Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See: From Uppsala University
Megha Srigyan et al

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.03.281261v1

"The Middle East plays a central role in human history harbouring a vast diversity of ethnic, cultural and religious groups. However, much remains to be understood about past and present genomic diversity in this region. Here, we present for the first time, a multidisciplinary bioarchaeological analysis of two individuals dated to late 7th and early 8th centuries from Tell Qarassa, an open-air site in modern-day Syria. Radiocarbon dates, religious and cultural burial evidence indicate that this site represents one of the earliest Islamic Arab burials in the Levant during the Late Antiquity period. Interestingly, we found genomic similarity to a genotyped group of modern-day Bedouins and Saudi rather than to most neighbouring Levantine groups. This is highlighted through substantial Neolithic Levant ancestry in our samples, inviting an alternative scenario of long-term continuity in this region. This raises questions about the influence of ancient populations and historical migrations to genetic structure in the Middle East. As our study represents the first genomic analysis of an early Islamic burial in the Levant, we discuss our findings and possible historic scenarios in light of forces such as genetic drift and their possible interaction with religious and cultural processes."

Well, I still have to get through the Supplementary Info, but I've always believed that the genetics of the Levant must have changed to some degree with the movement of "Arabic" tribes into the area. I realize this wasn't/isn't politically correct in certain circles but I still think it makes the most sense, especially given the make up of earlier samples from the Levant.

From Shai Carmi:
"looking back, these genomes have almost entirely Levant Neolithic ancestry, with barely any ancient Iran(-related) ancestry. This is in contrast to all post-Neolithic ancient samples from the Levant that were genotyped in recent work by us ..."

"It would be nice to see replication with methods other than supervised ADMIXTURE."

The Lebanese tend to be a little bit more Euro-shifted compared to Bronze Age Levantines. I think the impact of "Arabic" tribes are negligible or at least minor. Lets see.
I would like to see if maybe they increased J1 in levant by 5% or something like that.

Estimating ancestry proportionsTo obtain a deeper understanding of the different ancestries contributing to modern and historicMiddle Eastern populations, we also performed a supervised ADMIXTURE analysis withsources similar to. These sources represent populations close to the Eurasian and Africangroups contributing to modern Middle East populations. The two historic Syrian samples derivethe majority of their ancestry from Neolithic Levantine populations (Levant_N, 91.3%) as wellas minor proportions from Neolithic Iran (Iran_N, 4.1%) and European hunter-gatherers (WHG,4.6%). Bedouin B are almost entirely derived from Levant_N (98.7%), with a very smallpercentage from Iran_N. Saudi derived more than half of their ancestry from Levant_N (63.4%),and the rest from Iran_N (36.1%) and Yoruba (0.5%). These results show that all three groupshave high contributions from Neolithic Levantine groups but at different proportions, supportingthe general observation of similarities between them but also consistent with a lack of a directmatch to the Late Antiquity Syrian individuals in our modern reference panel (SupplementaryFig. S3)

source:
pdf :
page 5

there haplogroups y and mtdna

syr005-

mtdna-
j2a2a1a1 666-768 AD
y dna -
j

syr013
mtdna - R0a2
665-766 AD