The genomic history of the Aegean palatial civilizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes sense, Log02 and Log04 were probably Proto-Greek while those Cycladic were what Herodotus labelled the Pre-Greek people as Pelasgian.

This makes sense, Log02 and Log04 were probably Proto-Greek while those Cycladic were what Herodotus labelled the Pre-Greek people as Pelasgian.
Where is e-v13 in the generall picture
( assuming the ancient sample number would have been larger than 11 it would be found):unsure:
Is it proto-greek or pelasgian in greece ?

P.s
Nice to see that pta08 in g25 davidski calculator
Still cluster with some western jewish groups
Italian jews, romaniots:cool-v:

It's very odd. I'm assuming that's based on coordinates from the paper. It would be helpful if someone would provide them because I can't find an archaeological site named Logkas anywhere in Macedonia.

The closest I come is Logas in northern Corfu where there is indeed a Middle Bronze Age site.

Maybe it's a very new site and so isn't yet on any list of archaeological sites in Macedonia. What I did find is the arrival of Mycenaean artifacts in the Late Bronze Age, perhaps indicating influence from the south.

https://archeorient.hypotheses.org/11282

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0006:entry=kerkyra

Maybe this, Loggas rather than Logkas

"An extensive Mycenaean cemetery with 31 undisturbed burials containing numerous items of jewellery and several different types of ceramic vases, including 12 ornate Mycenaean drinking cups or kylikes, has been unearthed by Greek archaeologists at the Loggas site near Elati in Kozani (Macedonia), a short distance from ancient Aiani."

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2016/03/31-intact-burials-unearthed-in-large.html

mine via vahadour with these new samples just added

Distance to:TorzioK13
4.01337763R105_Lazio_Rome_Italy_Late_Antiquity
4.43023701I7043_Hungary_BA_4000_ybp
5.30078296R1_Abruzzo_Teramo_Late_Bronze_Age_Italy .................Liburnian
5.70971103I5524_Germany_Bell_Beaker_4250_ybp
5.75789892R33_Lazio_Rome_Early_Medieval_Italy
6.02713033NW54_Germany_Early_Medieval.SG_1491_ybp
6.53943423STR535_Germany_Early_Medieval.SG_1491_ybp
6.89267002I3313_Croatia_Early_IA_2733_ybp ............................Dalmatian
6.93354166I4332_Croatia_MBA_3516_ybp ...............................Dalmatian
7.14688044R55_Lazio_Rome_Late_Medieval_Italy
7.21058250I4331_Croatia_MBA_3526_ybp ..............................Dalmatian
7.21271793CL36_longobard_north_italy
7.38786843RISE483_Hungary_Vatya.SG_3700_ybp
7.53441438SZ28_Hungary_Langobard_1442_ybp
7.58433913R1221_Lazio_Rome_Renaissance_Italy
7.62021653DA195_Hungary_Scythian.SG_2553_ybp
7.67914709I5759_Switzerland_Bell_Beaker_4178_ybp
7.70903366SZ36_Hungary_Langobard.SG_1442_ybp
7.71743481CL49_longobard_north_italy
7.97612688col001_col001_
8.04037934E09538_Germany_Germany_Bell_Beaker_Augsburg_4288_ybp
8.11592262R61_Lazio_Rome_Late_Medieval_Italy
8.23627950Greece_MBA_Log04
8.23907155I2165_Bulgaria_EBA_4908_ybp
8.27548790I7040_Hungary_BA_4300_ybp

best for myself of these new is in red

Blue is BC times

Maybe this, Loggas rather than Logkas

"An extensive Mycenaean cemetery with 31 undisturbed burials containing numerous items of jewellery and several different types of ceramic vases, including 12 ornate Mycenaean drinking cups or kylikes, has been unearthed by Greek archaeologists at the Loggas site near Elati in Kozani (Macedonia), a short distance from ancient Aiani."

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2016/03/31-intact-burials-unearthed-in-large.html

Well, the Mycenaean Era is usually dated starting from around 1600 BC. These are older by 200 years. Maybe they found older burials? But if that's the case why on earth didn't they compare the older burials to those firmly in the Mycenaean period? Then we'd know if there were any changes as Mycenaean influences moved north, yes?

Why am I not surprised?

To the premise, I'd say maybe, and maybe we found Illyrian like people.

Stop the presses everyone, the academic authority of ifunny.co has determined that Proto-Greeks have been found by quasi-neo nazi meme fatwa...

In fact, it is one of the only search items which appear to say so.

Seriously, though.

We need to see the paper, and know about the archeological context.

who/what is ifunny?

Why am I not surprised?

To the premise, I'd say maybe, and maybe we found Illyrian like people.

This is what I think, given the closer connection to those types of samples. Rather than affinity to the Myceneans by Mycenae.

There are so many possibilities that without the paper in hand it's impossible to come to conclusions. The archaeological context and precise area is the most important.

If they were the proto-Greeks then given the date they represent the Middle Bronze Age group which almost destroyed Greek civilization? So would that mean that the EBA people so like the Mycenaeans didn't speak Greek?

Or were they people who lived on the periphery of Greek civilization?

Either way, why didn't these researchers use samples from the Mycenaean period in that area to see if intermarriage with locals and/or movement of people from the south changed them?

Also, comparison with samples from the Middle Bronze Age in the Peloponnese, especially, say, from Messenia where if I recall correctly the tholos tombs first originated would be very helpful.

I'm done with it until we get the paper.

Possibly related to the Cetina culture migration?

Y7jTxq4.png

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Cetina_Phenomenon_An_Agent-based_Perspective

Last edited:
"There are four types of graves that are found at sites from the Middle Helladic period; pit graves, tholos graves, cist graves, and shaft graves. A pit grave is self explanatory, as it is simply a pit in the ground, while tholos styled graves are characterized as being more of a chamber like tomb. Cist graves and shaft graves are interesting because they are two styles of burial that originate from the Middle Helladic period itself, and it is believed that migrants who moved to Greece during this period influenced the creation of these new burial styles. Cist graves are deep and rectangular with a tumulus, or mound of earth, placed over top and came about during the beginning of the Middle Helladic period.Shaft graves are larger and deeper than cist graves (measuring on average 6 meters long, 4 meters wide, and 4 meters deep) and came about during the end of the Middle Helladic period."

Middle Helladic

"Proto-Cetina/Cetina, in the southern Balkans, appears as a Bell Beaker periphery connecting the West Adriatic coast with the East Adriatic area ca. 2400–2300 BC (...) Tumuli of several meters in diameter, primarily of stone, can have a kerb of large stones. They contain usually a rectangular cist grave made of stone slabs, with a stone-covering slab. A single person buried in a contracted position on the left or right side is the standard."

Cetina culture

uLzhdPw.jpg

“there is a continuum in the use of burial mounds throughout the Bronze and the Iron Age in a territory stretching from the Peloponnese, Central and Northern Greece through Albania to the Dalmatian coast up to the Caput Adriae. (…) Since the excavation of the Early Iron Age tumulus cemetery of Vergina in the middle of the 20th century, these mounds have definitely become an emblematic feature of the funerary landscape of Northern Greece. Tumuli have been equally characteristic of the Epirote highlands already since the Bronze Age, and their use continues deep into the Iron Age (…)

Dozens of tumuli have been recently identified on coastal ridges in the Albanian districts of Lezha and Shkodra close to the border with Montenegro thanks to a new project carried out since 2014 by the Albanian Archaeological Institute. Their structure is quite similar to Montenegrinian tumuli, e.g. those of the Planinica Hill and those even further North in Dalmatia. There, mounds became an extremely popular form of burial monument already during the Early Bronze Age, when the so-called Cetina culture spread over Dalmatia. Within the Cetina tumuli both inhumation and cremation are attested. Cist graves are often – but not exclusively – placed in the middle of the tumulus, while simpler graves are built with smaller stones and placed in different parts of the tumulus. (…)

Besides focusing on the chronological dimension of the tumulus phenomenon, this project has produced new data regarding mobility, ritual practices and cross-cultural interconnections, which have been analysed in the wider framework of the spread of the Cetina phenomenon across the Central Mediterranean. The eastern Adriatic coast is indeed important for the study of the diffusion of tumuli: it is no coincidence that the first Early Bronze Age tumuli of Greece appeared in the West, as on Lefkada island. Some grave goods from the EH IIB burial mound cemetery at Steno appears to have parallels with those from the early 3rd millennium BC burial mounds at Mala Gruda and Velika Gruda in Montenegro.”

Krapf 2018

"the first tumuli on the eastern shore of the Adriatic are identified with the Cetina Culture and they probably appear at the beginning of the second half of the third millennium B.C."

Potrebica 2012

“Warfare and a warrior culture did not evolve in the Aegean. Nor were they transferred there from points east. Rather, they spread to the Aegean from Europe in the Early to Middle Bronze Age, together with the tradition of tumulus burial, possibly through contact with the Cetina culture. (...)

Local, transformative interactions between the Aegean and the Adriatic first occurred not during the Mycenaean period but rather during the Early Bronze Age, during which time ‘Helladic’ individuals interacted with ‘Cetina’ individuals. It was the former who were transformed through these interactions, however, not the latter. Cetina culture already emphasized the importance of warfare, metal weapons, and individualizing burial in monumental tombs, well before these became standard features of Helladic culture ... If there was any diffusion of objects, symbols, and ideas related to warrior aristocracy, it seems more likely that these moved from Europe to the Aegean via the Adriatic in the Early Bronze Age, not the other way around, and long before any meaningful contact was established with the eastern Mediterranean.

In the dynamic region of the Adriatic, in the small-world where Epirus, Illyria, Italy, and the Ionian Islands all meet, creating a frontier zone that is still apparent today, aggrandizing Early Bronze Age ‘big men’ met and mixed in gateway communities up and down the coast. Those from the north transmitted war-related objects – e.g., shaft-hole hammer axes – to their southern neighbors. At first, these objects trickled into Greece, adopted by ‘learners’ who used them to leverage nascent forms of social inequality. Eventually they introduced new forms of burial as well, i.e., tumuli, which mark the shift to what is regarded as chiefdom-level political organization.”

Galaty et al., 2017

“Bell Beaker margins include parts of Eastern Poland, Moldova, and Romania, as well as Malta in the south… Surprisingly perhaps, one can argue that these Beaker margins also reached as far as the Early Bronze Age core, Greece, Crete and the Aegean. This European south-east has only recently come into the focus of Beaker research (Heyd 2007; Maran 2007). Besides conspicuous pottery evidence mostly from Olympia, it is again the wristguards, and the ‘Montgomery toggles’ (as on duffle coats), that form the majority of the diagnostic Beaker elements. As a result of this recent interest, more wristguards, both the broader four-holed and the oblong-narrow two-holed, are now known from the Aegean than from the whole of Italy, for example. They almost all date to Early Helladic III levels (as does the pottery evidence from Olympia), thus after 2200 BC in absolute terms. This makes them late Beaker, as compared to the central and western European examples. the best explanation for their relatively late appearance lies with a migratory event, rightly described by Maran (e.g. 1998) as bringing Adriatic Cetina people incrementally to southern Greece for some decades from the transition of Early Helladic II to III. And since early Cetina is one of those syncretistic Bell Beaker cultures of its south-eastern periphery as shown above, this best explains the manifestation of these Bell Beaker elements deep in south-east Europe.”

Heyd 2013, p.63-64

Last edited:
"There are four types of graves that are found at sites from the Middle Helladic period; pit graves, tholos graves, cist graves, and shaft graves. A pit grave is self explanatory, as it is simply a pit in the ground, while tholos styled graves are characterized as being more of a chamber like tomb. Cist graves and shaft graves are interesting because they are two styles of burial that originate from the Middle Helladic period itself, and it is believed that migrants who moved to Greece during this period influenced the creation of these new burial styles. Cist graves are deep and rectangular with a tumulus, or mound of earth, placed over top and came about during the beginning of the Middle Helladic period.Shaft graves are larger and deeper than cist graves (measuring on average 6 meters long, 4 meters wide, and 4 meters deep) and came about during the end of the Middle Helladic period."

Middle Helladic

"Proto-Cetina/Cetina, in the southern Balkans, appears as a Bell Beaker periphery connecting the West Adriatic coast with the East Adriatic area ca. 2400–2300 BC (...) Tumuli of several meters in diameter, primarily of stone, can have a kerb of large stones. They contain usually a rectangular cist grave made of stone slabs, with a stone-covering slab. A single person buried in a contracted position on the left or right side is the standard."

https://indo-european.info/indo-europeans-uralians/VIII_9_Adriatic_province-.htm

see american indian burial:
Mississippian_culture_stone_box_burial_flexed_HRoe_2011.jpg

and
The practice of digging shaft tombs was a widespread phenomenon with prominent examples found in

see american indian burial:

Mississippian_culture_stone_box_burial_flexed_HRoe_2011.jpg

"Stone box graves were a method of burial used by Native Americans of the Mississippian culture in the American Midwest and Southeast. Their construction was especially common in the Cumberland River Basin, in settlements found around present-day Nashville, Tennessee."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_box_grave

Mississippian culture: c.800-1600 AD, so about 3000 years after the Cetina culture/ Early/Middle Helladic.
It coincides instead with the Viking Age, when we know Europeans made it to North America. Interestingly there are similarities between some Mississippian and Viking artefacts:

Mississippian:

8KSbZHJ.png

BQu6EFg.jpg

EtYSgcl.jpg

ruX8BC5.jpg

"Just over thirty Cox Mound-style gorgets have been found since the late nineteenth century, primarily from prehistoric Mississippian stone box graves and villages along the lower Tennessee, Cumberland, Duck, Harpeth, and Buffalo Rivers of Middle Tennessee, and the middle Tennessee River valley of northern Alabama. As a result of the frequent mortuary association of Cox Mound gorgets with certain pottery types, namely Matthews Incised, as well as other artifacts, it has been postulated that Cox Mound gorgets date to the period A.D. 1250-1450."

Cox Mound Gorget

Mississippian Shell Gorget

------------

Viking:

4nBD2no.jpg

wFypSzl.jpg

lztKkvq.jpg

SZfnUHJ.jpg

---------------

Hannunvaakuna symbol from Finland:

ZtWvMaX.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 117510 times.

Back