Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Y-DNA haplogroups of the Founding Fathers of the United States

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

2 members found this post helpful.

Post Y-DNA haplogroups of the Founding Fathers of the United States

I have made a summary of all the known paternal lineages of the Founding Fathers. I wish I could find those of James Madison, John Jay and the Morris family (Gouverneur Morris, Lewis Morris, Richard Morris, etc.).

My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Excellent work! It is safe to say John Quincy Adams (6th President) was also R1b-S1200, by the virtue of the fact he was the son of John Adams.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Excellent work! It is safe to say John Quincy Adams (6th President) was also R1b-S1200, by the virtue of the fact he was the son of John Adams.
    Yes, of course. I didn't include him as he is not usually considered a Founding Father. But he is mentioned in the Famous Y-DNA page.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Yes, of course. I didn't include him as he is not usually considered a Founding Father. But he is mentioned in the Famous Y-DNA page.
    Indeed, John Q. Adams was an impressive person. He was actually estimated to have the highest IQ of all the U.S. Presidents, in a psychology paper done in 2006. He was fluent in both Greek and Latin:

https://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jcampb...PresIQ2006.pdf

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

John Q. Adams' political rival, Andrew Jackson, albeit highly intelligent, couldn't have been more different in terms of personality. Moreover, despite the less distinguished pedigree, and lower IQ (according to the chart, and again still higher than average) he went on to become one of the most transformational Presidents in U.S. History. His legacy went on to dwarf that of John Q. Adams. As a military leader, Jackson conquered Florida. He also defeated the British troops that defeated Napoleon after the end of the War of 1812 (word did not travel instantaneously back then). Despite winning the battle after the end of the war, it helped to save the U.S. from humiliation, and many Americans praised him for it. He was known as "Old Hickory", a nickname given to him by his troops, because he was a very tough man. As a judge, he would personally seek out individuals evading trial, and bring them back at gunpoint.

Right now, there is a push to get him removed from the $20 bill. This is mostly due to his infamous Trail of Tears. Ironically though, he was against the idea of paper money. Jackson preferred metal coins. Also, ironic is that he ran as a populist, and promoted small-government. Yet, he greatly expanded the power of the Executive Branch. He had also used more executive orders than any president before him.

He was also the first Democrat, he made the symbol a donkey, because his opponents used to call him a jackass.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Colonial American, primarily British

2 members found this post helpful.
    Another Founding Father was Patrick Henry, who belonged to haplogroup R1b. According to the project guidelines page at the Henry DNA Project on FTDNA, 2 of his descendants (whose descent has been certified by genealogists at Red Hill, the Patrick Henry National Memorial) are in the project's group R1b-6.
    Last edited by Rusty; 13-02-21 at 19:23. Reason: Correcting Spelling

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Another Founding Father was Patrick Henry, who belonged to haplogroup R1b. According to the project guidelines page at the Henry DNA Project on FTDNA, 2 of his descendants (whose descent has been certified by genealogists at Red Hill, the Patrick Henry National Memorial) are in the project's group R1b-6.
    The FTDNA participants were not tested for deep clades, so I checked their haplotype on Nevgen and Patrick Henry's line is R1b-L21 > L513 > S6365 > BY16 > Z16372.

Excellent work!