Are Italians discriminated against in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from ethnicity, the Catholic faith of the Italian or Irish migrants, for instance, played also a significant role for their discrimination in the USA. In addition to that, many Italian and Irish migrants were very poor and came from rural places. In general people who are poverty-stricken, and so-called "peasants" will face discrimination regardless of their ethnic background. So, it's not only the "wrong" ethnicity that causes discrimination. Besides, the WASP were the top dogs in the USA and Germans and Swedes were also below them. In Australia the majority was also Protestant. Anyway, today Italo-Australians are well integrated, and regarded just as white Australians. Same goes for Canada. On the other hand, the Australian Aborigines who have gained more acceptance, are still pretty marginalized and live as bad as Native Americans in the reservation.

Religion is not a factor in Australia now as it was in the beginning under English rule .................when protestant English transported catholic Irish to Australia.

There is stated that no religion is part of Australia Constitution .......it is blank .............over the last 3 census ( 1 every 10 years ), the % of people that follow No-religion in Australia has increased and sits second on the chart at 30 something % , christian is first with 54% .........................

There is also a push from some societies of the puplic, that until all religious groups/instituations prove that they have gender equality and a woman can eventually lead a religious group/instituation , then the push from these societies is to target these religious institutions...but this is another side issue in Australia

Aside from ethnicity, the Catholic faith of the Italian or Irish migrants, for instance, played also a significant role for their discrimination in the USA. In addition to that, many Italian and Irish migrants were very poor and came from rural places. In general people who are poverty-stricken, and so-called "peasants" will face discrimination regardless of their ethnic background. So, it's not only the "wrong" ethnicity that causes discrimination. Besides, the WASP were the top dogs in the USA and Germans and Swedes were also below them. In Australia the majority was also Protestant. Anyway, today Italo-Australians are well integrated, and regarded just as white Australians. Same goes for Canada. On the other hand, the Australian Aborigines who have gained more acceptance, are still pretty marginalized and live as bad as Native Americans in the reservation.

Only slight addition: German Catholics did not face the same kind of discrimination as the Irish and the Italians. I don't know why, as the Irish were also Northern European looking, and, in fact, often fairer than the Palatine Germans, unless it was because the English attitude toward the Irish as ungovernable savages was transported to the U.S. with the original settlers, especially the Ulster Scots-Irish who were such a big factor in so many parts of the country.

Then too, when many of them came they were fleeing the potato famine, and were malnourished, wearing ragged clothing, and suspected of harboring disease. The "No Irish Need Apply" for both jobs and housing were real as were signs saying No entrance for Negroes and the Irish. An entire political party, the "Know
Nothings", had as one of its major platforms, the stopping of immigration from Ireland.

Last edited:
I saw yesterday this movie
Nuovomondo
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0465188/
on a sicilian family
Who migrated to usa ellis island
Good movie
...👍

P.s
It show the harsh jorney
and the reality faced to them
In usa back in the day

I saw yesterday this movie
Nuovomondo
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0465188/
on a sicilian family
Who migrated to usa ellis island
Good movie
...������
P.s
It show the harsh jorney
and the reality faced to them
In usa back in the day

Yes, I've seen it. It does do a good job of showing their lives and the horrible journey. I just couldn't stand the woman and the relationship story, but I'm a harsh critic always. :)

Believe it or not, but Europe today is less racist than some countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America. Unfortunately, racism and colorism exist among all ethnicities and nations.

some parts are, i don't think it really applies to whole europe. it's one of the criteria for me between a more advanced society and a more backward one. anyways relativism is not a good idea here. a murderer of 10 is still a murderer even if there is another one who killed 100.

Perhaps you're unaware that we don't allow provocateurs or t-rolls on this site.

Watch it.

Is there a kind of self-discrimination in Italy as well?
I ask because I read a few years ago, a discussion in which a Sicilian woman said she would rather not say in Italy, that she is from Sicily, as if for fear of discrimination.
I also read a joke in which a 30-year-old Italian, from Calabria i think, tells his parents that he has finally found a 50-year-old wife to marry. His parents are upset that she could be his mother. His answer being ... "Yes, but she's Sicilian!" lol!

IDK is there discrimination against the Irish, and Scottish, in the United Kingdom? Is there discrimination from Northern Germans, against Bavarians? Is there discrimination against Walloons, from Flemish? Is there discrimination from Catalonians against the rest of Iberia?

This is not an honest question, and it is not an honest thread. Whose audience, of which I can see, are mostly not honest posters, nice try. Actually not, because you could see all of this from a mile away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 7576 times.

Back