Are you a secretor or non-secretor?

Are you a secretor or non-secretor?

• Total voters

firetown

Banned
Reaction score
More information is coming my way examining secretor and non-secretor status in association to COVID-19 and other diseases caused by viral origin.
http://www.rhesusnegative.net/stayn...-and-secretor-phenotype-with-severe-covid‐19/
Did you DNA testing company provide you with such information? (if you have genetic raw data, look up rs601338)
I am also especially and personally curious about the following:
- If you are a non-secretor, what is your Rh blood factor (negative or positive).
- If you are Rh negative, what is your secretor status?

Non-secretor and 0 negative. I might have had it already with unpleasant but non-serious symptomes, but it wasn't tested out.

No secretor

AB+

This AA allele of rs601338 (= non-secretor) was already known to confer resistance to Norovirus infection. Apparently it also provides some resistance to Coronavirus. Things are not as straightforward as that though. Based on the graph from the paper, the A allele only reduces the Covid-19 mortality rate of people with non-O blood types. For O types, the mortality rate is the same for AA or GG, but slightly higher for AG.

trf16130-fig-0001-m.png

This AA allele of rs601338 (= non-secretor) was already known to confer resistance to Norovirus infection. Apparently it also provides some resistance to Coronavirus. Things are not as straightforward as that though. Based on the graph from the paper, the A allele only reduces the Covid-19 mortality rate of people with non-O blood types. For O types, the mortality rate is the same for AA or GG, but slightly higher for AG.

trf16130-fig-0001-m.png

An association between secretor status and HIV has also been suggested back in 2000:
The FUT2 gene encodes the enzyme alpha (1,2) fucosyltransferase, which determines expression of blood-group antigens on mucosal epithelial cell surfaces and in secretions. Homozygotes for a specific stop mutation in FUT2 (nonsecretors) cannot produce this enzyme and thus are unable to express blood group antigens. Nonsecretor status is associated with a decreased risk of several respiratory viral infections. By use of molecular genotyping, 2 populations of Senegalese women were examined for polymorphisms of the FUT2 gene. Among Senegalese commercial sex workers, absence of FUT2 (nonsecretor genotype) was associated with reduced risk of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 infection (odds ratio [OR] adjusted for cervical and vaginal infection, 0.18; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.04-0.90) and HIV-2 infection (adjusted OR, 0.43; 95% CI, 0.13-1.39), although the latter was not statistically significant. Modification of cell surface carbohydrates at mucosal surfaces determined by the FUT2 gene may underlie the protective association against heterosexual HIV infection.

Secretor polymorphism and human immunodeficiency virus infection in Senegalese women

More and more studies suggest that Rh negative blood (complete D gene deletion) also has a form of protection from COVID-19, especially death. The one Rh negative (A-) person recorded in the NYP study who died turned out to have a weak D expression, not a complete deletion, as is common in Rh negative people of Asian descent.

Covid-19-blood-group-distributions.png

62018326_1252232581595031_3821232673834139648_n.jpg

rh-factor-covid.jpg

Both Donald Trump and Prince Charles are Rh negative. They caught it, but low symptomatic.

Several new studies have been published as well as additional revisions have been made regarding Rh negative blood and COVID-19 in the past few months. All suggest something similar.

There is very little information out there and very few studies regarding secretor and non-secretor status. I predict that just as Rh negative blood is being examined more and more, so will be secretor and non-secretor status in light of the times we live in.

Ok I have a question about this. If you are a non secretor, does the O blood type still confer protective skew ?

I'm an O negative non secretor. So I basically secrete absolutely no antigens (antibodies)?

I've been curious about this.

This thread has been viewed 10873 times.

Back