Politics Belarus on the verge of pro-democracy revolution

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Tens of thousands of protesters have taken to the street in Belarus after the rigged presidential election confirmed a renewed presidential term for dictator Alexander Lukashenko, who has been in power since 1994.

BBC News: Belarus protests: 'We can breathe for the first time in our lives'

Six weeks ago I started a thread How GDP per capita can influence the stability of a democracy and I mentioned how Belarus was ripe for democracy.

Maciamo said:
Democracy requires enough education, economic freedom and liberties in general to reach the orange meme. To assess this, I will look into the Education Index, Economic Freedom of the World Index and Human Freedom Index. This should give is a good idea of what countries are ready for a democratic transition.

In Europe, the best candidate appears to be Belarus, which has a GDP per capita at PPP of $21,000 (IMF 2020), higher than Argentina or Brazil. It ranks 26th worldwide for education, higher than Austria, Spain, Italy or Luxembourg. Its score of economic freedom is 6.64 out of 10 (better than Greece or South Africa). It scores 6.65 in Human Freedom, better than Turkey, Thailand or Brazil. Yet its democracy index is horrible (2.48/10, 150th worldwide, below Afghanistan and Sudan!).

I hope that the time has come for the Belarussian people to take their destiny in their own hands and transition to a fully democratic system.

Last edited:
You can help the Belarussian people by signing the petition on Avaaz, the world's largest and most powerful online activist network.

The people have risen up -- demanding free and fair elections, and an end to state-sponsored violence. But Lukashenko is desperate -- he's cracked down brutally on peaceful protesters and called on Russia's president Putin to intervene on his behalf.

People's dreams die in the darkness -- let's make sure the world's eyes are on Belarus at this crucial tipping point, and help give them a fighting chance.

Our voices can make a difference: since international pressure has increased, the police have become less brutal. Governments across the world have spoken out. Some political prisoners have been released.

But Lukashenko is still rejecting calls for a free and fair election, with no signs of letting in. A massive international outcry standing with ordinary Belarusians who want change could give the peaceful protests momentum, and help them win their demands.

Click here to stand with Belarus

Although Macron deserves credit for standing up to Turkey, it’s a bit rich for him to lecture Lukashenko on the people’s right to protest.

And Americans ought to be wary of supporting unrest in other countries, lest we get a taste of our own medicine.

Tens of thousands of protesters have taken to the street in Belarus after the rigged presidential election confirmed a renewed presidential term for dictator Alexander Lukashenko, who has been in power since 1994.

BBC News: Belarus protests: 'We can breathe for the first time in our lives'

Six weeks ago I started a thread How GDP per capita can influence the stability of a democracy and I mentioned how Belarus was ripe for democracy.

I hope that the time has come for the Belarussian people to take their destiny in their own hands and transition to a fully democratic system.

Do you think Navalny's recent misfortune has anything to do with what is happening in Belarus?

This thread has been viewed 3858 times.

Back