Greek islander with... R-YP417 haplogroup?

Your haplogroup seems Slavic. It is not strange. There are some Slavic haplogroups in Greece. The haplogroup is just a minor part of our ancestry. It is just a distant ancestor in our paternal line.
By the way do you have Gedmatch results? Could you post them?

I don't have Gedmatch results, unfortunately. I used 23andme.

Hey, I'm half greek islander

Which Greek Island are you paternally from?

Some Slavic tribes did reach the islands around Greece. Though, more were settled around Northern Greece.

YP417 is the most common subclade of L1029, and most common branch of L1029 in West, South and East Slavs. I have a 23andme match that is L1029* from the Peloponnese and one from Northern Greece that was YP263.

Are you considering doing WGS?

Can you upload your raw data on Gedmatch ?
Also, from where is the other half of your ancestry ?

Hey, I'm half greek islander
Which Greek Island are you paternally from?
Some Slavic tribes did reach the islands around Greece. Though, more were settled around Northern Greece.
YP417 is the most common subclade of L1029, and most common branch of L1029 in West, South and East Slavs. I have a 23andme match that is L1029* from the Peloponnese and one from Northern Greece that was YP263.
Are you considering doing WGS?
Paternally, it's Andros.

Paternally, it's Andros.

You should do WGS if you can afford it. Or Y37 at Yseq. Thet may be able to predict downstream YP417.

If you're negative downstream YP417 l, you will likely form a new branch/line under YP417. All YP417 have a common ancestor around 2100 years ago.

Does your paternal ancestor know of any earlier origin outside of Andros?

Supposedly Kavala has had settlers to Andros and Kavala is part of Northern Greece which has alot of R1a.

Could have settled in Andros since the early medieval too.

You should do WGS if you can afford it. Or Y37 at Yseq. Thet may be able to predict downstream YP417.
If you're negative downstream YP417 l, you will likely form a new branch/line under YP417. All YP417 have a common ancestor around 2100 years ago.
Does your paternal ancestor know of any earlier origin outside of Andros?
Supposedly Kavala has had settlers to Andros and Kavala is part of Northern Greece which has alot of R1a.
Could have settled in Andros since the early medieval too.

Hey! Your guess is actually correct that my family may have originated from Makedonia. A cousin of mine said (with the same last name) said that our family originated from Macedonia. It's plausible, but with 23andme it's hard to find relatives from Makedonia. Of course, this doesn't mean my family's not from Makedonia.. Also, the #2 region where my dna was closest to was the peloponnese, #4 was Makedonia. So it's plausible.

Hey! Your guess is actually correct that my family may have originated from Makedonia. A cousin of mine said (with the same last name) said that our family originated from Macedonia. It's plausible, but with 23andme it's hard to find relatives from Makedonia. Of course, this doesn't mean my family's not from Makedonia.. Also, the #2 region where my dna was closest to was the peloponnese, #4 was Makedonia. So it's plausible.

Interesting. I am not sure how active the Greek DNA project is on FTDNA or YSEQ. Cost wise, YSEQ is more affordable if you do the alpha-beta test which will provide STRs that may help to nail down a more downstream SNP under YP417. In the event you are negative for known SNPs and only predicted up to YP417 with STRs, then a WGS(whole genome sequencing) would be the way to go. You would be able to upload to Yfull such as these other WGS testsers: https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-YP417/

If you are negative you will likely remain YP417* until someone that matches/forms a cluster with you gets tested. I also have a Peloponesse match that is R1a-L1029, but he is negative for YP417 and other tested SNPs so he could form his own branch.

Autosomal DNA goes through recombination events generationally, so they are not always correlated with the paternal Y-Chromosome or its migration pattern. WGS/STRS/SNP testing is the best for that. I reccomend WGS and uploading to Yfull. Only because R1a is generally rare/low percentages amongst Greeks and even Albanians. I am YF11397 on yfull: https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L1029/. My branch isn't formed yet, but it shows under live here : https://www.yfull.com/live/tree/R-Y133361/. I should have a common ancestor at roughly 1220ybp with my Albanian match but still waiting for the next update to properly lock down a TMRCA/age.

You can inbox me if you have more questions.

This thread has been viewed 5504 times.

Back