Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Ecosia, the climate-friendly search engine

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

2 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up Ecosia, the climate-friendly search engine

I have switched my main search engine to Ecosia, the only climate-friendly search engine. Founded in 2009, it was the first certified B-corporation in Germany. Ecosia uses clean, solar energy to power the searches and donates most of the money generated to plant trees. This makes Ecosia a carbon-negative search engine. Unlike other search engines, it is a not-for-profit company and is privacy-friendly. Reforestation won't be back extinct species to life, but it does help reduce global warming.

My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

According to Statcounter 92% of people worldwide use Google as their search engine, followed by Microsoft's Bing with 2.8%. Ecosia is also powered by Bing. At present Ecosia is most popular in France, where it does better than Bing, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo. Ecosia's market share is still low, but hopefully we can make it grow together.

Ecosia market share 2020

France : 1.05%
    Germany : 0.79%
    Switzerland : 0.73%
    Belgium : 0.67%
    Austria : 0.56%
    United Kingdom : 0.29%
    Netherlands : 0.26%
    Italy : 0.23%
    New Zealand : 0.18%
    Australia : 0.17%
    Costa Rica : 0.14%
    USA : 0.12%
    Canada : 0.11%
    Denmark : 0.11%
    Portugal : 0.11%
    Sweden : 0.10%
    Mexico : 0.10%
    Argentina : 0.07%
    South Africa : 0.04%
    Brazil : 0.03%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/J-Y21878*

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I have switched my main search engine to Ecosia, the only climate-friendly search engine. Founded in 2009, it was the first certified B-corporation in Germany. Ecosia uses clean, solar energy to power the searches and donates most of the money generated to plant trees. This makes Ecosia a carbon-negative search engine. Unlike other search engines, it is a not-for-profit company and is privacy-friendly. Reforestation won't be back extinct species to life, but it does help reduce global warming.

Respect for putting ideas and values into concrete action.
    Too many people are very idealistic without actually contributing.
    I will give the engine a try. Sadly I am a bit hooked to the Google "eco"system (pun there) of services, and I suspect the vast majority is similar... But lets hope.
    “Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible in himself, and at the same time that indestructible something as well as his trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him.”

Franz Kafka

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

I recommend that you create an account to customise your search results (country, language, etc.) and see how many trees were planted thanks to your searches.