Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Dacian and Thracian languages

Dacian and Thracian languages

Hello

I would like to know the linguistic affiliations of both Dacian and Thracian. Now, I know that the latter is a Satem language similar to Balto-Slavic and Indo-Iranian(Aryan) languages, but that's about it. I've heard some theories that they might have been Baltic languages, but I find to be a bit..well, believable to say the least, and there's no consensus on that.

Like, can we say that Thracian and Dacian are just local languages with no clear relations to other Indo-European languages and branches due to the extreme scarcity of these languages? I mean, I personally don't find the idea that they were Baltic languages to be reasonable really, and I think that these languages merely share similar common linguistic ancestry with Balto-Slavic and Indo-Iranian(Aryan) languages, no?

My current knowledge and intepretation goes like that:
    Daco-Thracian is an independent Indoeuropean branch, but its closest relative on the tree is Balto-Slavic. I also think that one likely candidate for the spread of Daco-Thracian is Gva-Holigrady and that this Urnfield-related expansion spread E-V13 to the Carpathian and Balkan region, with the Thraco-Cimmerian horizon and related Urnfield spreads, including Celtic Iron Age, much beyond.
    Balto-Slavs would have been the direct neighbours to the North East before their departure to the South, which would fit the linguistic position.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    My current knowledge and intepretation goes like that:
    Daco-Thracian is an independent Indoeuropean branch, but its closest relative on the tree is Balto-Slavic. I also think that one likely candidate for the spread of Daco-Thracian is G�va-Holigrady and that this Urnfield-related expansion spread E-V13 to the Carpathian and Balkan region, with the Thraco-Cimmerian horizon and related Urnfield spreads, including Celtic Iron Age, much beyond.
    Balto-Slavs would have been the direct neighbours to the North East before their departure to the South, which would fit the linguistic position.
    Oh. It does makes sense if I think about it.

Anyone else?