Whole Genome Sequencing is getting cheaper!

Jovialis

Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
You would think after testing with five different consumer genomics companies, I would be satisfied. Rather, I am thinking about which company I should go with to obtain 100% of my genome. I understand that 30x medical grade whole genome sequencing is the gold standard, for high-quality analysis. So I am not interested in obtaining anything more than that. I would be able to download a BAM file, of my own genome, and run it through WGS Extract to produce a raw data file. I see that Nebula Genomics is currently offering WGS 30x coverage for only $299 on sale, down from $1000. However, I will probably skip this a gift for myself for Christmas, and wait for my birthday. Hopefully it will be even cheaper by then.

You would think after testing with five different consumer genomics companies, I would be satisfied. Rather, I am thinking about which company I should go with to obtain 100% of my genome. I understand that 30x medical grade whole genome sequencing is the gold standard, for high-quality analysis. So I am not interested in obtaining anything more than that. I would be able to download a BAM file, of my own genome, and run it through WGS Extract to produce a raw data file. I see that Nebula Genomics is currently offering WGS 30x coverage for only $299 on sale, down from $1000. However, I will probably skip this a gift for myself for Christmas, and wait for my birthday. Hopefully it will be even cheaper by then.

Hmmm. Upon closer investigation I see you have to also pay to access your data. Which will cost you another good chunk of cash.

what about the WGS test from sequencing.com ?
It currently costs 360$ and offers your data to download at no additional cost + it seems that they use the hg38.

Did you end up buying one ?
Meanwhile, my Greek friend who bought a Dante Labs kit during the black friday sales has his kit on the sequencing started step since 24/12 which is as I understand a quite good processing time for this company. Hopefully he'll get his results in the appropriate timeframe (late January/early-mid February) , reading comments online there are still a lot of people's kits stuck on this step or previous ones for months or even nearing a year but they usually are US customers...

Did you end up buying one ?
Meanwhile, my Greek friend who bought a Dante Labs kit during the black friday sales has his kit on the sequencing started step since 24/12 which is as I understand a quite good processing time for this company. Hopefully he'll get his results in the appropriate timeframe (late January/early-mid February) , reading comments online there are still a lot of people's kits stuck on this step or previous ones for months or even nearing a year but they usually are US customers...

I haven't yet, but I really would like to eventually. I want to obtain a BAM file of my DNA, which I will convert into raw data, similar to how I did it for aDNA.

From YouTube videos I've seen, it looks like it takes a few months for them to produce the results. Which is understandable considering they are sequencing the entire genome.

I didn't know that Dante Labs was actually an Italian-based company, with HQs in Abruzzo.

4e7b5b69-91ce-4a17-a7b8-aded6b36ad61.png

This thread has been viewed 8647 times.

Back