New MyHeritage update (groups)

... that’s probably one of the extra reasons that drove Alexander to go East instead of West :)

lol. It is the same reason why the Incas, after some incurations in the eastern region of South America, preferred to be quiet in the altitude of the Andes.

Notice the lack of that particular Greek genetic group in Puglia, besides Taranto, ... that according to Herodotus, Taranto was the only place near Salento that eventually the Ancient Greeks were able to retake after the elimination of the Spartan Colonies by the Messapi.

... ma subirono una sconfitta così terribile, che si ebbe allora il più grave massacro di Greci di tutti quelli che noi conosciamo; ... “Herodotus”
https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messapi

b0ePIKl.jpg

... the rest is just older shared ancestry, imo

... a lot of people know the story of the 300 Spartans, almost nobody knows what was happening to the Spartans in Puglia and Calabria around that same timeline.

from an old strabo map ............migration to Italy circa 1000BC for picene and Apuli

Note Iapodes sit next to Liburni on map

good one Duarte :LOL:

thanks Christa and Torzio.

... I can’t vote for now :)

my Lecce genetic group is full Leccese, ... not from mixed Americans or ... ,

... the Grikos and Grecìa-Salentina are part of the Province of Lecce,

... there's no sign of Greece in any of the maps and places.

I guess my Lecce genetic group is not related to the Grikos and the modern Greeks.

... 1600 to 2000 and between:

R5Uz6zQ.jpg

jvoGcKy.jpg

7KBALZu.jpg

Common names of my results with Flevoland (Netherlands)

FlevolandPresbiteriano.jpeg

BY7452.jpg

This is science, I'm the one who got Flevoland and there's my full Y status.

And since I was a child I've felt Presbyterian or something like that, that's something you know.

So, the Phoenician of Andalusia is out of the question, because if there were Phoenicians here until 2021, my last name has only 16 people in the place, it doesn't seem to fit. And headbutting against a wall is not going to happen, I'm sorry it doesn't suit me.

And then the oral tradition of my family about the deserter from Napoleon's troops is another fact. So, at least I have taken a big step forward if I look at it from the perspective of the time I started until today.

That's right and that's how I tell it

... Salentini in general don’t label each other differently, we integrated our customs and cultures,

... very few Griko speakers remain,

... though many of the Griko towns still proudly display their ancient connections and background, ... bet you that by now their genetics are not that close to their ancestors.

Same people, ... from Salento, but:

Leccese:

Griko:

Common names of my results with Flevoland (Netherlands)
FlevolandPresbiteriano.jpeg

BY7452.jpg

This is science, I'm the one who got Flevoland and there's my full Y status.
And since I was a child I've felt Presbyterian or something like that, that's something you know.
So, the Phoenician of Andalusia is out of the question, because if there were Phoenicians here until 2021, my last name has only 16 people in the place, it doesn't seem to fit. And headbutting against a wall is not going to happen, I'm sorry it doesn't suit me.
And then the oral tradition of my family about the deserter from Napoleon's troops is another fact. So, at least I have taken a big step forward if I look at it from the perspective of the time I started until today.
That's right and that's how I tell it
If your ancestor moved to Spain in the early 1800s with Napoleon's troops, you can easily find out the exact origin of your family. They are a few generations. You can consult the birth registers in your municipality or the registers of your parish to build your family tree. Find out everything in 1 or 2 days of research.
through the registers you can get to 1500.

I am very easy to find using Google.

I wish for more Salentini to share their results, from Grecìa-Salentina too.

I keep posting my results, but I’m not able to compare them with others from Salento.

Perhaps it is not necessary for them to Post their results because they can compare them directly with mine.

I should stop posting my results for a while, ...

... e se non parli Inglese, usa Google Translate, ... il messaggio è più importante della grammatica, ... sbaglio spesso pure io :)

If your ancestor moved to Spain in the early 1800s with Napoleon's troops, you can easily find out the exact origin of your family. They are a few generations. You can consult the birth registers in your municipality or the registers of your parish to build your family tree. Find out everything in 1 or 2 days of research.
through the registers you can get to 1500.

My ancestor was from Montejaque (Málaga) and in the preambles of the Spanish Civil War the communists set fire to churches and Town Halls so that the baptismal, matrimonial e.t.c. and civil registry archives of the Town Halls were burned and for more inri the archives of Montejaque were the most damaged in all Andalusia.

Then my ancestor moved to the neighboring province of Cadiz. Currently there is no one in Montejaque with my last name.

I have the oral tradition and the fact that in Montejaque it is known that there were desertions from Napoleon's army.

Dozens of Romantics had traveled to Andalusia before the Napoleonic invasion and had invented many stories about our origins and identity just by seeing the Alambr but they did not know that those neighbors, farmers, merchants and people of the village centuries earlier had been colonists of the territories conquered from the Muslims and in addition to trying to lead a normal life and raise their families with the enemy a few miles away had the duty to defend the conquered territory so Napoleon was unaware that he was going to face a civil society with much military experience behind him.

desertores5.jpeg

desertores%2Bfranceses1.jpeg

desertores%2Bfranceses3.jpeg

desertoresapuertosingleses.jpeg

https://books.google.es/books?id=Tj...onepage&q=desertor frances montejaque&f=false

These writings speak of French deserters in the latter 6000 French deserters are taken to the ports of England.

I think this is a good development for my research. Flevoland is one more point of intersection, evidently this intermediate history is the most complicated I can almost imagine better the oldest part, but good that history I will tell it later.

My ancestor was from Montejaque (Málaga) and in the preambles of the Spanish Civil War the communists set fire to churches and Town Halls so that the baptismal, matrimonial e.t.c. and civil registry archives of the Town Halls were burned and for more inri the archives of Montejaque were the most damaged in all Andalusia.
Then my ancestor moved to the neighboring province of Cadiz. Currently there is no one in Montejaque with my last name.
I have the oral tradition and the fact that in Montejaque it is known that there were desertions from Napoleon's army.
Good.
Then you can find in the municipality of Cadiz, where He lived, the death certificate of your ancestor, He will have died in the mid 1800s. In the
death certificate could be noted where he was born , so you can find out the nationality and perhaps the city of origin and the name of his parents.

Good.
Then you can find in the municipality of Cadiz, where He lived, the death certificate of your ancestor, He will have died in the mid 1800s. In the
death certificate could be noted where he was born , so you can find out the nationality and perhaps the city of origin and the name of his parents.

There, too, the church and its archives and the Town Hall were burned.

Anyway I will do some research and I am already in contact with a professional now with all the Covid is all stopped.

As far as the Greek Group is concerned, I guess there was a lot of emigration to Europe during the Ottoman occupation. As far as my own results are concerned there was only detailed time related info for the Greek group (59%) and not the others (Balkan 33%, Scandinavian 5.1% and Askenazi Jews 2.9%). I have a question though. All this time stamped info, is it from genealogical trees or DNA?

As far as the Greek Group is concerned, I guess there was a lot of emigration to Europe during the Ottoman occupation. As far as my own results are concerned there was only detailed time related info for the Greek group (59%) and not the others (Balkan 33%, Scandinavian 5.1% and Askenazi Jews 2.9%). I have a question though. All this time stamped info, is it from genealogical trees or DNA?

Family trees of kits used to form a genetic group.

SURdeEspa%25C3%25B1a1600.jpeg

SURdeEspa%25C3%25B1a1700.jpeg

SURdeEspa%25C3%25B1a1800.jpeg

SURdeEspa%25C3%25B1a1850.jpeg

SURdeEspa%25C3%25B1a1950.jpeg

SURdeEspa%25C3%25B1a2000.jpeg

SurdeEspa%25C3%25B1a%252CFranciaArgelia1A.jpg

surdeespa%25C3%25B1a1950apellidos.jpg

TatarabueloFern%25C3%25A1ndez.jpeg

Imagen0059-Colorized.jpg

By surname it leads me to them. They are my great-great-grandfather (father of my maternal great-grandmother dna mt) and his son.

What a luxury by God, genetic studies with photographic archive, this is not seen every day.

Family trees of kits used to form a genetic group.

if I stretched it, I might understand how Greece got in the picture, ...

but you, me and J get Romania too, and if we get it, bet you that many other paesani nostri get it too.

What’s the recent connection ???

... I think they’re also using some of our ancient shared ancestries to match us with these populations through their Family Trees.

Many Romans moved to Romania, though could be Bronze Age or earlier.

Last edited:
if I stretched it, I might understand how Greece got in the picture, ...

but you, me and J get Romania too, and if we get it, bet you that many other paesani nostri get it too.

What’s the recent connection ???

... I think they’re also using some of our ancient shared ancestries to match us with these populations through their Family Trees.

Many Romans moved to Romania, though could be Bronze Age or earlier.

I don't know connection with Romania. I know the connection with the merchants of Dalmatia in Apulia during the centuries in Middle Ages. I have read of Slavic presence in Apulia in 1500s, but I think more of Adriatic coast of the Balkan.

I don't know connection with Romania. I know the connection with the merchants of Dalmatia in Apulia during the centuries in Middle Ages. I have read of Slavic presence in Apulia in 1500s, but I think more of Adriatic coast of the Balkan.

When we went to Italy in 2019, we stayed at a B&B that was a a working olive estate outside of Rossano in Calabria (doing a bit of agroturismo). The family that owned it, their surname was Greco. With that surname you would expect they were Greek but actually they were Serbian and had owned the estate since the 1200s. I would think that in the Middle Ages there might have been some population movement to Italy from the Balkans.

When we went to Italy in 2019, we stayed at a B&B that was a a working olive estate outside of Rossano in Calabria (doing a bit of agroturismo). The family that owned it, their surname was Greco. With that surname you would expect they were Greek but actually they were Serbian and had owned the estate since the 1200s. I would think that in the Middle Ages there might have been some population movement to Italy from the Balkans.

"Greco" is a surname that more broadly indicates a Balkan origin, beyond the fact that the groups arrived were actually ethnic Greeks, Albanians or Southern Slavs...

https://ganino.com/cognomi_italiani_g

The major cause was the Ottoman advance, but even earlier there were movements and arrivals of those people along the Adriatic coast, mostly employed then as workers, artisans, shepherds and farmers. For some of them we know almost names and surnames (I'm sorry: the contribution is a scan of an old paper in Italian)

http://rsa.storiaagricoltura.it/pdfsito/59_3.pdf

This thread has been viewed 59443 times.

Back