Climate change Ecosia, the climate-friendly search engine

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I have switched my main search engine to Ecosia, the only climate-friendly search engine. Founded in 2009, it was the first certified B-corporation in Germany. Ecosia uses clean, solar energy to power the searches and donates most of the money generated to plant trees. This makes Ecosia a carbon-negative search engine. Unlike other search engines, it is a not-for-profit company and is privacy-friendly. Reforestation won't be back extinct species to life, but it does help reduce global warming.

According to Statcounter 92% of people worldwide use Google as their search engine, followed by Microsoft's Bing with 2.8%. Ecosia is also powered by Bing. At present Ecosia is most popular in France, where it does better than Bing, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo. Ecosia's market share is still low, but hopefully we can make it grow together.

Ecosia market share 2020

France : 1.05%
Germany : 0.79%
Switzerland : 0.73%
Belgium : 0.67%
Austria : 0.56%
United Kingdom : 0.29%
Netherlands : 0.26%
Italy : 0.23%
New Zealand : 0.18%
Australia : 0.17%
Costa Rica : 0.14%
USA : 0.12%
Canada : 0.11%
Denmark : 0.11%
Portugal : 0.11%
Sweden : 0.10%
Mexico : 0.10%
Argentina : 0.07%
South Africa : 0.04%
Brazil : 0.03%

I have switched my main search engine to Ecosia, the only climate-friendly search engine. Founded in 2009, it was the first certified B-corporation in Germany. Ecosia uses clean, solar energy to power the searches and donates most of the money generated to plant trees. This makes Ecosia a carbon-negative search engine. Unlike other search engines, it is a not-for-profit company and is privacy-friendly. Reforestation won't be back extinct species to life, but it does help reduce global warming.

Respect for putting ideas and values into concrete action.
Too many people are very idealistic without actually contributing.
I will give the engine a try. Sadly I am a bit hooked to the Google "eco"system (pun there) of services, and I suspect the vast majority is similar... But lets hope.

I recommend that you create an account to customise your search results (country, language, etc.) and see how many trees were planted thanks to your searches.

This thread has been viewed 2884 times.

Back