Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Roman Emperors First Century CE

Ethnic group
    Italian

3 members found this post helpful.

Roman Emperors First Century CE

This one is pretty good, I think, except for the first one; I doubt he was that dark.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

2 members found this post helpful.
    Amazing video. In my opinion they mostly look like modern day Italians in general, still its amazing what can be done today (making a human out of a statue.
    Anyways I do not know about the others but in the case of Augustus although he supposedly looked close to the statues it is know that at this time in Rome the features were much more idealized unlike in the time of the late republic when according to the writers of the time (I do not remember which one, sorry) the features present in the statues were as close as possible to the actual person. I believe that is the reason why, again in general terms, the emperors look much more "beautiful" than what we can see for instance with Caesar, Pompey or Crassus. The emperors look generaly more groomed though I recognize that some still look somewhat "ugly" looking like Galba or Vespasian.
    Good Year to all.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V22/YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

I found it very funny that Galba would have given him a good pinch in those cheeks and a couple of slaps. The previous ones most admired in the e.t.c. cinema have seemed to me schizoid, very dangerous, except maybe Claudio.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by suebiking View Post
    Amazing video. In my opinion they mostly look like modern day Italians in general, still its amazing what can be done today (making a human out of a statue.
    Anyways I do not know about the others but in the case of Augustus although he supposedly looked close to the statues it is know that at this time in Rome the features were much more idealized unlike in the time of the late republic when according to the writers of the time (I do not remember which one, sorry) the features present in the statues were as close as possible to the actual person. I believe that is the reason why, again in general terms, the emperors look much more "beautiful" than what we can see for instance with Caesar, Pompey or Crassus. The emperors look generaly more groomed though I recognize that some still look somewhat "ugly" looking like Galba or Vespasian.
    Good Year to all.
    I agree that they look like some typical modern day Italian types, but I don't find any of them very good looking. :)

We've improved in looks over the centuries. :)

I also don't think Caesar was bad looking, depending on the statue used and the "transformation", of course. In this one, I really like the way he looks. It's a quite common modern Italian look as well. Or maybe I'm prejudiced; he looks quite a bit like my maternal grandfather, or at least the same type.

My ugliest Roman of the Republic: Cato the Elder. I don't think it's even a contest.

His character matched his looks.

He's enough to give children nightmares.

Number 7 reminds me of someone.

Ethnic group
    Tuscan

Very nice!

I saw many of those faces just travelling my country

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk