how did my haplogroup come to north england?

YRD3

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
J1-P58
mtDNA haplogroup
J1
hi. I am from north England and my haplogroup is J1a2b2 [J1-Z1884]. i heard it is common in the middle east, north africa and south italy. my family have lived here and in ireland for hundreds of years and i have an english surname. does anyone have an idea how i got this haplogroup?
sorry if anything is confusing, i am no expert at this :)

Join a ftdna project and ask administrators

hi. I am from north England and my haplogroup is J1a2b2 [J1-Z1884]. i heard it is common in the middle east, north africa and south italy. my family have lived here and in ireland for hundreds of years and i have an english surname. does anyone have an idea how i got this haplogroup?

Many different ways, looking at known historical events -

1. Romans who may have carried small amounts of J1 (maybe phoenician?), there is also over 6% of Roman R1b U152 in England along with some other Southern European clades which probably travelled with Romans

2. Jewish, I think Jews have a short history of settling in England but then we don't know if this is a Jewish clade maybe Arab father had a Jewish wife/partner

3. Slave? England has a history with slavery. I am not sure how much J1 was found in the countries where England took most slaves from (since I don't know where they took them from), there is more J1 towards East Africa & North

J-y13481

Hi again I'm user YRD3. I had to create a new account my last one was a quick one I made, forgot the password.

I've had a look on ftdna. I believe the specific haplogroup is J-FT264818 (going down the tree: FT264818 - Y13481 - FT3509014 - FGC4412 - FGC4415 etc) Does anyone have any information on this haplogroup? Thanks.

Thank you for the link.
Since the arab armies never made it to Britain during their invasions, my theory is that i have a paternal arab ancestor who settled in spain and his descendants sailed by boat to Britain and settled there. I can't think of another explanation

J-Z1884 at the same level as J-L858 which does not tell you much as it is about 5,000 years old. To find anything out about the possible origin of the person who bequeathed the subclade, more SNP testing is needed.

How did it end up in England? People traded over long distances, people joined armies like the Roman Army, people were bought and sold as slaves, maybe he just wanted to live in a country with a cold and wet climate.

Nice topic

Arabian or other Semitic expansion into europe such as carthaginians, Arabian empires in middle age.

Its maybe Phoenician or Jewish heritage,J-Z1884 is 4400 years old according to Yfull, its considered as mostly Semitic, all your "cousins" on Yfull : https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Z1884/

Hello. I am searching, as you are, for an ancestor with Roman-Eastern Mediterranean DNA, and an English place surname. I recently came across the English/Turkish connection, and you may find the English/Turkish connection interesting. Google British Turks.

Arabian or other Semitic expansion into europe such as carthaginians, Arabian empires in middle age.

Arabs never met the Carthaginians .......they where extinct 900 years earlier , before the Arabs entered north Africa

I doubt there are many Arabs even that went beyond Libya as history states the Moors are arabinzed ( linguistically ) Berbers ............we know Berbers are not arabs

This is highly unlikely. The oldest J1-Z1884 has been found in Turkey, J1-Z1884 seems to be a haplogroup that likely dispersed into 2 groups long ago, one heading deeper into the middle east and the other further into Turkey/Anataolia/Europe.

It is most likely due to the Roman Empire is why he has it.

Maybe a sephardic jew at some point moved to the netherlands(common thing in 15th century) and from there he goes to the british isles and have a son .You guys check J-BY65 on yfull, this one is also pretty weird, looks insular keltic(TMRCA 300 bce) maybe phoenician??God knows.

This thread has been viewed 12424 times.

Back