Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: SSA ancestry in modern-day North Africans

3 members found this post helpful.

SSA ancestry in modern-day North Africans

It's said that North Africans are distinct from Sub-Saharan populations (SSA), and are closer to West Asian and European populations than to Sub-Saharan populations. Modern North Africans over the centuries have mixed with these Sub-Saharan populations though. I wondered how much SSA (Sub-Saharan DNA) ancestry modern North Africans have. I made some models based on academic samples: SSA ancestry in modern-day North Africans ranges from 15% to 36%, the average is 19.5%. I think that genetic studies underestimate SSA in modern North Africans.

What do you think? What do the genetic studies support?

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

It would be interesting to see the results for Kabyles (N-Coast Algeria Berbers), Chaoui (Aures Mountains Berbers) and Rif Maroccans (Berbers), surely a bit different compared to nomadic Berbers of Oasis?

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    It would be interesting to see the results for Kabyles (N-Coast Algeria Berbers), Chaoui (Aures Mountains Berbers) and Rif Maroccans (Berbers), surely a bit different compared to nomadic Berbers of Oasis?
    Most of this SSA seems to have entered North Africa within the last 2-1000 years, mostly with the Arab slave trade. My hunch is that mountain dwellers like the Chaoui and Rif people, who are more isolated and could probably not afford slaves, have less. I don't know about Kabyles, but I would guess on the low end.

It's certainly possible to have origins there and only have the faintest trace of SSA. Look at the North African Jews.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

1 members found this post helpful.
    @Angela
    It was my "secrete" thought