Society New maps showing when young adults leave the parental home

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Two maps to show how independent young adults are from their parents in each country. Both use the data from Eurostat.

Here is the average age young people leave their parent's home. The youngest is 17.2 years old in Sweden. The oldest is 33 years old in Montenegro.

Age_leave_parental_home.png

The second map shows the percentage of young adults aged 25 to 29 years old who are still living with their parents. Denmark has the fewest (5%) and Croatia the most (76%). In the USA it is 32%, similar to Belgium.

Adults_living_with_parents.png

South Europeans often claim that adults keep living with their parents for economic reasons. But there is no real correlation between the share of young adults staying with their parents and either GDP per capita or unemployment.

For example Italy is wealthier than Spain, Portugal, Romania, Turkey, Czechia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. Yet far more Italians stay with their parents. Northern Italy and wealthier than southern France, but the French are far more eager to escape parental supervision.

Luxembourg and Ireland are the two richest countries in the EU and both have low unemployment, but 38% and 40% of 25-19 years old respectively still live with their parents.

It's mostly a cultural thing, and not necessarily related to linguistic groups nor to the north-south divide. French people are Romance speakers but leave home early. Turkey is a Mediterranean country, but a similar percentage of young adults as in Ireland live with their parents.

Last edited:
From an Asian perspective...
https://twitter.com/_alice_evans/status/1301058429792944128

My father would have been more difficult, but I would have given anything to have my mother live with me, and my husband agrees.

Before disease took them too early we had already planned on buying what is called here a "Mother-Daughter" house, where there is a separate attached or incorporated apartment for elderly parents, often a separate floor or an above ground floor with separate entrance.

I lived for a good bit of time with my father's mother. We shared the same room and double bed. She was one of the most influential people in my life and I adored her. I deeply regretted, and resented, when another one of her sons or daughters would want to claim her for a while. She didn't want to leave my mother, but as she said, she couldn't hurt the others by refusing to spend some time living with them.

So, yes, culture is a big part of this.

This thread has been viewed 4030 times.

Back