R1b spoke Proto-Basque-like language originally?

Originally when R1B was discovered, it was thought we R1b folks came from Western Europe because of how common our YDNA is there. They Archeogenetic, we have been able to trace R1B to the Southern Yamna Culture :) 174CAFBF-6295-4252-AB80-F57981CCB021.jpg
https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml

Originally when R1B was discovered, it was thought we R1b folks came from Western Europe because of how common our YDNA is there. They Archeogenetic, we have been able to trace R1B to the Southern Yamna Culture :) View attachment 12331
https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml

R1b came from R1 and R1b arrived europe before proto-ındo-european. I think that R1b people spoke originally proto-basque like languages(not only proto basque but include relative or cousin of it). R1b descent from west or central asia and R1b go to west and central europe and spread own proto-basque like languages and this languages died after proto-indo-european expansion and only basque survive.

R1b came from R1 and R1b arrived europe before proto-ındo-european. I think that R1b people spoke originally proto-basque like languages(not only proto basque but include relative or cousin of it). R1b descent from west or central asia and R1b go to west and central europe and spread own proto-basque like languages and this languages died after proto-indo-european expansion and only basque survive.

What is your evidence that R1b arrived in Europe before Indo-European languages? Reference please.

Y-R1b is a so numerous and forked male lineage since a so long time that we cannot ascribe all of them the same unique familiy of languages, I think. For Y-R1, it was so long ago born... The lineages as R1b-V88 could have spoken very different languages compared to the R1b-L23 descendants ones. For languages continuity or shift, we have a lot of different occurrences, depending on more than a cause (relative densities, military power and organisation, trade, founder effects for Y lineages...

I rather think R1b-L23 is a solid candidate for Indo-Europeans. Even the Balkan IE groups like Thracians, Illyrians, Greeks were R1b-Z2103 carriers. Even the Anatolian ones. Likely the original Indo-Iranians as well before Indo-Europeanizing their distant R1a brothers.

R1b is in Europe since the Late Paleolithic, but the R1b found in 99% of the European males who carry R1b today - subclades of R1b-M269 - certainly came from easternmost Europe after the Early Copper Age.

Now, for the umpteenth time: haplogroups are haplogroups, they are not people, and their transmission from one generation to the next generation works in a fundamentally different way from what happens to people's genome when their parents breed to make them. Read this if you want to understand what I mean: https://qr.ae/pNoQAE

Basques e.g. have >85% R1b-L23, but the people who first had it and brought it to the western parts of Europe account for no more than ~25% of their overall ancestry. And that's talking about genetic roots of people, not linguistic ancestry. If Y-DNA and genomic ancestry are often very disconnected from each other, let alone linguistic identity: one language can be replaced by other even without any major genetic replacement (e.g. notice how many Irish people shifted from Celtic Irish to Germanic English in the last ~150 years alone, or how many Basque speakers shifted to French in Southwestern France in the last ~200 years).

You can't always assume that the language spoken by a people is a descendant of the original language spoken many thousands of years ago by the first males who bore the haplogroup that is NOW (but no one can guarantee it was always) the most prevalent in that population. There is no necessary causal correlation between one thing and the other. Actually, that's very often not true for many reasons: elite dominance, genetic drift, random genetic bottlenecks and founder effects, cultural shift under foreign influence, etc. I have said that multiple times in the threads created by kmak, but it seems he/she never reflects about it and never learns.

Besides, Proto-Basque was technically spoken only 2000-2500 years ago. It's impossible that the first men carrying R1b before 20,000 years ago spoke Proto-Basque, it couldn't even be a language similar to Proto-Basque even if it were really ancestral to Proto-Basque. In 20,000 years a language changes and diverges into increasingly distinct languages so much that it'd be impossible to even recognize the linguistic connection between the earliest and the latest languages easily.

I rather think R1b-L23 is a solid candidate for Indo-Europeans. Even the Balkan IE groups like Thracians, Illyrians, Greeks were R1b-Z2103 carriers. Even the Anatolian ones. Likely the original Indo-Iranians as well before Indo-Europeanizing their distant R1a brothers.

I think the PIE dialect continuum was diverse from the start in overall genetic makeup and Y-DNA distribution. Some groups had more CHG:EHG ratio than others, some had mainly R1b-L23, some mainly R1a-M417. There were also minor lineages like Q1a, I2 and perhaps even some J2b. In my opinion the Indo-Europeanization of R1a clans and tribes happened well before the Indo-Iranian linguistic stage. That was already too late. It must've happened before when Late PIE hadn't even lost its appearance of an unbroken dialect continuum, with major differences only at the peripheries. I also think PIE was originally linked to mainly R1b tribes of the steppes, but R1a groups must've been inolved in the Indo-European expansion since well before the Indo-Iranians, at least from the period immediately preceding the CWC expansion into Northern Europe.

I think the PIE dialect continuum was diverse from the start in overall genetic makeup and Y-DNA distribution. Some groups had more CHG:EHG ratio than others, some had mainly R1b-L23, some mainly R1a-M417. There were also minor lineages like Q1a, I2 and perhaps even some J2b. In my opinion the Indo-Europeanization of R1a clans and tribes happened well before the Indo-Iranian linguistic stage. That was already too late. It must've happened before when Late PIE hadn't even lost its appearance of an unbroken dialect continuum, with major differences only at the peripheries. I also think PIE was originally linked to mainly R1b tribes of the steppes, but R1a groups must've been inolved in the Indo-European expansion since well before the Indo-Iranians, at least from the period immediately preceding the CWC expansion into Northern Europe.

I wonder that R1a and R1b languages is sister or para languages of each other in the beginning? I think that R1b language is great grand father of proto basque and R1a language is great grand father of Proto-IE.

Can linguist or scientist know that what language spoken by R1 originally?

I doubt we ever find with certainty what language was spoken by Y-R1 at first, and even what one was spoken by Y-R1b. For R1b-M269 we can suppose it was in the region envolved in PIE development, maybe early intricated with some Y-R1a clades bearers. For other Y-lineages, I have no "religion". Suppositions, because we are not sure every clade under M269 was in the PIE game. In fact our suppositions become more credible when we speak of the principal spreaders of IE, but most numerous spreaders are not always the first speakers of a language. Let's look at Romances and English languages spread into America. Nevertheless I keep R1b and R1a as very early speakers of PIE and then IE, withtout any proof helas. We have not had confirmation of the reality of a sort of pan-basque language spoken in Saami lands OR on the way of Saami towards their current home. The same for a proto-Satem one in the same conditions. I regreat it. The kind of proto-Satem one could not be to extraordinary. Battle Axe cousins of CWC east of the Baltic? All that to say we are just making suppositions in absence of writings. Personally I would rather link proto-Basque to some Y-I lineage.

This thread has been viewed 8983 times.

Back