Genetics and handedness

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I've always wondered about this. In my father's family most of them seem to be ambidextrous; like my mother my left hand is almost useless.

"[h=1]Genome-wide association study identifies 48 common genetic variants associated with handedness"[/h]
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-00956-y

"Handedness has been extensively studied because of its relationship with language and the over-representation of left-handers in some neurodevelopmental disorders. Using data from the UK Biobank, 23andMe and the International Handedness Consortium, we conducted a genome-wide association meta-analysis of handedness (N = 1,766,671). We found 41 loci associated (P < 5 × 10−8) with left-handedness and 7 associated with ambidexterity. Tissue-enrichment analysis implicated the CNS in the aetiology of handedness. Pathways including regulation of microtubules and brain morphology were also highlighted. We found suggestive positive genetic correlations between left-handedness and neuropsychiatric traits, including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Furthermore, the genetic correlation between left-handedness and ambidexterity is low (rG = 0.26), which implies that these traits are largely influenced by different genetic mechanisms. Our findings suggest that handedness is highly polygenic and that the genetic variants that predispose to left-handedness may underlie part of the association with some psychiatric disorders."

Interesting study but I'd like to see other people take it on as well. Know plenty of lefties who are neither schizophrenic nor bipolar, although of course I realize they're not saying it would apply to every person.

This thread has been viewed 2954 times.

Back