligations etc etc

    the ones you see as 1 year at the article, are also citizens that come 1 month per year, so not to lose priviledges etc etc,
    for example came to Hellas, worked, but permanent living abroad, so they came to take their retirements, or taxes etc etc
    i don't get it honestly. the article says that people just need to have lived for 1 year abroad and that most people who belong to this group until 1996 were greek expatriates. in any case part of those 18% consists out of greek citizens with no migrant background. and there is still a discrepancy between greece and other european countries with a similar or higher amount of migrants or people with migrant background.

  2. #52
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    13-08-20
    Posts
    1
    Points
    33
    Level
    1
    Points: 33, Level: 1
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: Ireland



    1 members found this post helpful.
    The survey question % who say they completely/mostly agree with the statement, "Our people are not perfect, but our culture is superior to others" is loaded or flawed, because it implies that anyone who answers negatively thinks their culture is either inferior to almost all others or the same in degree of quality to all others except one. Basically, it means that anyone who answers yes believes their culture is not the worst. From the results in the map therefore, four fifths of Spaniards would think their culture is one of the two worst in the world. Seeing all the problems in the world, it is very easy for many cultures to believe that they are not the worst.

  3. #53
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,717
    Points
    45,610
    Level
    66
    Points: 45,610, Level: 66
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    i don't get it honestly. the article says that people just need to have lived for 1 year abroad and that most people who belong to this group until 1996 were greek expatriates. in any case part of those 18% consists out of greek citizens with no migrant background. and there is still a discrepancy between greece and other european countries with a similar or higher amount of migrants or people with migrant background.

    Citizenship : Hellenic
    Nationality : type A B
    Nativity : type A D
    Residence : country, abroad,


    these that article say are permanent abroad, meaning
    Citizenship : Another plus Hellenic
    Nationality : other than type A
    nativity : type B C D
    Residence : Permanent abroad

    so simple
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  4. #54
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    Citizenship : Hellenic
    Nationality : type A B
    Nativity : type A D
    Residence : country, abroad,


    these that article say are permanent abroad, meaning
    Citizenship : Another plus Hellenic
    Nationality : other than type A
    nativity : type B C D
    Residence : Permanent abroad

    so simple
    then why is it nowhwere specified that only those greeks with 2 citizenships are countes as immigrants?

    fro example here
    https://www.statistics.gr/en/statist...o4lN_locale=en


    "Note: The number of immigrants includes both persons with Greek citizenship and persons with foreign, unknown or without citizenship."

    if someone moves out of greece lives for a few years abroad so that he counts as someone with permanent residency abroad then moves back, why would you count him as a usual immigrant together with migrants with different citizenship?

    and why would you fear that he is "devastating" your culture?



  5. #55
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,717
    Points
    45,610
    Level
    66
    Points: 45,610, Level: 66
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    then why is it nowhwere specified that only those greeks with 2 citizenships are countes as immigrants?

    fro example here
    https://www.statistics.gr/en/statist...o4lN_locale=en


    "Note: The number of immigrants includes both persons with Greek citizenship and persons with foreign, unknown or without citizenship."

    if someone moves out of greece lives for a few years abroad so that he counts as someone with permanent residency abroad then moves back, why would you count him as a usual immigrant together with migrants with different citizenship?

    and why would you fear that he is "devastating" your culture?


    the article says προερχονται, not ηλθαν, means abroad origin.

    No permanent residence is different than residence abroad,

    for example,
    My friends father went to Germany at 1960's,
    he had 3 sons,
    the first born and grew with his grandparents and we were together at school,
    he went to Germany every Christmas to meet parents,
    he served full military etc etc,
    he went to Germany for work for 15 years,
    he is not considered as migrant when returns, no Deutsch citizenship, but a card to work and stay if he wants.

    the second and 3rd went school at Germany,
    have Deutsch citizenship, and only one has Greek
    one served military at min time, and ask Greek citizenship, the other not, etc etc
    the 3rd one is not even Greek citizen or nationality
    while second is considered Greek but permanent residence abroad.

    Now all are about 50 years old
    No matter brothers, the last 2 return to Greece if happens it counts as migrant,
    the father no matter how long lived in Germany is not considered as migrant when he returns.


    as an aswer

    Table 4. Immigrants who settled in Greece the last five years before the Census, by group ofcountries of origin, age group and place of their usual residence by urban or rural areas duringthe 2011 Census

    329.556 people.
    it is obvious that total could be 18,8% of population since in 5 only years is about 3%

    I can not make it more simple.

  6. #56
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    the article says προερχονται, not ηλθαν, means abroad origin.

    No permanent residence is different than residence abroad,

    for example,

    My friends father went to Germany at 1960's,
    he had 3 sons,
    the first grew with his grandparents and were together at school,
    he went to Germany every Christmas to meet parents,
    he served full military etc etc,

    the second and 3rd went school at Germany,
    have Deutsch citizenship
    one served min time, and the other bought the obligations,
    they came to Greece every summer for vacations,
    even today.

    Now all are about 50 years old
    No matter brothers, the 2 last are considered permanent residence abroad,
    and their return to Greece if happens it counts as migrant,
    the father no matter how long lived in Germany is not considered as migrant when he returns


    as an aswer

    Table 4. Immigrants who settled in Greece the last five years before the Census, by group ofcountries of origin, age group and place of their usual residence by urban or rural areas duringthe 2011 Census

    329.556 people.

    it is obvious that total could be 18,8% of population since in 5 only years is about 3%
    so why do the 2 brothers count as immigrants? do you have to spend a certain amount of time during your childhood in a foreign country? anyway i think we won't get further here. i still think you are splitting hairs if you count them as immigrants and if you think they drastically change your culture. the culture will change no matter what and a certain change and foreign influence should be allowed.

  7. #57
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,717
    Points
    45,610
    Level
    66
    Points: 45,610, Level: 66
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    so why do the 2 brothers count as immigrants? do you have to spend a certain amount of time during your childhood in a foreign country? anyway i think we won't get further here. i still think you are splitting hairs if you count them as immigrants and if you think they drastically change your culture. the culture will change no matter what and a certain change and foreign influence should be allowed.
    not me, the state,
    because their residence is permanent abroad, and have no nativity type A

    if they change my culture?
    that depends,

  8. #58
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I think it is largely due to US, and Soviet influences. After the Second World War, these two super-powers were competing for blocs of allies, so they conducted influence campaigns primarily based on the virtues their economic systems. Moreover, ethno-nationalistic leanings, particularly for Europe was considered taboo, because of Nazism, and Fascism being their extreme. Moreover, during the Cold War, the Soviets put pressure on the USA to make social changes, because it pointed to inconsistencies in messages of equality, and the Jim Crow South. This was particularly problematic, when the US tried to court non-white countries. The widespread distribution of the television, putting light on lynchings and race laws, accelerated this. This in turn was projected to the rest of the world, under the influence of these super powers, and later just from the USA. Ironically, today, former-Soviet countries are far more ethno-nationalistic, than those that were part of NATO. I think this is because when governments try to socially engineer morality, to an unwilling populace, there is resentment, and a complete backlash against it. That is why I also think it is futile to "nation build" in the middle east.
    imo it needs just a certain amount of education and developement plus certainly also wealth to fight ethno-nationalism. poor and uneducated people tend to go for ethnonationalism faster because it gives them security and a feeling of superiority out of nothing. theres probably a direct correlation between ethno nationalism and social developement in many other aspects.

  9. #59
    Baron Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-05-12
    Posts
    300
    Points
    6,731
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,731, Level: 24
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Overall activity: 8.0%


    Country: Canada



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I can attest by the number of east European refugees (in particular from the Balkans) and/or immigrants living in Canada that East Europeans definitely have an air of ethnocentricity. So yeah, not a surprise, I believe it.

  10. #60
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,178
    Points
    164,166
    Level
    100
    Points: 164,166, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    4 members found this post helpful.
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with being ethnocentric, or having a preference for your ethnicity. As long as it isn't brought to an irrational extreme, or results in others being treated unfairly.

    However, I do think there is something wrong with people that don't have a sense of pride in who they are. Which is also extended to their ethnicity.
    Ancient West Eurasia

    Calculator Versions:

    (Dodecad K7b) WIP

  11. #61
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,717
    Points
    45,610
    Level
    66
    Points: 45,610, Level: 66
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    imo it needs just a certain amount of education and developement plus certainly also wealth to fight ethno-nationalism. poor and uneducated people tend to go for ethnonationalism faster because it gives them security and a feeling of superiority out of nothing. theres probably a direct correlation between ethno nationalism and social developement in many other aspects.
    I believe that supporting ethnos, is better than supporting internationalism and globalization
    as you support your family first etc

  12. #62
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    19-05-15
    Posts
    135
    Points
    4,408
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,408, Level: 19
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3h

    Ethnic group
    Croat
    Country: Switzerland



    I don't like nationalism as well as clericalism. It often means standing behind an idea that looks more silly with every new thing you learn about the world.

  13. #63
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with being ethnocentric, or having a preference for your ethnicity. As long as it isn't brought to an irrational extreme, or results in others being treated unfairly.

    However, I do think there is something wrong with people that don't have a sense of pride in who they are. Which is also extended to their ethnicity.
    as long as there is no genetic component in ethnocentrism then maybe it is not inherently wrong. if there is one, then no, it just asks for problems especially if it is tied to ethnonationalism. same with sense of pride that is extended to the ethnicity and isn't based on personal achievements.
    it's something that really isn't needed and when it's there it almost always leads to discrimination.

  14. #64
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,178
    Points
    164,166
    Level
    100
    Points: 164,166, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    as long as there is no genetic component in ethnocentrism then maybe it is not inherently wrong. if there is one, then no, it just asks for problems especially if it is tied to ethnonationalism. same with sense of pride that is extended to the ethnicity and isn't based on personal achievements.
    it's something that really isn't needed and when it's there it almost always leads to discrimination.
    I think it is difficult to divorce a genetic component from ethnicity. Otherwise, it is not different from the construct of "nationality". Nevertheless, I think people should be proud of who they are, no matter what.

  15. #65
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,178
    Points
    164,166
    Level
    100
    Points: 164,166, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I think it is difficult to divorce a genetic component from ethnicity. Otherwise, it is not different from the construct of "nationality". Nevertheless, I think people should be proud of who they are, no matter what.
    I think even liberals and sociologists (inadvertantly?) tie culture to genetics. Because when an offender of a different genetic group is accused of parodying another's culture, they call it "cultural appropriation". For example, when a white person dresses in a non-white person's ethnic attire.

  16. #66
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I think it is difficult to divorce a genetic component from ethnicity. Otherwise, it is not different from the construct of "nationality". Nevertheless, I think people should be proud of who they are, no matter what.
    if that is the case then ethnocentrism is inherently wrong imo. it would basically translate to "our ancestry is better than others" with no differentiation. though the definition also includes culture, religion not tied to ancestry, so at least in theory it's different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I think even liberals and sociologists (inadvertantly?) tie culture to genetics. Because when an offender of a different genetic group is accused of parodying another's culture, they call it "cultural appropriation". For example, when a white person dresses in a non-white person's ethnic attire.
    there are also a lot of people who think cultural appropriation is something positive, something that has always happened and that has led to more developement and diversity. that it is seen as something bad is a modern extreme. and don't you think that this extreme stance is harmful? there are those who don't want to share parts of their culture with others and there are those who don't want to experience other cultures or allow other influences(ethnocentrists). both not really good.

    if ethnocentrism is considered as something good and it is automatically tied to genetics, then how to determine the consequences? do you think for example the anti-italians party in in the 1960's in switzerland was justified? or more extreme does fascism or even nazism have a point? maybe humans are just incapable so they need ethnocentrism to get a feeling of belonging and to get something that gives them a direction, but imo it is just a remnant from evolution that does more harm than it is good.
    Last edited by Ailchu; 15-08-20 at 12:02.

  17. #67
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,717
    Points
    45,610
    Level
    66
    Points: 45,610, Level: 66
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Ireally do not yjink so,
    I do not think that Nazism or Fasism has to do with the pride of the id and culture,
    I think Fasism and Nazism were rather political situations in the hands of some leaders, who pressed IMPERIALIZATION,

    and believe me, the same fear of Imperialism sprung from Nazism and Fasisim, The same Fear sprungs from Globalization and one artificial culture called New ....
    Yet that does mean that someone will go migrant to a country and will force them to change their culture, or provide his culture as the only one that must exist
    A good example is the culture of the religion of Muslim migrants in West Europe,
    now tell me, who is more Fasist or Nazi?
    a Greek that believe his culture superior?
    an East European who belives that also?
    or an Illegal migrant who spit European cultures inside Europe?

    When we speak about Fasism, Nazism etc we must be carefull,
    the most easy thing today is to accuse someone as anti-Semitic as NAZI as Fasist etc etc
    but is it such?

    the NAZI and Fasist era in Europe is over,
    time to cut the head of the other monster which is called Globalization or NEW ....

    as we have fought state or nations Dictatorships, we must fight also against global Dictatorship
    otherwise we are doomed as humanity to an uncertain future.

    and bellieve me, as Imperialistic games used once Nazism, today they use globalization.

  18. #68
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    Ireally do not yjink so,
    I do not think that Nazism or Fasism has to do with the pride of the id and culture,
    I think Fasism and Nazism were rather political situations in the hands of some leaders, who pressed IMPERIALIZATION,

    and believe me, the same fear of Imperialism sprung from Nazism and Fasisim, The same Fear sprungs from Globalization and one artificial culture called New ....
    Yet that does mean that someone will go migrant to a country and will force them to change their culture, or provide his culture as the only one that must exist
    A good example is the culture of the religion of Muslim migrants in West Europe,
    now tell me, who is more Fasist or Nazi?
    a Greek that believe his culture superior?
    an East European who belives that also?
    or an Illegal migrant who spit European cultures inside Europe?

    When we speak about Fasism, Nazism etc we must be carefull,
    the most easy thing today is to accuse someone as anti-Semitic as NAZI as Fasist etc etc
    but is it such?

    the NAZI and Fasist era in Europe is over,
    time to cut the head of the other monster which is called Globalization or NEW ....

    as we have fought state or nations Dictatorships, we must fight also against global Dictatorship
    otherwise we are doomed as humanity to an uncertain future.

    and bellieve me, as Imperialistic games used once Nazism, today they use globalization.
    you are misunderstanding me. if someone said the societies of western/northern europe are more developed than those in the rest of europe and he tied this with genetics how would you like that? and what exactly would this person be in your opinion? note i wasn't simply talking about culture but about ethnocentrism that is tied to genetics.

  19. #69
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,178
    Points
    164,166
    Level
    100
    Points: 164,166, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    it would basically translate to "our ancestry is better than others" with no differentiation
    I don't see how you can make that leap.

    Ethnic groups have a genetic to component to them, that is just a fact. Everyone lives on a gradient of various source populations. Right down to a regional level. Acknowledging that, doesn't make you chauvinistic.

    Often we see people using the Indo-European language to justify, how their culture is the genesis of everything that has been accomplished. I think most people would consider this so ridiculous, that is it is not even worth contesting... You can trace reggaetón music back to Corded Ware? To suggest the artists of this style give a damn that they owe some of the language to bronze age people is laughable, and I think the same is the case for people from some ancient cultures as well.

    So in a way I sort of agree, culture is inspired by the by the accomplishments of others. But these are just ingredients, to create something more localized, and distinguishable created by others. You don't just credit the use of water for baking a cake.

  20. #70
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I don't see how you can make that leap.

    Ethnic groups have a genetic to component to them, that is just a fact. Everyone lives on a gradient of various source populations. Right down to a regional level. Acknowledging that, doesn't make you chauvinistic.

    Often we see people using the Indo-European language to justify, how their culture is the genesis of everything that has been accomplished. I think most people would consider this so ridiculous, that is it is not even worth contesting... You can trace reggaetón music back to Corded Ware? To suggest the artists of this style give a damn that they owe some of the language to bronze age people is laughable, and I think the same is the case for people from some ancient cultures as well.

    So in a way I sort of agree, culture is inspired by the by the accomplishments of others. But these are just ingredients, to create something more localized, and distinguishable created by others. You don't just credit the use of water for baking a cake.

    by definition ethnocentrism is considering your own customs as normal and better than those of others. if you add in a genetic component then of course you are implying that your ancestry is better than the one of others. if you just acknowledge the existense of different ethnicities and that they have differing genetic components, that's not ethnocentrism. it starts when you tie it to the cultures you are judging.

  21. #71
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,178
    Points
    164,166
    Level
    100
    Points: 164,166, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    by definition ethnocentrism is considering your own customs as normal and better than those of others. if you add in a genetic component then of course you are implying that your ancestry is better than the one of others. if you just acknowledge the existense of different ethnicities and that they have differing genetic components, that's not ethnocentrism. it starts when you tie it to the cultures you are judging.
    I disagree, you can have a preference, and a deep facination with your culture. Which is what I would consider ethnocentric, it doesn't mean you think you are superior, or hateful of others. What you are discribing is being a supremacist, which is an irrational and narrow minded extreme of ethnocentricism.

  22. #72
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,717
    Points
    45,610
    Level
    66
    Points: 45,610, Level: 66
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    you are misunderstanding me. if someone said the societies of western/northern europe are more developed than those in the rest of europe and he tied this with genetics how would you like that? and what exactly would this person be in your opinion? note i wasn't simply talking about culture but about ethnocentrism that is tied to genetics.
    Simply, you answer him with history, and historical eras were genetics evolve, and with famous people genetics,

    that reminds me, the true or myth of famous that had some mental disorders and achieve great things, and if they are inherited to next generations.

  23. #73
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    Simply, you answer him with history, and historical eras were genetics evolve, and with famous people genetics,

    that reminds me, the true or myth of famous that had some mental disorders and achieve great things, and if they are inherited to next generations.
    again what would this person be for you? how would you describe it? maybe fascist or nazi?

  24. #74
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,106
    Points
    72,782
    Level
    83
    Points: 72,782, Level: 83
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 81.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    I’m ethnocentric, ... what’s my user Name? :)

    though at times I do wonder if my ethnocentricity might be slightly misplaced?!?



  25. #75
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    548
    Points
    3,743
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,743, Level: 17
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I disagree, you can have a preference, and a deep facination with your culture. Which is what I would consider ethnocentric, it doesn't mean you think you are superior, or hateful of others. What you are discribing is being a supremacist, which is an irrational and narrow minded extreme of ethnocentricism.
    ethnocentrism only describes how someone judges other cultures. it isn't a term that describes a persons love for his own culture for example. that's how i understand it.
    and wasn't the initial question about feeling superior to other cultures anyway?

    now what would you have said to the anti italian party? let's say they all just really had a preference and facination for swiss culture, they also tied it to genetics and didn't want to change it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •