italouruguayan

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Mixed , mostly Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1B U106 L44
mtDNA haplogroup
A2
Uruguayan footballer Edinson Cavani, a Manchester United player, was sanctioned for responding to a greeting from a Uruguayan friend, with an apparently terrible phrase: Gracias, negrito!
The sanction consists of a three-game suspension, a financial payment, and a "re-education course."
What do you think?..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13617496/cavani-banned-man-utd-instagram/

The context of the sentence needs to be analyzed. I believe that Cavani referred affectionately to his friend. In Brazil, women married to black men usually refer to them as "meu pretinho” (my little black) and men married to black women refer to her as "minha preta” (my black). There is no racism in those references. The punishment to Cavani is an absurd.

He should have fought it; explaining the context. This will stick to him forever.

Welcome to Britain, the capital of the new WOKEDOM.

It's taking over here as well.

On Cavani's Facebook fan page, the majority of opinions were in favor of him. But as some people, I suppose that ignoring the context, said that the sanction was correct, I wrote this:

Dear sirs of the Football League:
Thank you very much for teaching Mr. Edinson Cavani good manners. To him, and to all of Latin America. We are really a bunch of racists and ignorant, and our language, Spanish, contains a lot of inappropriate words. You, belonging to an obviously superior culture, originating from a country that throughout its history has shown its deep love for other races and cultures, must teach us how to behave, and how we should speak our own language. It is the duty of higher cultures to guide lower cultures, like ours.
P.S: very good about the re-education courses for Mr. Cavani. It is something typical of all freedom-loving countries....

On Cavani's Facebook fan page, the majority of opinions were in favor of him. But as some people, I suppose that ignoring the context, said that the sanction was correct, I wrote this:
Dear sirs of the Football League:
Thank you very much for teaching Mr. Edinson Cavani good manners. To him, and to all of Latin America. We are really a bunch of racists and ignorant, and our language, Spanish, contains a lot of inappropriate words. You, belonging to an obviously superior culture, originating from a country that throughout its history has shown its deep love for other races and cultures, must teach us how to behave, and how we should speak our own language. It is the duty of higher cultures to guide lower cultures, like ours.
P.S: very good about the re-education courses for Mr. Cavani. It is something typical of all freedom-loving countries....

I appreciate the sarcasm. :)

They won't listen, however. These type of people are like the Stalinists of a bygone era, clinging to their "faith" even when their eyes and facts told them otherwise, and even when it turned on them.

I appreciate the sarcasm. :)

They won't listen, however. These type of people are like the Stalinists of a bygone era, clinging to their "faith" even when their eyes and facts told them otherwise, and even when it turned on them.

Exactly, Angela.
In addition, they do not realize that, pretending to fight against racism, they fall into cultural discrimination, since they tell other peoples that their ways of expressing themselves are incorrect. My own wife calls me "negrito", and also says that to our son. Could it be that she has racial hatred towards us? :).
I don't know if you saw the link for "The Sun": the word "negrito" in Cavani's greeting to his friend is pixelated, as if they were covering someone's genitalia. How would any English speaker react if he found out that, for example, the English word "caterpillar" is a horrible insult in a certain country, and that just mentioning it, even among compatriots, would lead to severe penalties?

This thread has been viewed 3934 times.

Back