The genetic structure of Norway

Bygdedweller

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Norwegian
Preprint available here: biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.20.000299v1.full (can't post hyperlinks due to my low post-count)

Abstract:
"The aim of the present study was to describe the genetic structure of the Norwegian population using genotypes from 6369 unrelated individuals with detailed information about places of residence. Using standard single marker- and haplotype-based approaches, we report evidence of two regions with distinctive patterns of genetic variation, one in the far northeast, and another in the south of Norway, as indicated by fixation indices, haplotype sharing, homozygosity and effective population size. We detect and quantify a component of Uralic Sami ancestry that is enriched in the North. On a finer scale, we find that rates of migration have been affected by topography like mountain ridges. In the broader Scandinavian context, we detect elevated relatedness between the mid- and northern border areas towards Sweden. The main finding of this study is that despite Norway?s long maritime history and as a former Danish territory, the region closest to mainland Europe in the south appears to have been the most isolated region in Norway, highlighting the open sea as a barrier to gene flow."

Not much new, but interesting nevertheless. Some key findings I drew from this:

• High rates of inbreeding in the far north (Finnmark), Oslofjord-area least inbred
  • Higher rates of Asian ancestry in Finnmark than expected, nearing 25% in the Saami-inhabited Kautokeino
  • The divergent profile of the Southernmost counties (Rogaland, Agder, Telemark) is not due to foreign gene flow or Danish admixture, but rather increased homogeneity and geographical isolation (the sea being a barrier to gene flow) resulting in genetic drift
I wasn't able to access the supplemental data. It would be interesting to see the figures for Asian/Uralic ancestry by county, although I expect it to predictably follow a north-south cline.

Very interesting Bygdedweller. Thanks for sharing.
Is there a Haplogroup breakdown?

Very interesting Bygdedweller. Thanks for sharing.
Is there a Haplogroup breakdown?
You're very welcome ArchetypeOne. :)
No, unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything of the sort. Would be interesting for sure, but I see no mention of haplogroups in the article either. I think this article is only the first in a series of ongoing research-projects on Norwegian DNA, so let's hope they publicize more data in the future.

[QUOTE = Bygdedweller; 610027] Pré- impressão disponível aqui: biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.20.000299v1.full (não é possível postar hiperlinks devido à minha baixa pós-contagem)

Resumo:
"O objetivo do presente estudo foi descrever a estrutura genética da população norueguesa usando genótipos de 6369 indivíduos não aparentados com informações detalhadas sobre locais de residência. Usando abordagens baseadas em haplótipos e marcadores únicos padrão, relatamos evidências de duas regiões com características distintas padrões de variação genética, um no extremo nordeste e outro no sul da Noruega, conforme indicado pelos índices de fixação, compartilhamento de haplótipos, homozigosidade e tamanho efetivo da população. Detectamos e quantificamos um componente da ancestralidade sami uralica que é enriquecido no norte Em uma escala mais precisa, descobrimos que as taxas de migração foram afetadas pela topografia, como cristas de montanhas. No contexto mais amplo da Escandinávia, detectamos elevada relação entre as áreas de fronteira média e norte em direção à Suécia.A principal descoberta deste estudo é que, apesar da longa história marítima da Noruega e como um antigo território dinamarquês, a região mais próxima da Europa continental no sul parece ter sido a região mais isolada da Noruega, destacando o mar aberto como uma barreira para fluxo gênico. "

Não muito novo, mas ainda assim interessante. Algumas descobertas importantes que tirei disso:

• Altas taxas de endogamia no extremo norte (Finnmark), área de Oslofjord menos endogâmica
  • Taxas mais altas de ascendência asiática em Finnmark do que o esperado, quase 25% no Kautokeino, habitado por Saami
  • O perfil divergente dos condados mais meridionais (Rogaland, Agder, Telemark) não se deve ao fluxo de genes estrangeiros ou à mistura dinamarquesa, mas sim ao aumento da homogeneidade e do isolamento geográfico (o mar sendo uma barreira ao fluxo de genes), resultando em deriva genética
Não consegui acessar os dados suplementares. Seria interessante ver os números da ancestralidade asiática / uralica por condado, embora eu espere que siga previsivelmente um cline norte-sul. [/CITAR]

interesting

My grandparents were from Rogaland but not sure if that really jumps out in my genetic profile

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

This thread has been viewed 6352 times.

Back