What did ancient Rome look like?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
With modern technology we've learned more and more about the actual colors and metals used. It's so different from the sterile, cold "Rome" imagined by 19th century foreigners.

Of course, to be fair, they're not showing the tenement slums, but neither do slide shows of Paris show you the rings of mainly North African slums surrounding the city.

And also without police.

So many decades with an impenetrable marble-white image of Rome that this more realistic vision with very elegant color contrast in the decoration makes many other aspects of daily life in ancient Rome much better understood.

Many spaces that are seen in the video or aesthetics adapted to the times are currently in force in cities or towns, I have not chirped the images, very recognizable.

And also without police.

So many decades with an impenetrable marble-white image of Rome that this more realistic vision with very elegant color contrast in the decoration makes many other aspects of daily life in ancient Rome much better understood.

Many spaces that are seen in the video or aesthetics adapted to the times are currently in force in cities or towns, I have not chirped the images, very recognizable.

Very well put, Carlos. You express my sentiments exactly: extremely elegant yet vibrant with color and life.

I would love to see an accurate and well acted and plotted movie set in Rome which utilizes all this new information.

Wow, someone needs to recreate an exhibit in a museum to showcase the color, maybe call it Colors of the Ancient World :)

I see there's a similar video from the same channel but depicting ancient Greece. Epic.

Very true.

This thread has been viewed 5749 times.

Back