kingjohn

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
e-fgc7391 500CE
mtDNA haplogroup
h3ap
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405844019362462

Abstract
Study of ancient DNA makes it possible to analyze genetic relationships between individuals and populations of past and present. In this paper we have analyzed remains of human bones, dating back to the 8th-10th century AD, from the burials found in the Cathedral of Santa Maria in Civitate, archaeological site of Amiternum, L'Aquila, Italy. As a genetic marker, the hypervariable region 1 of mitochondrial DNA (HVR1) was selected. To obtain reliable sequences from the hypervariable region 1 of mtDNA (HVR1) were performed: multiple extractions, template quantification and cloning of PCR products. The sequences obtained were compared with Anderson's sequence for the identification of polymorphisms (SNP) and haplogroups. The data obtained were analyzed with various software and phylogenetic methods. For the comparison between populations, ancient and modern sequences found in databases and literature have been used. This work provides preliminary information on the correlation between the population of Amiternum, the migrant populations transited and/or established in the territory of Amiternum such as Byzantines, Longobards (Lombards), which dominated the Italian peninsula between 568 and 774 AD, and the current populations of Italy.

The study of haplogroups, the analysis of genetic variability and phylogenesis studies on the sequences considered show a genetic closeness between the individuals of Amiternum, the current population of central-northern Italy and the Germanic tribe of Longobards, however, also highlights genetic traits of Byzantines in some samples of Amiternum. Using the analysis of amelogenin gene fragments, we successfully determined the sex of the bone remains on all samples.

Kingjohn: Thanks for the link to this study, one I have not read before.

The mtDNA haplogroup results reported:

Samples AmiternumHVR-I motif (16024–16384)
Mutations/rCRS
Haplogroup/Subhaplogroup HAPLOGREEPHaplogroup/Subhaplogroup MITOMASTERHaplogroup/Subhaplogroup EMPOP
S. 42 IX-XA16183C, C16234TH13a1dH13a (H13a1d)H13a1d
S. 45 IX-X secT16126C, C16234T
16362C
R0aH14b (H14b1)H14b1
S. 46 IX-X secC16069T, T16126C, C16256TJ1c2a2J1c (J1c2a2)J1c2a2
S. 48 VIII secG16129T, C16234TH13a1dH13a (H13a1d)H5n

First of all we're talking about HVRI results.

I wouldn't be so sure those are correct.

Second of all, "IF" they're correct, what are four results supposed to tell us?

Third of all, it's mtDna. If you want to know about large folk migrations and their source, y Dna is much more helpful.

First of all we're talking about HVRI results.

I wouldn't be so sure those are correct.

Second of all, "IF" they're correct, what are four results supposed to tell us?

Third of all, it's mtDna. If you want to know about large folk migrations and their source, y Dna is much more helpful.

amazing isn't it the year 2019 and they can't do full sequence :LOL:

not much but i don't see anything interesting in anthrogenica threads
so i put this article ..... :unsure:

agree :) ( hope to see an article with y dna of ancient remains soon)

amazing isn't it the year 2019 and they can't do full sequence :LOL:

not much but i don't see anything interesting in anthrogenica threads
so i put this article ..... :unsure:

agree :) ( hope to see an article with y dna of ancient remains soon)

Please don't misunderstand; I appreciate you posting about it.

It's just frustrating. :)

The study by Poma et al. (2019) found that haplogroup H is about 55% in northern and central Italy, while the percentage is around 33% in southern Italy, where haplogroups J and R0a are more common. The results still do not prove that the genetic contribution of the Lombard migration is responsible for the higher percentage of haplogroup H in northern and central Italy. The authors acknowledge that they will have to introduce Y-DNA haplogroups to this study to get a more reliable picture on genetic relationships.

Although the size of the sample studied is numerically small, haplogroup H is the most represented and is consistent with the frequency of haplogroup in the Italian population of central and northern Italy, which is about 55%, compared to southern Italy where the the percentage is around 33%; haplogroups J and R0a have a greater percentage in southern Italy (Brisighelli et al., 2012). Further investigations were conducted on haplogroups identified with the mtDNA database, v4/R12 - EMPOP, Fig. 7 shows the geographical distribution of haplogroups, in Europe and the Middle East, performed with Haplogroup Browser (www.empop.org), from which we can deduce the high frequency of some haplogroups in Northern Europe and the Middle East, geographical areas that they could have genetically contaminated the populations we studied.

1-s2.0-S2405844019362462-gr7.jpg

Our goal, in the light of the results of this research, will be to introduce some loci of the y chromosome into the study, which will allow us to have a more robust and reliable response on genetic relationships. Moreover, to understand the genetic contribution of the Lombard and Byzantine migration on modern populations, the number of medieval samples of a wider geographical area will be increased, as suggested by historians.

The study by Poma et al. (2019) found that haplogroup H is about 55% in northern and central Italy, while the percentage is around 33% in southern Italy, where haplogroups J and R0a are more common. The results still do not prove that the genetic contribution of the Lombard migration is responsible for the higher percentage of haplogroup H in northern and central Italy. The authors acknowledge that they will have to introduce Y-DNA haplogroups to this study to get a more reliable picture on genetic relationships.

Given the paltry amount of U-106 and I1 even in northern Italy, even if each man brought a wife who carried mtDna H, it wouldn't explain the numbers.

Why on earth lay it at the door of the Lombards. Why wouldn't the most logical possibility be the Italics who arrived carrying U-152?

It makes no sense to me. Sixty thousand Lombards, including women and children didn't completely change the make up of northern Italy.

Why in spreadsheet R0a is placed before H14b?
What is the ratio of the second to the first, isn't H14b a branch of H?

This thread has been viewed 4861 times.

Back