Curious about Result implications

Parhypostasis

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Predominantly a mix of Ukrainian & Polish; 1 4th Romanian, a little bit of Jewish
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-Y3118
mtDNA haplogroup
R0
23andme gives me I-Y3118 as the paternal haplogroup.

For context: My parents were born and raised in Northwestern Moldova. My DNA results give me 59% Eastern European (overwhelmingly Masovia and some of southeastern Poland, alongside western Ukraine in general, with Zakarpattia, Lviv and such), 27% Southern European (overwhelmingly Transylvanian Romanian) and 12% Ashkenazi Jewish.

As far as I understand, the I2 haplogroup is associated with indigenous european populations (Cro-magnon), but it can differ a fair lot amongst itself (I2a2 and I2a1, for example). So, I wonder: what kind of implications does it have about my origins, and what sort of general interesting information is there about my haplogroup?

[h=4][/h][h=4][/h]

Only English is allowed on this site. Please provide translations of all of the above.

Before posting you should have read the rules. They state that only posts in English are permitted. Not my rules, but I'm supposed to enforce them.

Interesant rezultat. Insa haplogrupul Y nu iti spune decat ca ai avut un stramos care avea acel haplogrup cu multe zeci si sute de generatii in urma. De atunci insa este cel mai probabil ca din restul adn-ului autozomal al stramosului antic, tu nu mai mostenesti mai mult decat ai in comun cu orice alta persoana, fiindca in numai 10 generatii adn-ul autozomal al stramosului respectiv, s-a divizt de peste 1 milion de ori iar in 20 de generatii... de peste un miliard de ori si teoretic nu mai ramane nimic semnificativ ca sa se potriveasca perfect cu secventele tale de adn. Si chiar daca te compari cu alta persoana cu acelas stramos I-Y3118 este probabil sa nu gasesti mai multa asemanare decat cu o persoana cu alt haplogrup.

Given the moderator posts, I'll respond in English.

Yes, I am perfectly aware that haplogroup mostly denotes lineage, and not most to any of the traits associated with autosomal DNA. Nonetheless, I was curious in discovering any interesting facts about said lineage and its history, and what kind of ethno-genetic and/or cultural group it might be/might've been associated with. I am aware that it is not generally indicative of features or genetic makeup.

Thanks for the reply!

23andme gives me I-Y3118 as the paternal haplogroup.

For context: My parents were born and raised in Northwestern Moldova. My DNA results give me 59% Eastern European (overwhelmingly Masovia and some of southeastern Poland, alongside western Ukraine in general, with Zakarpattia, Lviv and such), 27% Southern European (overwhelmingly Transylvanian Romanian) and 12% Ashkenazi Jewish.

As far as I understand, the I2 haplogroup is associated with indigenous european populations (Cro-magnon), but it can differ a fair lot amongst itself (I2a2 and I2a1, for example). So, I wonder: what kind of implications does it have about my origins, and what sort of general interesting information is there about my haplogroup?

cool results :cool-v:
nice do you think the 12% ascenazi ancestery came from your polish side or ukranian side ?
i ask becasue many poles are obssesed with jewish ancestery ( from the bad side )
ukranians less so ... :unsure:

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I2_Y-DNA.shtml#I2a1b

The high concentration of I2a1b-L621 in north-east Romania, Moldova and central Ukraine reminds of the maximum spread of the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture (4800-3000 BCE). No Y-DNA sample from this culture has been tested to date, but as it evolved as an offshoot from the Starčevo–Kőrös–Criş culture, it is likely that I2a was one of its main paternal lineages, and a founder effect could have increased considerably its frequency.

I believe this was written some time ago. Have any Y-DNA samples from the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture been tested since? I believe that the issue was a lack of burial sites (cremation?).

cool results :cool-v:
nice do you think the 12% ascenazi ancestery came from your polish side or ukranian side ?
i ask becasue many poles are obssesed with jewish ancestery ( from the bad side )
ukranians less so ... :unsure:

Hey, thank you!

I believe it came from the Ukrainian side, because my mother's (Jewish) grandmother was born and raised in Odessa.

4 ancient human remains from the Cucuteni culture were analyzed and all are G: I1926 G2a2b2a-P303, I2110 G2a2b2a-P303, I2111 G2a, I1927 G2a2b2a1a1b1a1a1-L42

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what ancient groups/cultures had a pervasive I2 presence, then.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what ancient groups/cultures had a pervasive I2 presence, then.

The Balkans, which was where many I2's hung out during the Last Glacial Maximum.

Haplogroup I2a1b-L621

This branch is found overwhelmingly in Slavic countries. Its maximum frequencies are observed among the Dinaric Slavs (Slovenes, Croats, Bosniaks, Serbs, Montenegrins and Macedonians) as well as in Bulgaria, Romania, Moldavia, western Ukraine and Belarus. It is also common to a lower extent in Albania, Greece, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, and south-western Russia. I2-L621 (L147.2+) is also known as as I2a-Din (for Dinaric).

Haplogroup_I2a.gif

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I2_Y-DNA.shtml#I2a1b

lol! There are more than 80 analyzes on ancient remains that show that the I2a1b haplogroup was numerous throughout south-western, central and north-western Europe, after the entry into the Balkans of farmers carrying the G2a haplogroup! I'm curious when this perpetual nonsense with the haplogroup I2a1b that is brought by the "russians" or slavs from eastern Europe will end?!
You must be mixing up with i2a2 there is no ancient i2a1b in balkans it came from Russia/East Europe around 6th century AD.
Show me instances to prove otherwise

dude!... :) Who said that at that time I2a1b was found in the Balkans !? Looks like you don't even read what was written before! Read what I wrote in post #9.

I've been responding to your post #15.

The i2a branch that is common in south slavs today has not been found in balkans pre 600 AD

This thread has been viewed 6450 times.

Back