Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 368

Thread: The genomic history of the Aegean palatial civilizations.

  1. #201
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,599


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Sometimes I think no one reads my posts, so I just won't bother in the future. Don't read the papers, don't read the supplements or look at the tables, don't do your research or at least follow the links I post. Believe whatever nonsense you hear on other sites where the morons also don't do their homework.

    I said that two of the samples were completely ancestral for SLC45A2 and one, the Cretan one, was heterozygous. I said it innumerable times. That makes it highly unlikely they were fair.

    I know that this latest Hirisplex is for use all round the world. THAT's why I linked to the paper with PICTURES of the skin color for each designation used. THERE IS NO GUESSWORK involved.

    I guess, as always, no one can even be counted on to click links. These are the skin colors in the Hirisplex system.



    Is it finally clear what they mean???


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  2. #202
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,299

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    if i understand it correctly, looking at the table of genotypes only 1 individual was heterozygous with the derived allele of SLC45A2 associated with light skin. the other 2 were homozygous with the ancestral allele.

    Indeed but someone should have a look
    At the genomes of Log4 and Mik15
    From what i saw in another thread they were homozygous for the G derived allele of slc45a2
    G/G...
    ancestery :
    mostly western jewish here is the overlapp with south europe
    phenotype
    :
    gracile- med

  3. #203
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,599


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    OMG. They probably weren't used because they didn't have results for too many of the other snps involved. ***mentation is CUMULATIVE.

  4. #204
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,299

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    OMG. They probably weren't used because they didn't have results for too many of the other snps involved. ***mentation is CUMULATIVE.
    i failed to understand why people from central / northern europe
    are so shocked that those bronze age greeks were not pale like modern day northwest europeans
    it isn't shocking for me given where they lived, climate etc.....

    so yes autosomally speking they were southern europeans
    though log2 and log4 resemble more south balkan population than classical med
    because of the steppe % they had ...
    overall it look like there was continuity in south balkan region ( or those just happen to have the same % of components )


    those remains in G25 ( davidski)

    Distance to: Helladic_MBA:Log02
    0.02523331 Greek_Thessaly
    0.02642431 Italian_Tuscany
    0.02680568 Italian_Piedmont
    0.02711457 Italian_Lombardy
    0.02791138 Italian_Marche
    0.02845305 Italian_Liguria
    0.02943631 Albanian
    0.03011735 French_Corsica
    0.03103996 Italian_Umbria
    0.03223088 Greek_Macedonia
    0.03232640 Italian_Bergamo
    0.03374879 Italian_Lazio
    0.03421376 Greek_Peloponnese
    0.03432588 Greek_Central_Macedonia
    0.03546127 Swiss_Italian
    0.03594062 Italian_Veneto
    0.03611853 Italian_Abruzzo
    0.03699253 Italian_Molise
    0.03787082 Italian_Trentino-Alto-Adige
    0.03938887 Italian_Apulia
    0.03939264 Rumelia_East
    0.03941018 Macedonian:Central
    0.04241476 Greek_Izmir
    0.04333878 Greek_Laconia
    0.04359595 Italian_Northeast



    Distance to: Helladic_MBA:Log04
    0.03338522 Macedonian:Pelagonia1
    0.03533605 Greek_Thessaly
    0.03578505 Macedonian:East2
    0.03745346 Gagauz
    0.03778287 Greek_Macedonia
    0.03797783 Italian_Northeast
    0.03881694 Albanian
    0.03883212 Italian_Piedmont
    0.03909755 Bulgarian
    0.03948434 Greek_Central_Macedonia
    0.03986721 Romanian
    0.03991323 Macedonian:Central
    0.04069586 Swiss_Italian
    0.04078406 Italian_Veneto
    0.04141950 Rumelia_East
    0.04155838 Italian_Liguria
    0.04218237 Italian_Trentino-Alto-Adige
    0.04228890 Italian_Lombardy
    0.04322381 Italian_Bergamo
    0.04355271 Italian_Tuscany
    0.04426418 Macedonian:Northwest
    0.04443579 Macedonian:Southeast
    0.04545280 French_Provence
    0.04654212 Montenegrin
    0.04671440 Serbian


    Distance to: Helladic_EBA:Mik15
    0.07595865 Sardinian
    0.08271601 Italian_Calabria
    0.08298441 Italian_Jew
    0.08382109 Italian_Campania
    0.08448195 Sicilian_East
    0.08480988 Italian_Apulia
    0.08615882 Italian_Basilicata
    0.08638623 Romaniote_Jew
    0.08725117 Sephardic_Jew
    0.08735623 Maltese
    0.08789993 Italian_Lazio
    0.08808007 Greek_Dodecanese
    0.08892301 Ashkenazi_Germany
    0.08937307 Italian_Abruzzo
    0.09007834 Greek_Kos
    0.09016055 Sicilian_West
    0.09040410 Cypriot_B
    0.09072775 Italian_Molise
    0.09122491 French_Corsica
    0.09179614 Greek_Laconia
    0.09226700 Greek_Crete
    0.09300389 Italian_Umbria
    0.09325521 Tunisian_Jew
    0.09328802 Italian_Marche
    0.09437571 Moroccan_Jew


    Distance to: Cycladic_EBA:Kou03
    0.05204134 Greek_Kos
    0.05385652 Greek_Dodecanese
    0.05480986 Cypriot_B
    0.05680599 Italian_Calabria
    0.05856668 Italian_Campania
    0.05971432 Romaniote_Jew
    0.06059452 Italian_Jew
    0.06078801 Italian_Basilicata
    0.06180311 Greek_Crete
    0.06216075 Italian_Apulia
    0.06230512 Cypriot
    0.06317933 Ashkenazi_Germany
    0.06476211 Greek_Central_Anatolia
    0.06480381 Sephardic_Jew
    0.06506609 Sicilian_East
    0.06632712 Greek_Izmir
    0.06704354 Maltese
    0.06706089 Italian_Abruzzo
    0.06824511 Italian_Molise
    0.06931194 Greek_Laconia
    0.07018232 Italian_Lazio
    0.07288819 Italian_Umbria
    0.07298538 Ashkenazi_Belarussia
    0.07331913 Greek_Cappadocia
    0.07365125 Ashkenazi_Poland


    Distance to: Minoan_EBA:Pta08
    0.07794846 Italian_Jew
    0.07888632 Romaniote_Jew
    0.07966648 Greek_Dodecanese
    0.08001202 Cypriot_B
    0.08029646 Italian_Calabria
    0.08085760 Sicilian_East
    0.08124932 Italian_Campania
    0.08180170 Sephardic_Jew
    0.08291480 Italian_Apulia
    0.08321596 Greek_Kos
    0.08375053 Cypriot
    0.08429738 Italian_Basilicata
    0.08538057 Ashkenazi_Germany
    0.08657638 Greek_Crete
    0.08690987 Maltese
    0.08819190 Tunisian_Jew
    0.08870051 Italian_Abruzzo
    0.08913941 Italian_Lazio
    0.08930199 Sicilian_West
    0.08979417 Italian_Molise
    0.08995290 Sardinian
    0.09259749 Greek_Izmir
    0.09262980 Ashkenazi_Poland
    0.09272088 Greek_Laconia
    0.09292286 Libyan_Jew
    Last edited by kingjohn; 03-05-21 at 15:56.

  5. #205
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    389


    Country: Germany



    @Angela, I read all your answers and links with appreciation. The thing is, that I was gathering information and looked if someone found anything we have overlooked yet. And, I looked as the pics, thus I understand what dark skin in that context means.

  6. #206
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    389


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    i failed to understand why people from central / northern europe
    are so shocked that those bronze age greeks were not pale like modern day northwest europeans
    it isn't shocking for me given where they lived, climate etc.....

    so yes autosomally speking they were southern europeans
    though log2 and log4 resemble more south balkan population than classical med
    because of the steppe % they had ...
    overall it look like there was continuity in south balkan region ( or those just happen to have the same % of components )
    Come on, kingjohn, once again, nobody here is shocked that BA Greeks were not pale as Northern Europeans, but totally surprised at the fact, that these Greeks turned out to be very dark to black. That’s all and we can be puzzled. Anyway in which forum did you see that the samples homozygous for the G derived allele of slc45a2 G/G. If that was the case how can they be predicted as very dark to black?

  7. #207
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    389


    Country: Germany



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    i could imagine their skin color might have been similar to what we find in egypt today. if there was still ongoing selection for light skin in greece because of the change in nutrition then it is also likely that there was a similar selection throughout the near east and north africa. so when the ancient greeks compared their skin color to the northern barbarians and the egyptians then probably we should consider that those 2 groups were also darker ***mented than modern ones.
    What you say seems plausible. However, we have Egyptian mummies who had definitely a light skin tone. Also, Egyptians depicted beige or whitish looking Libyans. And Ancient Greeks didn't exaggerate when they talked about their pale Northern neighbors. Here is a depiction of a Thracian.


  8. #208
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,299

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    Quote Originally Posted by real expert View Post
    Come kingjohn, once again, nobody here is shocked that BA Greeks were not pale as Northern Europeans, but totally surprised at the fact, that these Greeks turned out to be very dark to black. That’s all and we can be puzzled. Anyway in which forum did you see that the samples homozygous for the G derived allele of slc45a2 G/G. If that was the case how can they be predicted as very dark to black.



    in apricity ( but it is based on anlaysis of a dude from anthrogenica)
    From Michalis Moriopulos

    rs16891982
    (C;C) - generally non-European, but if European, 7x more likely to have black hair
    (C;G) - if European, 7x more likely to have black hair
    (G;G) - Generally European; Light skin; Possibly an increased risk of melanoma

    Pta08 Minoan (C;G)
    Kou01 Cycladic (C;C)
    Kou03 Cycladic (C;C)
    Mik15 EBA Helladic (G;G)
    Log02 MBA Helladic (C;C)
    Log04 MBA Helladic (G;G)

    rs12913832
    (A;A) - brown eye color, 80% of the time
    (A;G) - brown eye color
    (G;G) - blue eye color, 99% of the time

    Pta08 Minoan (A;A)
    Kou01 Cycladic (A;A)
    Kou03 Cycladic (A;A)
    Mik15 EBA Helladic (A;A)
    Log02 MBA Helladic (A;A)
    Log04 MBA Helladic (A;A)



    they were not that dark just nt pale like north euro
    they were like the sardinian you posted earlier


    [COLOR=var(--g-colorGray0)]
    [COLOR=var(--g-colorGray300)]
    [/COLOR]









    [/COLOR]





  9. #209
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    389


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    in apricity ( but it is based on anlaysis of a dude from anthrogenica)
    From Michalis Moriopulos

    rs16891982
    (C;C) - generally non-European, but if European, 7x more likely to have black hair
    (C;G) - if European, 7x more likely to have black hair
    (G;G) - Generally European; Light skin; Possibly an increased risk of melanoma

    Pta08 Minoan (C;G)
    Kou01 Cycladic (C;C)
    Kou03 Cycladic (C;C)
    Mik15 EBA Helladic (G;G)
    Log02 MBA Helladic (C;C)
    Log04 MBA Helladic (G;G)

    rs12913832
    (A;A) - brown eye color, 80% of the time
    (A;G) - brown eye color
    (G;G) - blue eye color, 99% of the time

    Pta08 Minoan (A;A)
    Kou01 Cycladic (A;A)
    Kou03 Cycladic (A;A)
    Mik15 EBA Helladic (A;A)
    Log02 MBA Helladic (A;A)
    Log04 MBA Helladic (A;A)



    they were not that dark just nt pale like north euro
    they were like the sardinian you posted earlier


    [COLOR=var(--g-colorGray0)]
    [COLOR=var(--g-colorGray300)]
    [/COLOR]









    [/COLOR]




    Interesting information that seems to support what I was assuming. But that's not what this genetic study concludes. On the contrary, these BA Greeks are predicted as darker than modern Europeans including Sardinians, even darker than many modern Middle Easterners who are “intermediate”. Besides, how reliable is apricity?

  10. #210
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    12-11-19
    Posts
    124


    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by real expert View Post
    What you say seems plausible. However, we have Egyptian mummies who had definitely light skin tone. Also, Egyptians depicted beige or whitish looking Libyans. And Ancient Greeks didn't exaggerate when they talked about their pale Northern neighbors. Here is a depiction of a Thracian.

    Mine is just an addendum that likely the choice of Thracians isn't a good choice: though they are referred to by Greeks as read-haired it is very unlikely that the Thracians could have looked different from the Greeks, since there is no reason to think of any substantial genetic, hence phenotypic, difference between them besides a probable "clinal difference" (maybe a tiny bit more steppe in Thracians).

    That woman depicted has the skin tone of every woman I've seen in south Italy, in fact it has already been noted in this thread that Greeks referred to "pale skinned" when talking both about northern barbarians and their women, which means that Greeks' untanned natural skin was of the approximate same hue (as their women's).

    I do not know if there is the need to make it explicit, but the fact that a woman whose hue is perfectly in the normal range for southern Europeans has been brought as an example of pale northeners (though even geographically the Thracians weren't "northeners" in any conceivable way given they are not even "central south Europe", at around Rome's latitude) makes me think it cannot at least do any harm: Southern Europeans' skin tone is universally, untanned, pinkish, with few that can be milk white (here in Italy called "Mozzarelle", who can't tan usually), even in Sicily where I live (at least "even" if I speak keeping in mind the stereotypes that many Americans have about Sicilians).
    For this reason I find it a bit perplexing to see someone talk about how a predicted phenotype for skin tone's being from dark to black as "southern European" and how they are surprised that people find it odd.
    My idea is that it is likely wrong, or if it is genuine, then we are seeing the period in which the Europeans' skin tone was beeing selected for and so a few individuals displayed its absence.

  11. #211
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,299

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    Quote Originally Posted by real expert View Post
    Interesting information that seems to support what I was assuming. But that's not what this genetic study concludes. On the contrary, these BA Greeks are predicted as darker than modern Europeans including Sardinians, even darker than many modern Middle Easterners who are “intermediate”. Besides, how reliable is apricity?

    they can be wrong
    unless we have a time machine we can't know exactly how did they look
    we can in assume based on the derived/ ancesteral snp's
    given that all of them were slc24a5 derived i think they couldn't be that dark ...


    p.s
    aprcity generally speaking not that reliable but since it is based on anlaysis of anthrogenica user that is there
    for years
    and know a thing or two i say in this case it is relaible

  12. #212
    Moderator Pax Augusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-06-14
    Location
    Ara Pacis
    Posts
    1,509


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    i failed to understand why people from central / northern europe
    are so shocked that those bronze age greeks were not pale like modern day northwest europeans
    it isn't shocking for me given where they lived, climate etc.....

    so yes autosomally speking they were southern europeans
    though log2 and log4 resemble more south balkan population than classical med
    because of the steppe % they had ...
    overall it look like there was continuity in south balkan region ( or those just happen to have the same % of components )
    Regardless of whether or not what this study claims about the skin color of these Bronze Age samples from northern Greece is correct, in my opinion it is quite wrong to make a comparison between a population of 3500 years ago and those of today, a similarity of ancestral components does not imply much else, it does not imply that a population of 3500 years ago was completely similar to those of today with a similar ratio of ancestral components. Because other factors may have come into play over 3000 years, such as the skin colour of the modern population may also be due to sexual selection mechanisms that have taken place over the last 3000 years. We don't know yet.

    Using Hirisplex itself, a research two years ago based on HGDP samples and 1000 genomes, concluded that in Europe everywhere the two widespread types are pale and intermediate, obviously with pale being more widespread in northern Europe and intermediate in southern Europe, and that in the whole Europe only a minority of Sardinians could belong to the dark type, as the majority of Sardinians belong to intermediate, but not the rest of southern Europeans who belonged to intermediate and pale only and in the research were represented by Spaniards, Basques, northern Italians (Bergamo) and Tuscans. Unfortunately, almost all Balkan and Aegean populations were missing from the study. The dark and dark-black types, along with intermediate as well, were found in the Middle East (Bedouins, Druzes, and Palestinians from Israel), South Asia (Pakistan) and East Asia.

  13. #213
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-06-17
    Posts
    196


    Country: United Kingdom



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post



    Is it finally clear what they mean???
    Their 'Dark-Black' category doesn't seem to have anything to do with actual 'dark to black' skin.

  14. #214
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-03-17
    Posts
    699


    Ethnic group
    swiss,italian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by real expert View Post
    Interesting information that seems to support what I was assuming. But that's not what this genetic study concludes. On the contrary, these BA Greeks are predicted as darker than modern Europeans including Sardinians, even darker than many modern Middle Easterners who are “intermediate”. Besides, how reliable is apricity?
    that's because again, you can't just look at these 2 genes. if you look at the table they have genotypes of certain other snp's that have a low frequency in europe nowadays.
    though there is something i don't get and maybe someone knows the answer: for some of the genotypes in the table for example rs2378249 the table says "TT" for all samples but in the online database there is not even a T variant in this position. is this because they somehow genotyped the opposite strand for some reason?

  15. #215
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-06-17
    Posts
    196


    Country: United Kingdom



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Distribution of the SLC45A2 rs16891982 allele:



    Yale allele frequency database


    Absence of the SLC45A2 allele among some Europeans doesn't result in 'dark to black skin' or 'dark' skin.

  16. #216
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,599


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Leopoldo Leone View Post
    Mine is just an addendum that likely the choice of Thracians isn't a good choice: though they are referred to by Greeks as read-haired it is very unlikely that the Thracians could have looked different from the Greeks, since there is no reason to think of any substantial genetic, hence phenotypic, difference between them besides a probable "clinal difference" (maybe a tiny bit more steppe in Thracians).

    That woman depicted has the skin tone of every woman I've seen in south Italy, in fact it has already been noted in this thread that Greeks referred to "pale skinned" when talking both about northern barbarians and their women, which means that Greeks' untanned natural skin was of the approximate same hue (as their women's).

    I do not know if there is the need to make it explicit, but the fact that a woman whose hue is perfectly in the normal range for southern Europeans has been brought as an example of pale northeners (though even geographically the Thracians weren't "northeners" in any conceivable way given they are not even "central south Europe", at around Rome's latitude) makes me think it cannot at least do any harm: Southern Europeans' skin tone is universally, untanned, pinkish, with few that can be milk white (here in Italy called "Mozzarelle", who can't tan usually), even in Sicily where I live (at least "even" if I speak keeping in mind the stereotypes that many Americans have about Sicilians).
    For this reason I find it a bit perplexing to see someone talk about how a predicted phenotype for skin tone's being from dark to black as "southern European" and how they are surprised that people find it odd.
    My idea is that it is likely wrong, or if it is genuine, then we are seeing the period in which the Europeans' skin tone was beeing selected for and so a few individuals displayed its absence.
    I have no idea why you are fixated on two rare mummies compared to all the others, and not to the way the Egyptians depicted themselves. It's illogical. You don't make judgments about an entire population based on 5%, if even that, of the samples.

    If you want to make a big deal of it, it's your prerogative. Imo it is completely illogical and I will not discuss it further.

    As for the skin tone of Italians, I have every skin de***mentation allele in the book, and as a result am predicted to be very fair. It's true; can't tan, burn, get sun poisoning, have to wear the lightest skin foundation on the market.

    THAT is NOT common even in my part of Italy, far less so in the south. Southern Italians very, very rarely have "pink" undertones. A large percentage have olive undertones, as I showed above, even if they're much "fairer" in the winter.

    ONE factor, among others, is that there hasn't been a total sweep for derived SLC45A2 yet.
    I



    This all bears out my experience of these people. I've seen some quite dark Portuguese for example.

    Keep in mind, however, that this is one snp, not the multiple snps used in the subject paper. OCA2, for example, which is not that common in Southern Europe, affects skin as well as eye color.

    Thracians were not Greeks. Period. The ***mentation of one is not the ***mentation of others.

  17. #217
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    389


    Country: Germany



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philjames100 View Post
    Their 'Dark-Black' category doesn't seem to have anything to do with actual 'dark to black' skin.
    You have a valid point here. When you read very dark to black you think automatically of this complexion.



  18. #218
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    389


    Country: Germany



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philjames100 View Post
    Distribution of the SLC45A2 rs16891982 allele:

    Absence of the SLC45A2 allele among some Europeans doesn't result in 'dark to black skin' or 'dark' skin.
    And these Arab Bedouins despite tan and SSA admixture, are not really very dark to black.







  19. #219
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    389


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post


    Keep in mind, however, that this is one snp, not the multiple snps used in the subject paper. OCA2, for example, which is not that common in Southern Europe, affects skin as well as eye color.
    So, you think bottom line, that the prediction is correct, and that OCA2 is the reason why these Aegeans are even much darker than many modern Middle Easterners. Correct?

  20. #220
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,599


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by real expert View Post
    And these Arab Bedouins despite tan and SSA admixture, are not really very dark to black.






    Can we try to be precise? How do you know these are the Bedouin who are SSA admixed?

  21. #221
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,599


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by real expert View Post
    So, you think bottom line, that the prediction is correct, and that OCA2 is the reason why these Aegeans are even much darker than many modern Middle Easterners. Correct?
    I never said anything like that. I think there is a possibility that there was an error in the determination of ancestral versus derived snps or in the inputting of the data into the algorithm.

    The only way to find out is to ask.

    Anyway, as the pictures from the Hirisplex site shows, dark is not very dark, and even if the prediction was "very dark" some gradations in the skin sample don't look that dark to me.

  22. #222
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    389


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I never said anything like that. I think there is a possibility that there was an error in the determination of ancestral versus derived snps or in the inputting of the data into the algorithm.

    The only way to find out is to ask.

    Anyway, as the pictures from the Hirisplex site shows, dark is not very dark, and even if the prediction was "very dark" some gradations in the skin sample don't look that dark to me.
    I'll try to contact the authors and hope they'll reply. But how likely is it, that professional genetics/researchers make a mistake in the determination of ancestral versus derived snps or in the inputting of the data into the algorithm? This paper was peer reviewed. The authors's claim though, that modern Greeks descend up to 90% from these steppe-admixed samples, is false. In addition to that, most people who read genetic studies don't look up the supplementary data, tables or the Hirisplex site, etc. Hence, what will stuck is that Ancient Greeks were very dark or black, and people will not think of Hirisplex very dark to black category, but they'll believe that Ancient Greeks looked like SSAs in terms of their complexion.

  23. #223
    Regular Member Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Posts
    2,107

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27/R-Y45921

    Country: Brazil



    1 members found this post helpful.
    (…)
    Finally, SNPs SLC24A5 rs1426654 and SLC45A2 rs16891982 were associated with fair skin, eyes, and hair and with melanoma. SLC24A5 rs1426654 (p.Thr111Ala) was first described in zebrafish as responsible for the golden phenotype due to a delay in melanin production during embryonic development [34]. In melanocyte cultures, homozygous GG leads to an increase in SLC24A5 gene transcripts and a consequent increase in tyrosinase activity and melanin production [35]. The decrease of G allele frequency is gradual from Africa to Europe, indicating that a selection pressure in favor of the A allele acted on the determination of fair skin in places where the intensity of UV radiation is lower [36, 37]. Evidence of natural selection makes this SNP a frequent component of ancestral and forensic informative panels [38]. In our study, we confirmed the association of the AA genotype with fair skin and light eyes. and we identified allelic frequencies consistent with those observed in European populations [3] and in previous studies of Brazilians from other regions [39]. Likewise, SNP SLC45A2 rs16891982 is also widely studied regarding its relationship with ***mentation in different populations. SLC45A2 encodes the membrane-associated transporter protein carrier involved in melanin synthesis, and experimental studies in zebrafish. Mice and yeast have clearly demonstrated that the presence of the missense variant rs16891982 (p.Phe374Leu) results in decreased protein activity [40]. This SNP is also considered an ancestry informative marker (AIM), since it is able to differentiate European populations due to G allele frequency. Which is similar to the rs1426654 A allele [41]. These findings are aligned with the theory of vitamin D synthesis. Which proposes that light skin is a feature selected to compensate for the lower solar incidence in populations living far from the Equator [42] and with increased ability of the skin to respond to ultra violet (UV) radiation [43].
    (…)

    This is an extract from these paper:



    Skin ***mentation polymorphisms associated with increased risk of melanoma in a case-control sample from southern Brazil

    • Larissa B. Reis,
    • Renato M. Bakos,
    • […]
    • Patricia Ashton-ProllaBMC Cancer volume 20, Article number: 1069 (2020)Cite this article



      Abstract

      Background

      Melanoma is the most aggressive type of skin cancer and is associated with environmental and genetic risk factors. It originates in melanocytes, the ***ment-producing cells. Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in ***mentation genes have been described in melanoma risk modulation, but knowledge in the field is still limited.
      Methods

      In a case-control approach (107 cases and 119 controls), we investigated the effect of four ***mentation gene SNPs (TYR rs1126809, HERC2 rs1129038, SLC24A5 rs1426654, and SLC45A2 rs16891982) on melanoma risk in individuals from southern Brazil using a multivariate logistic regression model and multifactor dimensionality reduction (MDR) analysis.
      Results

      Two SNPs were associated with an increased risk of melanoma in a dominant model: rs1129038AA and rs1426654AA [OR = 2.094 (95% CI: 1.106–3.966), P = 2.3 10− 2 and OR = 7.126 (95% CI: 1.873–27.110), P = 4.0 10− 3, respectively]. SNP rs16891982CC was associated with a lower risk to melanoma development in a log-additive model when the allele C was inherited [OR = 0.081 (95% CI: 0.008–0.782), P = 3 10− 2]. In addition, MDR analysis showed that the combination of the rs1426654AA and rs16891982GG genotypes was associated with a higher risk for melanoma (P = 3 10− 3), with a redundant effect.
      Conclusions

      These results contribute to the current knowledge and indicate that epistatic interaction of these SNPs, with an additive or correlational effect, may be involved in modulating the risk of melanoma in individuals from a geographic region with a high incidence of the disease.




    PS:
    I usually look white in the day-by-day of my homeland, but when I stay in Rio de Janeiro for about 2 weeks I return to my homeland in BH with the color of a Tuareg. My wife and son are unable to achieve this feat (stay tanned). They turn pink and have to use a daily sun blocker ‘protection factor 50+. The family dermatologist, Dr. Ana, always tells me that I should do the same, but my answer to her is always the same: Showing her my forearm, I tell her that there is no need because I am not white. This is the moment when she tells me to take my shirt off and She takes the chance to reprimand me in a short sermon. Than, I remember Mr. Michael Jackson. Black or White. In my case, none of the two cases, I think.

    Me:

    Gene SLC45A2
    rs16891982 CG
    Gene SLC24A5
    rs1426654 AA

  24. #224
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-06-17
    Posts
    196


    Country: United Kingdom



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaska View Post
    Does anybody have any explanation for the absence of R1b-M269 in Greece (Neolithic, Chalcolithic or Bronze Age) and yet Greek is an Indo-European language?
    Well both of the Middle Bronze Age samples were women, and we only have one male sample from the Mycenaean period. So that's not much to go on.

  25. #225
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,299

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    2 members found this post helpful.
    i am going to tell something
    this is a leak .....
    r1b was found in early bronze age north albania (i saw it in serbian dna forum )
    i don't know the details when i will know more i will post it ...
    2 samples from bronze age north albania :
    early bronze age r1b
    middle bronze age j2b


    Добио сам прелиминарне резултате једног истраживања старе ДНК на простору Албаније. Немам детаљнијих информација (лабораторија, датум објављивања студије и сл). Зна се само да је прва тура са севера Албаније, док ће друга бити са југа.

    Неки од резултата

    Северна Албанија, Рано бронзано доба: R1b-PF7563

    Северна Албанија, Средње бронзано доба/Касно бронзано доба: J2b2-M241



    I received preliminary results from an old DNA study in Albania. I do not have more detailed information (laboratory, date of publication of the study, etc.). It is only known that the first tour is from the north of Albania, while the second will be from the south.


    Some of the results


    Northern Albania, Early Bronze Age: R1b-PF7563


    Northern Albania, Middle Bronze Age / Late Bronze Age: J2b2-M241

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •