New MyHeritage update (groups)

Do you know whether he is German or Ashkenazi Jewish? Its a fairly common normal name in Germany, but appears also quite frequently among Jewish people:
https://forebears.io/surnames/redlich

he is

Reddicks are German in origin, having had the surname recorded as Radick upon arrival in Savannah, GA in 1737. Back in the Odenwald region of southwest Germany the name had been Rettich / Rettig and a century earlier the family was named Retgen. Rettich is German for the vegetable radish. My suspicion is that the surname changed with circumstances - either a move to where there were already Rettich / Rettig folks residing or else when my Retgen ancestors perhaps took up radish farming........info from Reddick site owner

new news, associated with the above.............
Johannes Rettich was born in Gadernheim, Reichenbach Parish, in 1701. He married Maria Barbara Wolff circa January, 1724.

other family members live in Erbach-Schonberg Hesse Germany

As far as I know the Pole has never mentioned the Rettig/Reddick line , he only mentions the Brooks and Curtiss line .....................maybe I should ask................I will also recheck the year long chit-chat via messenger and let u know

He states his family circa 16th century is a mix of German, Dutch and Scottish......moving from old "east Frisia " to Poland ............that all I have relevant in old messenger texts

I did ask him about Reddick, Neuman and Poe ..............Neuman ended up being my 3rd cousin once removed, from 1905 line ( thats when it split off ) , Poe is related to Neuman and I will ask him where Reddick fits on his ftdna tree

... distant Y clade from mine,
he has Polish roots, ... no ethnic or religious informations.

I am in constant contact with the Pole in messenger ............he was born in Pomerania Poland and was raised in Lublin Poland...........still lives in Poland , but also in Norway ( being an engineer on tankers must be highly paid )

He claims no polish ancestors except that he was born in Poland

He has far more snp matches than I with the Brooks line ..............which also has the Curtiss line....which leads into the Frush line ....................everyone mentioned here is ydna of T1a2

Is religion an issue, if so, let me know and I will ask him

... same as you, I get Trentino-South Tyrol too.
I included the surnames, just in case some sounds familiar to you.

uQfr0Sy.jpg

7S3vnow.jpg

I get for surnames

Common surnames
Rossi

Ferrari

Zanella

Bianchi

Carraro

Moro

Zanon

Barbieri

Fontana

Marin

Trentin

and for
Related groups in 1600-1650 ...................I don't know from 1604 when the family arrived in veneto if if was via Schio in Vicenza side or the Fonzaso ( south Belluno proivince ) side .......as 2 brothers married 2 sisters , but they split

[h=5]Italy (Vicenza)

[/h]

[h=5]Italy (Vicenza and Verona)

[/h]

[h=5]Italy (Rivamonte Agordino)

[/h]

[h=5]Italy (Treviso)

[/h]

[h=5]Italy (Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia) #2

[/h]

[h=5]Austria (Tyrol) and Italy (Trentino-South Tyrol)

[/h]

[h=5]Italy (Trentino)

[/h]

[h=5]Italy (Trentino) and Austria (Tyrol) #2

[/h]

[h=5]Italy (Trentino) and Austria

[/h]

[h=5]Italy (Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia) #1

[/h]

Lecce (Salento) Timeline, 1600 - 2000:

... yep :grin:

SngTjYW.jpg

@Torzio
you get Marin and I get Marino.

you get Moro, ... Aldo Moro was from Maglie (Lecce).
he was the former Italian Prime Minister kidnapped and then killed by the Brigate Rosse.

@Torzio
you get Marin and I get Marino.

you get Moro, ... Aldo Moro was from Maglie (Lecce).
he was the former Italian Prime Minister kidnapped and then killed by the Brigate Rosse.

see T posts as I forgot I had some links with your region ...........it is 2012 conversation with administrator of Ysearch ( ftdna closed this site down , very bad , as it was a wonderful site )

I get for surnames

Common surnames
Rossi

Ferrari

Zanella

Bianchi

Carraro

Moro

Zanon

Barbieri

Fontana

Marin

Trentin

Zanon ................meaning Big John ....as coming from the word Zane meaning Giovanni

Marin ................from the word Mar ( the Sea )

Zanella ............coming from Giovanna ( Joanne )

Marino and Marina are common given names in Italy (same roots of the word "Mare").

Of course , what are you trying to say

a lot of Christian names became surnames in the veneto and I assume other regions

Santolin ..........from santo
Bortolin ..........from bortolo ( meo )
Michielin ..........from Michiel ( michele )
Guidolin ........from Guido

others went down the surname endings with either, ato, otto, igo, acco, er, in, and a few others

Mare and Pare is mother and father in venetian

or the less formal , mama and papa are used for parents

Madre and Padre are used solely for the religious side as in nuns and priests

i ending surnames do not originally exist in the Veneto ...........they are either due to other italian migrating or later in the 18th century being used to replace the term detto ( some say ) ...........so you would have a town with very many of the same surnames , so originally detto used
eg ......Zaia detto stival ...........Stival ( boot maker ).......this Zaia family was the ones known as boot makers ..................or you could have Zen detto Ros , either this Zen family had red hair or married with the Ros family
the i came into effect to represent many or another form to replace detto

I get for surnames

Common surnames
Rossi

Ferrari

Zanella

Bianchi

Carraro

Moro

Zanon

Barbieri

Fontana

Marin

Trentin

and for
Related groups in 1600-1650 ...................I don't know from 1604 when the family arrived in veneto if if was via Schio in Vicenza side or the Fonzaso ( south Belluno proivince ) side .......as 2 brothers married 2 sisters , but they split

Italy (Vicenza)

Italy (Vicenza and Verona)

Italy (Rivamonte Agordino)

Italy (Treviso)

Italy (Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia) #2

Austria (Tyrol) and Italy (Trentino-South Tyrol)

Italy (Trentino)

Italy (Trentino) and Austria (Tyrol) #2

Italy (Trentino) and Austria

Italy (Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia) #1

I am not sure how accurate the surnames are above .................in the DNA myheritage matches for me and my father, I confirmed via birth, death and marriage records the following surnames , Bolzan, Marcon, Rostirolla, Pavan, Karlin, Bacchion, Benetton, Trevisiol, Steiner, Rocco and Contarin as linked with my paternal line ..................maybe the surname above might be my maternal line

I am not sure how accurate the surnames are above .................in the DNA myheritage matches for me and my father, I confirmed via birth, death and marriage records the following surnames , Bolzan, Marcon, Rostirolla, Pavan, Karlin, Bacchion, Benetton, Trevisiol, Steiner, Rocco and Contarin as linked with my paternal line ..................maybe the surname above might be my maternal line

In the groups relevant for me the surnames are just representatives of the regional ethnic group, not necessarily my family tree. The names listed are just the most common names of the whole cluster, so if the cluster is a geographical region, of this geographical region. That's all. It might be a hit, by chance, by probability, because if Schmidt and Wagner are frequent, chances you got it, somewhere in your tree. If a name in a village appears over and over again in the church book, and I know my ancestors lived in that village for many hundreds of years more, chances are just extremely high that this surname will appear, sooner or later, in my tree too. For many names that was indeed the case, first I read them in a church book for other entries again and again, and after some generations one of this family appeared, was the husband or wife.
So don't give too much to the few names they list, these are just the common names for your cluster, whether you have them proven in your record or not.

new cities added in myheritage for myself in the past 24 hours

I think mine hasn't changed.

... Chieti (Abruzzo) goes from the Dolomites to Etna :)

KQWTHi4.jpg

Lecce timeline:

SngTjYW.jpg

... update:

Lecce (Salento) x 5 :giggle:

... (it makes sense, ... it's my birthplace)

bsO4D9i.jpg

My genetic groups are Greeks, Romanians, Bulgarians and Eastern Europeans (Ukranians, Belarussians), with confidence levels of High, medium, low and low which is surprising to me since I expected people from Bulgaria to be closer than people from Romania. Now my mtdna u51b is prevalent in Siberia, Romania, Bulgaria (6.4%) and surprisingly in Greece (3.1%) and Italy (3.1%). I just found out that a rare BRCA1 mutation (exon 20 deletion that is shared by my two sisters and my mother is almost exclusively found amongst West Germans closest to the Netherlands and the Dutch themselves. Amazing but what is the connection? U5a1b is 2% of German mtdna. Is the mutation farther back in time or is it in historical time? Ostrogoths? Germanic mercenaries? Germanic palace guards?

Of course , what are you trying to say

a lot of Christian names became surnames in the veneto and I assume other regions

Santolin ..........from santo
Bortolin ..........from bortolo ( meo )
Michielin ..........from Michiel ( michele )
Guidolin ........from Guido

others went down the surname endings with either, ato, otto, igo, acco, er, in, and a few others

Mare and Pare is mother and father in venetian

or the less formal , mama and papa are used for parents

Madre and Padre are used solely for the religious side as in nuns and priests

i ending surnames do not originally exist in the Veneto ...........they are either due to other italian migrating or later in the 18th century being used to replace the term detto ( some say ) ...........so you would have a town with very many of the same surnames , so originally detto used
eg ......Zaia detto stival ...........Stival ( boot maker ).......this Zaia family was the ones known as boot makers ..................or you could have Zen detto Ros , either this Zen family had red hair or married with the Ros family
the i came into effect to represent many or another form to replace detto

Are names ending in -OTTI from the Veneto, eg CHELOTTI?

This thread has been viewed 59453 times.

Back