Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 163

Thread: Countries that believe their culture is superior to others

  1. #126
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    672


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    @Alichu, have you noticed that academics also tie genetics to ethnicity?

    examples:






    Simmer down, because you sound foolish.
    sure there is a genetic component to ethnicity. i never denied this. but you are connecting this component with the cultural component without even knowing the real interactions. which differences in cultures are because of genetical difference and which differences are not? you have no idea.

    or else what are you going to tell a nordicist who wants to deport everyone from the south? what are you going to tell the lega when they want to seperate north from south italy?

    and especially when looking at ethnocentrism, how are you going to tell people to not discriminate people of different ancestry, even when fully integrated, who entered their country probably without their personal consent, when you actually agree with genetic ethnocentrism yourself?
    are you just going to tell them, "please be nice" or something without actually attacking their ethnocentrism?

  2. #127
    Regular Member Archetype0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Posts
    717

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by G2ian View Post
    This is such a woeful topic. The question itself has negative undertone, it's simplistic and dismissive. "Our culture is not perfect but it is superior to others" First of all If I was Greek I'd definitely answer Yes. Why should one evaluate their country only in it's current state while dismissing millennia of history? Secondly people associate superiority with prosperity, which is also bullshit. A lot of modern prosperity comes from Genocide, Slavery, Imperialism, arms trade, Geopolitical luck, etc... nothing to be proud of.

    Also what part of culture are we talking about ? Military power? in that case Mongols achieved the feats that will probably never be matched by anyone.

    Technology? well that comes through prosperity which often comes from crime as pointed out earlier.

    Free thinking ? That is more of an evolution to which many cultures have contributed across history. For example, Renaissance, the catalyst of modern progress was the result of Byzantine influence on crusaders and Europeans after the migrations to the west, so one more point to Greeks there.

    Way of life ? What makes us think that modern way of life is good or right ? Working your ass off til you're 60 for a company that might or might not be part of the reason for climate change and host of other problems in the world, barely having time to spend with family or friends and then reaping the fruits of your labor after you're old and frail? Not to mention living off of near slave labor. What makes that better than living in a village taking care of your vineyard surrounded by your family and tribe of well wishers ?

    Why are cultural melting pots better than appreciating each others culture without being forced to constantly change and adopt to foreign ideals or accept masses of migrants which will inevitably change your nation for the worse ? (with the exception of obvious human rights issues being non negotiable )

    We have a long goddamn way to go til we reach any form of "higher civilization". these kind of surveys are just embarrassing and ironically there to hint at superiority of certain cultures over others due to their beliefs..
    I agree with most of your observations mate.

    Just found the highlighted part controversial and somewhat funny.

    Again I think immigration is not in the scope of this thread. But do people really think there would be this many immigrants had so many wars for oil and imperial spheres of influence not happend in the Middle East for at least the last 20 years?

    Or would there be so much immigration from Africa across the mediterenean had Colonialism not shifted the scales of prosperity to such disbalance?

    Also the Mongols got nothing on the British.

    “Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible in himself, and at the same time that indestructible something as well as his trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him.”

    Franz Kafka

  3. #128
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,497

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    I mean... just a counterexample to your last claim. Today a large portion of Arvanites consider themselves Greek, just like a large number of Irish immigrants consider themselves "American".

    I still find it funny, that this thread about Culture deralied into a thread about ethnicity and genes. On one hand, both ethnicity and culture are social constructs, genes on the other hand are hard, cold scientific fact.

    I will give another counterexample to what I percieve to be the real issue here. If I understand the claims from various posters in this thread, culture/(to a lesser extend ethnicity) is based on genes(not my claim/ I disagree with this). I beg to differ. Check out North Korea / South Korea. Diametrically different culture, on the way to becoming separate ethnicities if this keeps up a few more generations, yet genetically ? Are they not indistinguishable?



    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counte...20a%20theorem.
    "American" is their nationality, their ethnicity is Irish. The only people that consider themselves ethnically "American" are some old-stock Americans (British Isle origin) around the Appalachian region:


  4. #129
    Regular Member Archetype0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Posts
    717

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    "American" is their nationality, their ethnicity is Irish. The only people that consider themselves ethnically "American" are some old-stock Americans (British Isle origin) around the Appalachian region:

    Okay. Good point.

    So if I was born in the US (US nationality), to 4th generation Irish-Italian grandparents on my mothers side, and Native American - Mexican grandparents on my fathers side, what would my "ethnicity" be?

    Also, you do realize most of the places with Hispanic / Latino majority in the US used to be part of Old Mexico? Do you find it acceptable that this people that lived there before the push to colonize the West from British imigrants, are now considered 2nd class citizens with remarks like "Go back to your country", "Speak English"....

    Finally, most Greek nationalists I know say Arvanites are Greek, whether they mean nationality or ethnicity, God knows. But they swear Arvanites are Greek and not Albanian. And sadly, for me as an Albanian, quite a big portion of Arvanites consider themselves Greek ethnically today, and go out of their way not to know a single word of the language their grandparents spoke (Arvanitka)... So is it because of their genes that they consider themselves Greek?
    I don't know man, if in 3 generations these people solely based on religion and geographic location, assimilated completely into the Greek ethnos, culturally and linguistically, to me it shows how it all is a big social construct, of nationalistic/ethnic whatever you want to call it, myth.

    PS: If you were indeed right. Which I have no issue with. Then how did your forefathers become "Italians" to begin with? Surely there is genetic discrepancy, linguistic discrepancy, cultural discrepancy, in the various regions of Italy? No?
    If genes were so important to determine nationality and culture, most ethnicities and cultures would have been gate-kept by such a constraint before they even formalized.

    Anyways...

    I am not saying I am right. Just my 2 cents.


  5. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    27-05-18
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    58

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I1a1c

    Ethnic group
    Georgian
    Country: Georgia



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    sure there is a genetic component to ethnicity. i never denied this. but you are connecting this component with the cultural component without even knowing the real interactions. which differences in cultures are because of genetical difference and which differences are not? you have no idea and it is you who is unscientific.

    or else what are you going to tell a nordicist who wants to deport everyone from the south? what are you going to tell the lega when they want to seperate north from south italy?

    and especially when looking at ethnocentrism, how are you going to tell people to not discriminate people of different ancestry, even when fully integrated, when you actually agree with genetic ethnocentrism yourself?
    are you just going to tell them, "please be nice" or something without actually attacking their ethnocentrism?
    Discriminating on genetic basis is straight up idiocy. But what goes for "ethnocentrism" today is imo laughable. I think the whole point of a country is for your group of people to have a home in their corner of the world where they can pursue their way of life in peace. Small scale migrations are fine, even positive imo. But when it comes to countries being forced to change and conform to different cultural norms because of massive political shifts in the region, that is unfair and even dangerous imo. It sows the seeds of hate and extremism that might sprout decades from now. I'm a big fan of Classic EU approach where countries are working together for the good of everyone involved but without being forced to mutate into one big overarching culture, why can't we just stay the way we are, but still work together without war and conflict?

    Ironically I've lived outside my country for half of my life, but I've never gone anywhere and pointed finger at locals or told them to change their ways because I thought they were wrong. That's just insane in my book. I also have never felt unwelcome because: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

  6. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    27-05-18
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    58

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I1a1c

    Ethnic group
    Georgian
    Country: Georgia



    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    I agree with most of your observations mate.

    Just found the highlighted part controversial and somewhat funny.

    Again I think immigration is not in the scope of this thread. But do people really think there would be this many immigrants had so many wars for oil and imperial spheres of influence not happend in the Middle East for at least the last 20 years?

    Or would there be so much immigration from Africa across the mediterenean had Colonialism not shifted the scales of prosperity to such disbalance?

    Also the Mongols got nothing on the British.

    Mongols did it on horses. Gunpowder and shipbuilding just changed the scale of the game really. But balance of power was far more even for the mongols who had to face dozens of nations with similar resources and ability to produce tools of war. Brits went around with guns and viruses fighting civilizations far less developed than they were. Native Americans, Africans, Islanders, The French etc..

  7. #132
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    672


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by G2ian View Post
    Discriminating on genetic basis is straight up idiocy. But what goes for "ethnocentrism" today is imo laughable.
    when i use it and hear others use it i apply the meaning of the definitions that i posted. and as i already said, if ethnocentrism is seperated from genetics it does not have to be bad. otherwise it is extremely dangerous.

    people really didn't seem to like this statement.

  8. #133
    Regular Member Archetype0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Posts
    717

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by G2ian View Post
    Mongols did it on horses. Gunpowder and shipbuilding just changed the scale of the game really. But balance of power was far more even for the mongols who had to face dozens of nations with similar resources and ability to produce tools of war. Brits went around with guns and viruses fighting civilizations far less developed than they were. Native Americans, Africans, Islanders, The French etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by G2ian View Post

    Also what part of culture are we talking about ? Military power? in that case Mongols achieved the feats that will probably never be matched by anyone.


    I was just quoting you on Military Power. Military Power is a zero sum game calculus. Doesn't matter how as long as you got a real advantage you got power.
    I am not disagreeing with you and your observation. However keep in mind the Black Death and the huge technological advantage the Mongols had, from composite bows, to horse riding swarms of archers, to even gunpowder. That is even without mentioning their superior supply lines, army organisation, counter intelligence, psychological warfare etc, etc.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol...tion#Gunpowder

    The whole Wikipedia entry on Mongol military is worth a read IMO.

    Another similarity between the Mongols and the British was the control of the trade from East to West (https://medium.com/@rsdancey/genghis...d-285475b9f15d) that made them immensely rich and able to draft an international multi ethnic army, which was by no means inferior to any army they faced.

    Inclusion[edit]

    As they were conquering new people, the Mongols integrated into their armies the conquered people's men if they had surrendered - willingly or otherwise. Therefore, as they expanded into other areas and conquered other people, their troop numbers increased. Exemplifying this is the Battle of Baghdad, during which many diverse people fought under Mongol lordship. Despite this integration, the Mongols were never able to gain long-term loyalty from the settled peoples that they conquered.[50]


    I highly recommend these two books:

    https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-St.../dp/B000VDUWMC

    https://www.amazon.com/Clash-Civiliz.../dp/B000R1BAH4

  9. #134
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,497

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    sure there is a genetic component to ethnicity. i never denied this. but you are connecting this component with the cultural component without even knowing the real interactions. which differences in cultures are because of genetical difference and which differences are not? you have no idea.

    or else what are you going to tell a nordicist who wants to deport everyone from the south? what are you going to tell the lega when they want to seperate north from south italy?

    and especially when looking at ethnocentrism, how are you going to tell people to not discriminate people of different ancestry, even when fully integrated, who entered their country probably without their personal consent, when you actually agree with genetic ethnocentrism yourself?
    are you just going to tell them, "please be nice" or something without actually attacking their ethnocentrism?
    You think Italians all have one universal monolithic culture? It is not just Northern Italy and Southern Italy; cuisine, dialects, music, and even genetics are different, even from a sub-regional level. There are Albanians, and Greeks that have been living in Italy for centuries, that exist with their own unique traditions and language. This dynamic exists in others countries as well. Like I said before, if you want to argue for the free movement of people, that is one thing. Genetics is connected to ethnicity, this we agree on. Culture, is often connected to ethnicity. People have the right to think what they want, and some, regardless if you like it or not, have a preference for their own, or familiar cultures. I am starting to wonder if you posses the mental gymnastics to grasp this.
    Last edited by Jovialis; 20-08-20 at 22:36.

  10. #135
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    672


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Genetics is connected ethnicity, this we agree on. Culture, is often connected to ethnicity. People have the right to think what they want, and some, regardless if you like it or not, have a preference for their own, or familiar cultures. I am starting to wonder if you posses the mental gymnastics to grasp this.
    do you agree with genetic ethnocentrism?

  11. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    27-05-18
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    58

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I1a1c

    Ethnic group
    Georgian
    Country: Georgia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post


    I was just quoting you on Military Power. Military Power is a zero sum game calculus. Doesn't matter how as long as you got a real advantage you got power.
    I am not disagreeing with you and your observation. However keep in mind the Black Death and the huge technological advantage the Mongols had, from composite bows, to horse riding swarms of archers, to even gunpowder. That is even without mentioning their superior supply lines, army organisation, counter intelligence, psychological warfare etc, etc.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol...tion#Gunpowder

    The whole Wikipedia entry on Mongol military is worth a read IMO.

    Another similarity between the Mongols and the British was the control of the trade from East to West (https://medium.com/@rsdancey/genghis...d-285475b9f15d) that made them immensely rich and able to draft an international multi ethnic army, which was by no means inferior to any army they faced.

    Inclusion[edit]

    As they were conquering new people, the Mongols integrated into their armies the conquered people's men if they had surrendered - willingly or otherwise. Therefore, as they expanded into other areas and conquered other people, their troop numbers increased. Exemplifying this is the Battle of Baghdad, during which many diverse people fought under Mongol lordship. Despite this integration, the Mongols were never able to gain long-term loyalty from the settled peoples that they conquered.[50]


    I highly recommend these two books:

    https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-St.../dp/B000VDUWMC

    https://www.amazon.com/Clash-Civiliz.../dp/B000R1BAH4
    Perhaps you're right. It's just my opinion that Mongols had a bigger hill to climb. Either way it's such a minuscule point that I don't see a need for argument. Thanks for the links I'll definitely look at them later on. At the moment i'm taking a break from Mongol history as it's quite a depressing topic. Very heavy reading usually.

  12. #137
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,497

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    do you agree with genetic ethnocentrism?
    I do to some degree, I am sure most people do. But I guess I am more honest than most people. Here in the United States, I am surrounded by people who are very different from me, and I judge them based on their character. Of course there are some people that would be similar to me, whose character are not as good as people who are genetically different. That being said, I am still very proud of my culture, and I recognize that it was made by people who are genetically similar to me. It doesn't mean I hate others, or judge them based on their genetics.

  13. #138
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,497

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    Okay. Good point.

    So if I was born in the US (US nationality), to 4th generation Irish-Italian grandparents on my mothers side, and Native American - Mexican grandparents on my fathers side, what would my "ethnicity" be?

    Also, you do realize most of the places with Hispanic / Latino majority in the US used to be part of Old Mexico? Do you find it acceptable that this people that lived there before the push to colonize the West from British imigrants, are now considered 2nd class citizens with remarks like "Go back to your country", "Speak English"....

    Finally, most Greek nationalists I know say Arvanites are Greek, whether they mean nationality or ethnicity, God knows. But they swear Arvanites are Greek and not Albanian. And sadly, for me as an Albanian, quite a big portion of Arvanites consider themselves Greek ethnically today, and go out of their way not to know a single word of the language their grandparents spoke (Arvanitka)... So is it because of their genes that they consider themselves Greek?
    I don't know man, if in 3 generations these people solely based on religion and geographic location, assimilated completely into the Greek ethnos, culturally and linguistically, to me it shows how it all is a big social construct, of nationalistic/ethnic whatever you want to call it, myth.

    PS: If you were indeed right. Which I have no issue with. Then how did your forefathers become "Italians" to begin with? Surely there is genetic discrepancy, linguistic discrepancy, cultural discrepancy, in the various regions of Italy? No?
    If genes were so important to determine nationality and culture, most ethnicities and cultures would have been gate-kept by such a constraint before they even formalized.

    Anyways...

    I am not saying I am right. Just my 2 cents.

    If someone was that hypothetical mix here in the United States, they would actually go through the list of the various ethnic groups, and but say their nationality is "American". Many people in the United States are "mutts", but they are conscious of the various ethnicities they are composed of.

    Italy is a constellation of various regional sub-ethnic, that comprise Italians. They were formed out of mixtures between Etruscans, Italic tribes, Celts, Greeks, Illyrians, and so on. Though genetically, and culturally, modern Italians were formed in Middle Ages.

    I think the same could be said for a lot of different countries as well. Bavarians are pretty different from North Germans. Northern French are much different from Southern French. So are Greeks from the north, compared to the south or the Islands. Jews are extremely different from one another. It seems that people want to focus on Italians for some reason. I think the reason is because virtually every culture in Europe is a derivative of Greco-Roman culture, there is some envy, and even resentment.

  14. #139
    Regular Member Archetype0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Posts
    717

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    If someone was that hypothetical mix here in the United States, they would actually go through the list of the various ethnic groups, and but say their nationality is "American". Many people in the United States are "mutts", but they are conscious of the various ethnicities they are composed of.

    Italy is a constellation of various regional sub-ethnic, that comprise Italians. They were formed out of mixtures between Etruscans, Italic tribes, Celts, Greeks, Illyrians, and so on. Though genetically, and culturally, modern Italians were formed in Middle Ages.

    I think the same could be said for a lot of different countries as well. Bavarians are pretty different from North Germans. Northern French are much different from Southern French. So are Greeks from the north, compared to the south or the Islands. Jews are extremely different from one another. It seems that people want to focus on Italians for some reason. I think the reason is because virtually every culture in Europe is a derivative of Greco-Roman culture, there is some envy, and even resentment.
    I agree with you. That was indeed my point. Culture and Ethnicity are a social construct based on general agreed consensus and norms of the members of a group. And to a great degree these social constructs transcend genetics. Be it in French, Iberian, German, English, Slav, Greek, Italian or any context. At some point in history, like you mentioned Italians in Middle Ages, or ANY European ethnos during the period, we see the creation of national myths surrounding European Nation States, also known as Ethnogenesis following the 100 Year war. With the French and the English leading the way, differentiating against each other, surrounding the legendary battles they fought and in the process creating a "national" identity.

    This to some extent explains why "Nation States" failed and are failing elsewhere. A look at the Middle East following the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the creation of various states is evidence enough. The identities there were created around religion and tribe, and the context of a "nation" was lacking. Not that I think of it... Can't recall an instance of trouble rising in the region due to "Nationalism", as opposed to, for example the Balkans.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes%...icot_Agreement
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan...one%20another.



    About envy and resentment, I am not sure, but would not be surprised if it were the case.
    However, I mentioned Italians to drive my point since I was discussing with you, and I mentioned Arvanitas since that is an example I am familiar with.
    If other people are like me, when they mention Romans or Italians as an exemplary they do so with admiration. Not sure why you took it the other way.

  15. #140
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,801

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    first lets determine the term and the limits of word ethnos which is Greek word of nation

    the primary difference is the begin older form of meaning

    nation probably has to with native and nature
    ethnos has to do rather with births,
    the very ancient define it as
    ομαιμον = same blood
    ομογλωσσον= same language
    ομοθρησκον = same religion

    later the Platonics define it with education
    'οστις μετεχει παιδειας' the ones who participates at education, culture, etc etc.
    and the blood connection was determined as Γενος, Genos has the meaning the birth, borned ones. look the word Genocide. γενοκτονια.

    sub-nations

    different subnations
    there are many and total differences in a nation, for example lets look at my country the Cretans and the continental inland mountain ones,
    they can be genetical and cultural.
    that happened mainly to natural enviroment, as also the occupation from others, (Crete was under Venician occupation, inland under Ottoman)
    their culture is different. yet shares some common,

    on the other hand lets take genetics
    Greece and Turkey for example,
    major population of Greece and Turkey share same and competable genetics,
    yet today they are 2 tottaly different nations,

    @Ailchu
    so if I connect ethnocentrism with genes,
    in case of Greece and turkey, what I must do?btw
    Ailchu 80 years ago was WW2
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  16. #141
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    672


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    @Ailchu
    so if I connect ethnocentrism with genes,
    in case of Greece and turkey, what I must do?btw
    Ailchu 80 years ago was WW2
    i think you are confusing something. why are you asking me what you should do if you connect ethnocentrism with genes? i asked a similar question to you and other people in this thread. didn't get real answers.

    if you think that turkey and greece have the same or similar genetics but different cultures then you are giving an argument to not connect genetics to culture and not to connect genetics with ethnocentrism if you only care about culture. so i don't know why you ask me what you should do, i never said you should practice genetic ethnocentrism in the first place.

    i already thought that you were referring to WW2. what i didn't get is what you ment with "there is also the UN and the diplomacy networks,
    but why to start an inner war or extermination?? "
    Last edited by Ailchu; 22-08-20 at 18:40.

  17. #142
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    672


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I do to some degree, I am sure most people do. But I guess I am more honest than most people. Here in the United States, I am surrounded by people who are very different from me, and I judge them based on their character. Of course there are some people that would be similar to me, whose character are not as good as people who are genetically different. That being said, I am still very proud of my culture, and I recognize that it was made by people who are genetically similar to me. It doesn't mean I hate others, or judge them based on their genetics.

    so do you think your group is genetically superior to others or that your culture is only possible because of people who are genetically similar to you? what group would this be?
    also do you believe genetic ethnocentrism should be involved in politics or should stay a private opinion that should never have an influence on politics?

  18. #143
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,497

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    so do you think your group is genetically superior to others or that your culture is only possible because of people who are genetically similar to you? what group would this be?
    also do you believe genetic ethnocentrism should be involved in politics or should stay a private opinion that should never have an influence on politics?
    No, I think superiority has more to do with individual genetics, more than whole genetic groups. For example, my IQ is in the top 1 percentile, so in that regard I am superior to 99% of the human race. There are people from radically different backgrounds in that percentile with me.
    African-American athletes are seemingly superior to other groups in many forms of physical activity. However, according to the CDC they are 20% less likely to get physical activity than whites. 4 out of 5 black women are obese. So is that individual superiority? Or do these athletes generally retain genetics of a particular tribe? Most blacks are generally less healthy. There is also the dynamic of nurture. But as generations pass, how much does nurture change nature? It can have the opposite affect as well.
    Personally, I think the best qualified people should be elected. But it seems that genetics means a lot more to liberals, here in the United States, as per Biden's VP pick. They picked her mostly because she is half-black. They are forthcoming about that. There were certainly more qualified people, regardless of their race or gender.

  19. #144
    Regular Member Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,874

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    @Ailchu
    ... there are no superior groups!

    some exploit genetic ethnocentrism (Identity Politics), ... it’s nothing new,
    political parties have mastered Identity Politics (Patronizing), some more than others,

    the Media talks about it often especially during Electoral Campaigns.

    ... an example: Biden said “if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you AIN 'T black”

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/polit...ack/index.html

  20. #145
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    672


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    No, I think superiority has more to do with individual genetics, more than whole genetic groups. For example, my IQ is in the top 1 percentile, so in that regard I am superior to 99% of the human race. There are people from radically different backgrounds in that percentile with me.
    African-American athletes are seemingly superior to other groups in many forms of physical activity. However, according to the CDC they are 20% less likely to get physical activity than whites. 4 out of 5 black women are obese. So is that individual superiority? Or do these athletes generally retain genetics of a particular tribe? Most blacks are generally less healthy. There is also the dynamic of nurture. But as generations pass, how much does nurture change nature? It can have the opposite affect as well.
    Personally, I think the best qualified people should be elected. But it seems that genetics means a lot more to liberals, here in the United States, as per Biden's VP pick. They picked her mostly because she is half-black. They are forthcoming about that. There were certainly more qualified people, regardless of their race or gender.

    you judge people based on their character, you do not think "your group" is better than others or that the genetics of this group are needed for the culture you like. what makes you think that you agree with genetic ethnocentrism or with what aspect of it do you agree with?

  21. #146
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,497

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    in what kind of aspect do you consider genetic ethnocentrism as a good thing then? you judge people based on their character, you do not think "your group" is better than others or that the genetics of this group are needed for the culture you like. what exactly makes you think that you agree with genetic ethnocentrism?
    I suppose, I am attracted to what is familar to me. It makes me feel comfortable, and have a sense of belonging. I don't think I need to justify it by claiming I am superior to anyone. If I was part of another group that is completely different, I would feel the same way about it. However, I will reiterate, that I only "agree" with it to a certain degree, because I do not discount the quality of others based on these aspects. It is just different.

  22. #147
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    672


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I suppose, I am attracted to what is familar to me. It makes me feel comfortable, and have a sense of belonging. I don't think I need to justify it by claiming I am superior to anyone. If I was part of another group that is completely different, I would feel the same way about it. However, I will reiterate, that I only "agree" with it to a certain degree, because I do discount the quality of others based on these aspects. It is just different.
    so i'll take from you that is is mostly rather superficial feelings with which you agree? but wouldn't you agree with me then, that, if we ignore these superficial feelings, it is actually unnecessary to connect genetics with ethnocentrism especially when we are talking about culture?

  23. #148
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,497

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    so i'll take from you that is is mostly rather superficial feelings with which you agree? but wouldn't you agree with me then, that, if we ignore these superficial feelings, it is actually unnecessary to connect genetics with ethnocentrism especially when we are talking about culture?
    I don't think it is unimportant, not to me at least. For example, would you want to marry someone that is physically unattractive, despite being of good character, and intelligent? It is part of the whole ball of wax. It may be superficial to some, but it tends to matter.

  24. #149
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,236


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    3 members found this post helpful.
    Imo, culture stems from genetics, at least in part, and at least initially. I don't see how you can completely separate it.

    No matter how many people have come to partake of the American "experience" and be indoctrinated in its values, the "system", the culture, is still basically British, as it is in Australia, and New Zealand and Canada, and it was practiced by people carrying those genetics for hundreds of years. That's why it lasted. In other places ruled by Britain where the British were a tiny minority, the systems didn't last.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  25. #150
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,497

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Imo, culture stems from genetics, at least in part, and at least initially. I don't see how you can completely separate it.

    No matter how many people have come to partake of the American "experience" and be indoctrinated in its values, the "system", the culture, is still basically British, as it is in Australia, and New Zealand and Canada, and it was practiced by people carrying those genetics for hundreds of years. That's why it lasted. In other places ruled by Britain where the British were a tiny minority, the systems didn't last.
    I agree,

    Culture is indeed at least partly tied to genetics. Even if certain components of one culture influences another, the group adopting it puts their own unique imprint on it, according to their own sensibilities. Culture, like genetics can mutate according to location. Moreover, that "mutation" of culture, probably has a correlation with the genetics of the people.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •