Countries that believe their culture is superior to others

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that this survey gives the measure of people's open-mindedness vs narrow-mindedness. People in Western Europe are less jingoistic and more open-minded about other cultures because:

1) these societies are more multicultural (not just immigrants, but also foreign workers, expats and students from abroad)
2) Western Europeans travel more and are therefore more familiar with other cultures too.

It's ironic that the poorest and least developed countries tend to think of themselves the most highly, while countries that are cultural leaders such as the UK (music, fashion, cinema, education), France (fashion, cuisine), Belgium/Netherlands (liberal laws), Sweden (egalitarianism, sustainability, social progress) are far more humble.

Its not ironic at all. Those countries consist of people who aren't ashamed of their race.

Its not ironic at all. Those countries consist of people who aren't ashamed of their race.

Which countries are "ashamed" of their race? o_O
Also do you mean ethnicity or race? Cause race as a term in Europe is not really well defined as opposed to the US. But even if you meant ethnicity, I can not think of a country ashamed of their ethnicity either...

I wouldn't trust this survey too much (like the one on attitude towards foreigners or other races) .
Then "is my culture is superior to others" might mean different things to different people - one may interpret it simply like "our ways of life...our traditions" instead of for example "our contribution to the European cultural heritage". The question in the survey is just too general to jump on conclusions or point the finger at this or that nation. Well, the Greeks (and a number of other Southerners plus France and some Easterners) have every reason to be very proud on both accounts.

It is important to know how they translate these questions.

In modern Greek, for example, there is no exact translation for the English word culture.
The word 'koultoura' (a loan from Latin) is often used for 'high culture' almost like afaiu German Kultur.
Likely they used the word 'politismos' which is a 19th century neologism used originally to translate French civilization, which has a range of meanings: civilization ~ culture ~ way of life.
Different people would understand different things.

Smart people (the minority in every countrty) would refuse to answer. To me, a 'no' answer makes a more negative impression.

TRUE

but let me remind you the words εθος and ηθος = culture
which are the true form of Greek language as concern culture
culture = εθιμον and ηθισται

in Greek language from the same root of word culture also springs the word for nation
ηθος = morale, culture that has to do with what is morale and fair, also for social matters and behavour, weddings funerals etc.
εθος = customs, get used to, addicted to, fammiliar, culture that has to do with everyday life, having fun, music, entertainment, food consuming etc
εθνος = nation

the term κοuλτουρα is a 20th century import/loan, mainly to express not local musical, entertainment etc waves,
the term κουλτουριαρης has a diffusal meaning in Greek

Ι agree with you,
the term πολιτισμος, which is a clear translation of word civilization, is used today to translate the word culture,
and the most funny is when a modern Greek 'culture-aris' :mad: use the term 'πολιτιστικη κουλτουρα', :annoyed: (civilistic ?? culture,:confused: cultural culture? :grin:)

However, I do think it is perfectly healthy to have pride in your culture. But not to a narrow-minded or chauvinistic degree. Nevertheless, aspects of some cultures are better than others, imo. I think at least Greeks have good reason to be proud of Greek culture, given the legacy. I'm not culturally Greek, and I recognize it. As did other Greco-philes throughout history. That being said, I don't think it is the be all end all.

But being proud of where you come from and where you live does not necessitate you to start believing that your culture/nation/country is superial to all others. That's when pride starts to become a venome and, ironically, a hindrance to the continued progress of your culture/nation.

Also, I think that precisely because all we can say is that culture/nation X is better than culture/nation Y or Z in a very specific matter we shouldn't be too convinced that our culture is superior, perioa, because it may be - in fact it always is - better at this, equal at that and much worse at something else, and there are many aspects of culture that simply cannot be hierarchized in a simple worse/equal/better scale, because they're just different, each of them with cons and pros, and also adapted to different environments and conditions, so that something may appear better now, but become worse in a new scenario. All in all, people who are really advanced in many things generally stop believing things are so simple and so easy to be labeled, classified and ranked, so they stop believing they are culturally superior to all other peoples as a general assertion.

In the case of Greece, previous opinion surveys showing they are also more like other Eastern European countries in acceptance of LGBT+ people, people of other races and cultural backgrounds and so on also lead me to believe that that high percentage of people feeling their culture is superior is not just because of all the compliments Ancient Greece keep receiving from everyone in the world.

In the case of Greece, previous opinion surveys showing they are also more like other Eastern European countries in acceptance of LGBT+ people, people of other races and cultural backgrounds and so on also lead me to believe that that high percentage of people feeling their culture is superior is not just because of all the compliments Ancient Greece keep receiving from everyone in the world.

Concerning 'LGBT+' people Greeks responded in a way comparable to Poles, Hungarians, Slovakians but also, for example Israelis. But the percentages are similar to 2006 USA.
With the 'help' of mass media (if that serves their interests) these views can change in a couple of decades.

All in all, people who are really advanced in many things generally stop believing things are so simple and so easy to be labeled, classified and ranked, so they stop believing they are culturally superior to all other peoples as a general assertion.

I don't know, saying that one can be too proud of their culture, despite what you consider short comings/"unadvanced", seems just as subjective a considering one's culture to be superior. For example, I think the cuisine of my family's region of Italy is "superior" to anything from say India. But that is just a matter of taste, and in matters of taste, there can be no disputes. At the same time, I think things like yoga, are admirable cultural accomplishments. Of which the Barese have no equivalency of. Perhaps it is just a matter of being comfortable with what you are accustomed to. I think the question of the survey itself is too ridged.

Last edited:
Concerning 'LGBT+' people Greeks responded in a way comparable to Poles, Hungarians, Slovakians but also, for example Israelis. But the percentages are similar to 2006 USA.
With the 'help' of mass media (if that serves their interests) these views can change in a couple of decades.

That's exactly why I said Greece in opinion surveys on moral issues (LGBT+, race, religion etc.) look much closer to Eastern European countries that are not exactly beacons of progressivism and forward thinking today, like Hungary and Poland. Of course, as you say, things may change rapidly in such highly controversial and divisive issues, given the proper social and cultural incentives, but I'm talking about what I can see right now. Given that Greece was closer to the Western capitalist world for a longer time and became much wealthier than most of the Balkans at an earlier time, I had expected a different scenario. Or maybe, as Angela also suggested, they are just less trained to be politically correct and more sincere about what they really think instead of answering what they know is the socially admired thing to say/do.

That's exactly why I said Greece in opinion surveys on moral issues (LGBT+, race, religion etc.) look much closer to Eastern European countries that are not exactly beacons of progressivism and forward thinking today, like Hungary and Poland. Of course, as you say, things may change rapidly in such highly controversial and divisive issues, given the proper social and cultural incentives, but I'm talking about what I can see right now. Given that Greece was closer to the Western capitalist world for a longer time and became much wealthier than most of the Balkans at an earlier time, I had expected a different scenario. Or maybe, as Angela also suggested, they are just less trained to be politically correct and more sincere about what they really think instead of answering what they know is the socially admired thing to say/do.

I Think is tottal different aproach as concern Greeks.

Greeks may be offencive by words even to other Greeks from other parts etc etc,
But Greeks do not attack easily others, especially foreigns,
in a country that has about 8,5 M Greeks, and 1,5 M migrants (Coming back Greeks, foreign workers, refuggees etc,)
and accepts about 25 to 30 M tourists what can you expect?
Greeks are drinking, but have you seen foreign tourists Drinking?
Greeks have sex, but have you seen tourists party?
etc etc,

I do not think that Greeks are so proud with their culture the same way as Hungary or Poland, they have attacking stance on that,
Greeks are proud for their culture rather as a defencive stance against what tourism imports,
it is tottaly different thing to consider your shelf superior as attacking stance, to save or provide your identity
than having a defencive stance to save or provide your identity

As for LGBT-QRSTWZ etc, have you been somewhere on vacations and 'been attacked' (seduce efforts) massively by them,
about 80% of modern straight Greeks do not care on what you do at your bed, meaning if you Lesbo, Gay, Trans etc
but 90% get angry even attack when an LGBT have stupid social behavour.
It is part of our neo-Greek culture,
be what ever you like at your bed, but at work, social gatherings, public places etc behave normal.

we are a nation that is dying, but proud we go,
Greeks hate globalization, yet they accepted it as nessecairy 'evil'.

just think. living at a country, that accepts 3 times the population as tourism, (with whatever their desires are)
and at least 1/6 to 1/5 is a first or second generation migrants.

I have been to an island, where Greeks were speaking to me in English German and a Balkan language,

Trully have you ever thought why Greeks could share that idea?
of better culture than others

lets focus on these 2 subjects

1. Helladic space every year is acceprting more than 25 M tourists, that is at least 3 times the clear Helladic Greek population.

2. Greek nation is about 13- 25 M all over the world, but more than 50% do not know the elemantary language.

1rst generation diaspora 13 000 000
2nd 3rd generation diaspora 19 000 000
ομογενεια (eternally living abroad Greeks with Greek consius est 24 000 000)

low birth, aged country, devastation abroad, import of other nation migrants and refuggees
so as we see is a nation that lives under the fear of Alienation
by considering and transmiting your culture better than others is a way to resist nation's Alienation
it is a defencive stance

Ειμεθα Εθνος Αναδελφον = A Nation without brothers and sisters

i guess you are too afraid to answer. i wonder what could be the reason.

Last edited:
I Think is tottal different aproach as concern Greeks.

in a country that has about 8,5 M Greeks, and 1,5 M migrants (Coming back Greeks, foreign workers, refuggees etc,)
and accepts about 25 to 30 M tourists what can you expect?

the migrant numbers are small compared to those of many countries included in the survey who have a lower result. in greece there are around 1 M according to wiki not 1.5 M or is the difference made by greeks who went back to greece?. imo pride definitly has an influence here and it's not just a defence mechanism. i can imagine the high number of tourists might actually have a positve influence on pride too, when greeks see how many people want to see the ancient greek sites.

the migrant numbers are small compared to those of many countries included in the survey who have a lower result. in greece there are around 1 M according to wiki not 1.5 M or is the difference made by greeks who went back to greece?. imo pride definitly has an influence here and it's not just a defence mechanism. i can imagine the high number of tourists might actually have a positve influence on pride too, when greeks see how many people want to see the ancient greek sites.

Wiki is refering to non EU migrants, and non Greek migrants
there are also migrants with Greek origin that lived centuries abroad, and did not even had Greek id card.

About 24 % of population, and about about 14% of working class are people who came after 1985 (open boarders with ex-USSR),
Either Greeks either not, Either from EU, either not.

45% for Germany is a shame after the horrors of the 20th Century. Maybe the numbers for Western Germany are more like the western neighbors and the ones in eastern Germany more like Eastern Europe.

Greece joining the EU was a major mistake not just from financial point of view but from maintaining your culture point of view.

There was an effort also to "repatriate" Greek descent citizens of the former Soviet Union. That was a major disaster in that there were so many fake documents produced that clerks were overwhelmed or were bribed into accepting them. A lot of those "fake Greeks" then migrated to the EU counties although a substantial number remain. There was a large migration of Albanians and also Bulgarians.

Then the refugees came...then the 20M/year tourists trampling everything.

can you give a source for the 24% migrants in greece? i can only find that 24% of the GDP is produced by migrant workers. as for refugees there are 50'000 in greece, that's not that much and they probably will all leave greece towards central europe sooner or later. or do you mean the greek refugees from anatolia after WWI?
and i think the wiki is including EU citizens too it's just that there are very few EU migrants in greece so that excluding EU migrants doesn't make such a big difference. the number is from 2011 but it probably didn't change that much since then since most people who enter greece from turkey leave it again and from the EU side the immigration probably didn't increase either.

I’d also point out to some posters upthread that in the supposedly enlightened and progressive Norway, almost 60 percent of the population thinks their culture is superior. I wonder what the real total for Sweden would be if immigrants and descendants of immigrants were not included.
Well, you have to remember that hubris is measured from its distance to actual reality. :giggle:
I'm kidding, but I don't think the results would be substantially different. This might be more in the vein of politics, but Sweden does have higher rates of crime, unemployment and a more restricted, "politically correct" public discourse, so there are reasons why some Swedes might answer more modestly than other Scandinavians. That said, Norway is maybe the most nationalistic out of the Scandinavian countries, but there are reasons. The different unions that existed between Sweden, Denmark and Norway in history usually tended towards Norway being treated as a puppet state, and the enmity towards Danish and Swedish rule persisted for a long time after and had a lasting effect on national self-image.

can you give a source for the 24% migrants in greece? i can only find that 24% of the GDP is produced by migrant workers. as for refugees there are 50'000 in greece, that's not that much and they probably will all leave greece towards central europe sooner or later. or do you mean the greek refugees from anatolia after WWI?
and i think the wiki is including EU citizens too it's just that there are very few EU migrants in greece so that excluding EU migrants doesn't make such a big difference. the number is from 2011 but it probably didn't change that much since then since most people who enter greece from turkey leave it again and from the EU side the immigration probably didn't increase either.

you still defy me,

ok this a newspapper based on Statistics, of 2011
https://www.kathimerini.gr/782557/a...-ths-elladas-poy-proerxontai-apo-to-e3wteriko

at 2011 18,8% of Greek population were migrants and 1rst generation migrants
consider that devastation and illegal migration flows raise at 2014 just count,

May I remind you
1 after 18 years old. and continoue presence, children born here are not consider as migrants
2 part of ex-USSR, Albania, etc are consider as ομογενεια (permanent living abroad) and do not count as migrants

meanwhile
from 2010 to 2020 more than 500 K educated Greeks moved abroad to migration,

more than 50 % of them had bachelor degree at least.

BTW
look the bellow

https://eacea.ec.europa.eu/national...aphic-situation-languages-and-religions-33_el

810 K are the ones that expect to take Hellenic citizenship or nativity. (today 8%)
consider from 1985 and count

can not find the exact post where about 1/4 Greeks today living ih Hellas is, or comes from migration.
while the same time Greeks had a brain drain to abroad,

I think you aren't speaking of the today's Greece, that chauvinistic feeling, i think is consecuence of a social crisis of these days, it is the only way they have to feel better, the fachas in Spain and the fachos in France have the same feeling of mitical superiority towards the others countries, a superiority that others countries fail to aknowledge which give to then reasons to be anti-europeans,

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 59549 times.

Back