Y-DNA haplogroups of the Founding Fathers of the United States

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I have made a summary of all the known paternal lineages of the Founding Fathers. I wish I could find those of James Madison, John Jay and the Morris family (Gouverneur Morris, Lewis Morris, Richard Morris, etc.).

Haplogroups_US_Independence.jpg

Excellent work! It is safe to say John Quincy Adams (6th President) was also R1b-S1200, by the virtue of the fact he was the son of John Adams.

Yes, of course. I didn't include him as he is not usually considered a Founding Father. But he is mentioned in the Famous Y-DNA page.

John Q. Adams' political rival, Andrew Jackson, albeit highly intelligent, couldn't have been more different in terms of personality. Moreover, despite the less distinguished pedigree, and lower IQ (according to the chart, and again still higher than average) he went on to become one of the most transformational Presidents in U.S. History. His legacy went on to dwarf that of John Q. Adams. As a military leader, Jackson conquered Florida. He also defeated the British troops that defeated Napoleon after the end of the War of 1812 (word did not travel instantaneously back then). Despite winning the battle after the end of the war, it helped to save the U.S. from humiliation, and many Americans praised him for it. He was known as "Old Hickory", a nickname given to him by his troops, because he was a very tough man. As a judge, he would personally seek out individuals evading trial, and bring them back at gunpoint.

Right now, there is a push to get him removed from the $20 bill. This is mostly due to his infamous Trail of Tears. Ironically though, he was against the idea of paper money. Jackson preferred metal coins. Also, ironic is that he ran as a populist, and promoted small-government. Yet, he greatly expanded the power of the Executive Branch. He had also used more executive orders than any president before him.

He was also the first Democrat, he made the symbol a donkey, because his opponents used to call him a jackass.

Another Founding Father was Patrick Henry, who belonged to haplogroup R1b. According to the project guidelines page at the Henry DNA Project on FTDNA, 2 of his descendants (whose descent has been certified by genealogists at Red Hill, the Patrick Henry National Memorial) are in the project's group R1b-6.

Last edited:
Another Founding Father was Patrick Henry, who belonged to haplogroup R1b. According to the project guidelines page at the Henry DNA Project on FTDNA, 2 of his descendants (whose descent has been certified by genealogists at Red Hill, the Patrick Henry National Memorial) are in the project's group R1b-6.

The FTDNA participants were not tested for deep clades, so I checked their haplotype on Nevgen and Patrick Henry's line is R1b-L21 > L513 > S6365 > BY16 > Z16372.

Stephen Crane, who represented New Jersey in the First Continental Congress and was killed during the Revolution, belonged to Haplogroup I1. He was descended from Jasper Crane (approx 1602-1680), who was one of the founders of Newark, New Jersey. At least one descendant of Jasper is listed as I-M253 at the Crain/Crane DNA Project at FTDA.

His great-great-grandson, also named Stephen Crane, was a 19th century American author who wrote The Red Badge of Courage and also belonged to Haplogroup I1.

This thread has been viewed 6676 times.

Back