Roman Emperors First Century CE

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This one is pretty good, I think, except for the first one; I doubt he was that dark.

Amazing video. In my opinion they mostly look like modern day Italians in general, still its amazing what can be done today (making a human out of a statue.
Anyways I do not know about the others but in the case of Augustus although he supposedly looked close to the statues it is know that at this time in Rome the features were much more idealized unlike in the time of the late republic when according to the writers of the time (I do not remember which one, sorry) the features present in the statues were as close as possible to the actual person. I believe that is the reason why, again in general terms, the emperors look much more "beautiful" than what we can see for instance with Caesar, Pompey or Crassus. The emperors look generaly more groomed though I recognize that some still look somewhat "ugly" looking like Galba or Vespasian.
Good Year to all.

I found it very funny that Galba would have given him a good pinch in those cheeks and a couple of slaps. The previous ones most admired in the e.t.c. cinema have seemed to me schizoid, very dangerous, except maybe Claudio.

Amazing video. In my opinion they mostly look like modern day Italians in general, still its amazing what can be done today (making a human out of a statue.
Anyways I do not know about the others but in the case of Augustus although he supposedly looked close to the statues it is know that at this time in Rome the features were much more idealized unlike in the time of the late republic when according to the writers of the time (I do not remember which one, sorry) the features present in the statues were as close as possible to the actual person. I believe that is the reason why, again in general terms, the emperors look much more "beautiful" than what we can see for instance with Caesar, Pompey or Crassus. The emperors look generaly more groomed though I recognize that some still look somewhat "ugly" looking like Galba or Vespasian.
Good Year to all.

I agree that they look like some typical modern day Italian types, but I don't find any of them very good looking. :)

We've improved in looks over the centuries. :)

I also don't think Caesar was bad looking, depending on the statue used and the "transformation", of course. In this one, I really like the way he looks. It's a quite common modern Italian look as well. Or maybe I'm prejudiced; he looks quite a bit like my maternal grandfather, or at least the same type.
1vnsNJ_0Nw5U9vG00

My ugliest Roman of the Republic: Cato the Elder. I don't think it's even a contest.
Patrizio_Torlonia.jpg

His character matched his looks. :petrified:

He's enough to give children nightmares.

Very nice!

I saw many of those faces just travelling my country[emoji1]

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk

This thread has been viewed 4903 times.

Back