MyHeritageDNA New MyHeritage update (groups)

In my town in 1500s there was a street called Via dei Greci (Street of Greek) for the albanians and slaves who lived there.

The major cause was the Ottoman advance, but even earlier there were movements and arrivals of those people along the Adriatic coast, mostly employed then as workers, artisans, shepherds and farmers. For some of them we know almost names and surnames (I'm sorry: the contribution is a scan of an old paper in Italian)

http://rsa.storiaagricoltura.it/pdfsito/59_3.pdf
Someone of these Balkan families were also noble or knights who fled for the Ottoman invasion of the Balkan.

that surname originated in Florence, was a nickname for Clever and knowledgeable.
It is one of the most common surnames in Italy.

Greco surname could have different origin. It could indicate in same cases the origin from the Balkan, or a nickname or other reasons. Only with a family tree it's possibile to discover the origin of the name.

Edit ..... ....

Last edited:
that surname originated in Florence, was a nickname for Clever and knowledgeable.
It is one of the most common surnames in Italy.

deleted as irrelevant

Last edited:
deleted as irrelevant

Last edited:
When we went to Italy in 2019, we stayed at a B&B that was a a working olive estate outside of Rossano in Calabria (doing a bit of agroturismo). The family that owned it, their surname was Greco. With that surname you would expect they were Greek but actually they were Serbian and had owned the estate since the 1200s. I would think that in the Middle Ages there might have been some population movement to Italy from the Balkans.

deleted as irrelevant

Last edited:
"Greco" is a surname that more broadly indicates a Balkan origin, beyond the fact that the groups arrived were actually ethnic Greeks, Albanians or Southern Slavs...

https://ganino.com/cognomi_italiani_g

The major cause was the Ottoman advance, but even earlier there were movements and arrivals of those people along the Adriatic coast, mostly employed then as workers, artisans, shepherds and farmers. For some of them we know almost names and surnames (I'm sorry: the contribution is a scan of an old paper in Italian)

http://rsa.storiaagricoltura.it/pdfsito/59_3.pdf

The article seems to be about

La riva degli Schiavoni

La riva prende il suo nome dai mercanti provenienti dalla Dalmazia

Place where Dalmatian merchants resided ............it is to the left of the Doge palace over the first bridge

Riva = Foreshore
Schiavoni does not initially mean slavs, but the term was initially applied to Dalmatians.......and not Croats , as Croats where termed differently

The Doge personnel guards where always 100% from Dalmatia, most taken from excess sons of the merchants at Riva Degli Schiavoni

Though there are so many families, people hire professionals to figure it out. They pay a lot of money.

Though there are so many families, people hire professionals to figure it out. They pay a lot of money.

deleted as irrelevant

Last edited:
Could you done your family tree yourself without professionals. I have help friends in the pass.

The article comes from this magazine

http://rsa.storiaagricoltura.it/scheda.asp?IDF=59&IDS=3

It specifically concerns the migrations of groups of Albanians and Slavs in the Marche at the end of the Middle Ages and in the early modern age, based on archival evidence.
As for the "Schiavoni" mentioned here, the author refers not only to Dalmatians and the inhabitants of the coast, but also to people from the interior: in Senigallia, at the beginning of the 15th century, individuals originating from Zagreb and Bosnians are reported (see page 9 of the article)

In any case, even if it is starting to be a fairly dated publication, this is one of the texts that has best debated the issue (unfortunately I don't think it is more commercially available, if not used, but it should be available in a good university library)

https://books.google.it/books/about/Italia_felix.html?id=CX0nAQAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Could you done your family tree yourself without professionals. I have had friends in the pass.

it depends on how many Bastard sons there are in a family.

surnames could be relatives, ... or not.

Bari genetic group common surnames:

lqFq91X.jpg

Russo means Russian, Lorusso - the Russian, Franco - french related or a Franco (Frank barbarian)

I also thought so in the past , but then, in all ancient register that I have consulted Russo and Lorusso were the dialect form in South Italy of Rosso (red) , maybe for people of red hair. Indeed Rossi is the main surname for all Italy and in South is Russo and Lorusso ( Lo Russo = Il Rosso= the Red).
The same person was called with the surname Rosso and Russo in different document, in 1500s and 1600s.
Many surnames change with the dialect of different regions.

Maybe someone could be or Russian origin, but most Russo are simply the variant of Rosso/i.

then we’ll agree that people with surnames that evoke a place do not necessarily originate from that place.

The article comes from this magazine

http://rsa.storiaagricoltura.it/scheda.asp?IDF=59&IDS=3

It specifically concerns the migrations of groups of Albanians and Slavs in the Marche at the end of the Middle Ages and in the early modern age, based on archival evidence.
As for the "Schiavoni" mentioned here, the author refers not only to Dalmatians and the inhabitants of the coast, but also to people from the interior: in Senigallia, at the beginning of the 15th century, individuals originating from Zagreb and Bosnians are reported (see page 9 of the article)

In any case, even if it is starting to be a fairly dated publication, this is one of the texts that has best debated the issue (unfortunately I don't think it is more commercially available, if not used, but it should be available in a good university library)

https://books.google.it/books/about/Italia_felix.html?id=CX0nAQAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Far enough .............Schiavoni in the early days meant the non-slavic Dalmatians that spoke the Vegliot Dalmatian dialect became extinct in the 19th century. A mix of Roman Latin and old Venetian .

Croatians where always called Croati and never anything else..........every croatian men when hired as horsemen for venetian land forces where noted as croati

Bosnians had another term or Venice never mentioned them or stated them as a mix of Avars and Slavs

IMO.........old Dalmatians was the main branch of many "Illyrian" tribes, who later mixed with italic people coming from italy under the Roman empire , to create a mixed language ........then fell under Hungaria and after a 400 years of an on-off war between Venice and Hungary, fell to Venice............, Venice took ownership in 1430ish to 1797 .......its this period the Vegliot took hold

This thread has been viewed 59862 times.

Back