Flann Fina

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English, Scottish & Irish
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1-FT80630
mtDNA haplogroup
H1e2
For those who may have missed it, Hunter Provyn and Thomas Krahn (of YSEQ) have recently released a YDNA Heat Map. It’s based on YFull’s tree, so when you enter your subclade keep that in mind. Just use the subclade designation. For example: Z140

Y Heatmap
A Relative Frequency Map for Y Haplogroups
Developed by Hunter Provyn and Thomas Krahn

I can’t post links at this point but if you Google: Y Heatmap Hunter Provyn, you should find it.

For those who may have missed it, Hunter Provyn and Thomas Krahn (of YSEQ) have recently released a YDNA Heat Map. It’s based on YFull’s tree, so when you enter your subclade keep that in mind. Just use the subclade designation. For example: Z140

Y Heatmap
A Relative Frequency Map for Y Haplogroups
Developed by Hunter Provyn and Thomas Krahn

I can’t post links at this point but if you Google: Y Heatmap Hunter Provyn, you should find it.

Super awesome brother, thank you for sharing this.

I will oblige with the link since you can't post yet.

https://phylogeographer.com/scripts/heatmap.php

Here is L283:
Slx1gOw.png

yQ1IQWI.png

More specifically my clade Y21878:
w4Akvs8.png

CXdTNHg.png

I anticipate this will be a very useful tool to visualize spread of subbranches from YFULL.

Super awesome brother, thank you for sharing this.

I will oblige with the link since you can't post yet.

My pleasure!

It’s an interesting tool and thanks for posting the link for everyone!

MAPEPHILODNAyMIhaplogrupo.JPEG

Mine

How are those with the yellow and red circles different from the rest?

Mine

I will ask one of the creators.

But if I got this correctly:
https://phylogeographer.com/frequency-heatmaps-methodology/

"Methodology
I approximate relative frequency by applying a weight to each sample that is the inverse of the sampling rate [across the whole YFull tree] at that sample's location. Otherwise you would see a frequency map, subject to population density effects, rather than a relative frequency map.
To compute the world regional sampling rate, I create a Gaussian distribution around each geolocated sample."

"
Limitations of Leaflet Heatmap Plugin
The heatmap plugin computes an approximate frequency heatmap efficiently in the browser by dividing a sample's weight by the overall sampling rate computed at its exact position. To compute an exact relative frequency requires taking into account the sampling rate of surrounding locations, which may differ - a sample would skew more strongly over less-sampled regions that are equidistant from more highly-sampled regions. This behavior is not possible to compute in the leaflet heatmap as it models each sample as a point whose distribution is spread equally in all directions."

If I understand correctly, it means that a sample in under-sampled regions on YFull has a higher weight, thus creating a stronger heat signal, making it red. That is why one sample somewhere might be red, whereas in other places green, or even blue.

Since not a lot of people have done full sequencing, and even the ones that have might not upload on YFull, there is a further limitation to this approach, since its fully based on YFull as the database.

Edit: Otherwise this heat-map would not make any sense:

L2lX1PR.png

Edit 2:

https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y21878/

This heat-map might do what it advertises, but a disclaimer: it can not be used to assert origin of haplogroups. Compare the above image with the YFull link and you will get why.

Mine

I do not know if here I could see an indication about the family legend about my dnaY of the deserter from Napoleon's troops who changed his surname. I do know that the Napoleonic troops that were in my home area were Franco-Polish.

We will wait for more users to upload their files to Y full, I understand that all this is very expensive and not everyone can be in a position to afford it.

Interesting new tool!

My branch of the I1 tree seems to be Isles focused for now.

Mine. Looks Roman or what?

attachment.php
heatmap.jpg

Last edited:
Mine. Looks Roman or what?

attachment.php

It certainly does. Amazing.

I so wish my family would do more detailed testing instead of just U-152.

Here is my input. The first map is for my terminal clade, G-Z36217, the second is for its direct ancestor, G-Z726. I think this tells me that my Y-DNA ancestors lived in Europe at least as late as the emergence of Z726 (say 2,600 BC), but were in Britain by the time of the emergence of Z36217 (say 2,000 BC). That's a Bell Beaker timeframe.

Z36217:
z36217.jpg

Z726:
z726.jpg

They don’t have mine yet, ... this is the closest to it:

BY143483:
KsnmjlP.jpg

Did you remove it by any chance? For some reason I can't see it :(

No, it's still there. But I suppose you are using the mobile app? Some pictures don't show in the app. I don't know why. It's a bug that Tapatalk (the app developer) should fix.

This thread has been viewed 22283 times.

Back