Genetic history of Calabrian Greeks reveals ancient events and long term isolation in

kingjohn

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
e-fgc7391 500CE
mtDNA haplogroup
h3ap
Genetic history of Calabrian Greeks reveals ancient events and long term isolation in the Aspromonte area of Southern Italy
Stefania Sarno, Rosalba Petrilli, […]Donata Luiselli
Scientific Reports volume 11, Article number: 3045 (2021) Cite this article
Metricsdetails

Abstract
Calabrian Greeks are an enigmatic population that have preserved and evolved a unique variety of language, Greco, survived in the isolated Aspromonte mountain area of Southern Italy. To understand their genetic ancestry and explore possible effects of geographic and cultural isolation, we genome-wide genotyped a large set of South Italian samples including both communities that still speak Greco nowadays and those that lost the use of this language earlier in time. Comparisons with modern and ancient populations highlighted ancient, long-lasting genetic links with Eastern Mediterranean and Caucasian/Near-Eastern groups as ancestral sources of Southern Italians. Our results suggest that the Aspromonte communities might be interpreted as genetically drifted remnants that departed from such ancient genetic background as a consequence of long-term isolation. Specific patterns of population structuring and higher levels of genetic drift were indeed observed in these populations, reflecting geographic isolation amplified by cultural differences in the groups that still conserve the Greco language. Isolation and drift also affected the current genetic differentiation at specific gene pathways, prompting for future genome-wide association studies aimed at exploring trait-related loci that have drifted up in frequency in these isolated groups.
Source:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-82591-9

41598_2021_82591_Fig1_HTML.png

a) Sampling map showing the approximate geographic location of analyzed populations. Sampling points are color-coded according to the province of origin: Benevento (blue); Castrovillari (purple); Catanzaro (magenta); previously collected samples from Reggio Calabria (orange); newly collected samples from Reggio Calabria (gold). The two enlarged boxes detail the sampling locations of villages in the province of Reggio Calabria (left) and in the province of Catanzaro (right), respectively. (b) Historical map showing the approximate extension of the National Park of the Aspromonte mountain area (in pink) as well as the range of the Greek-speaking area at different time periods as reported in the legend at the top-left. Geographical map has been generated with the package

and most important :cool-v:

https://i.imgur.com/sK0RwhS.png

Indeed, most important.:)

Another good Sarno and Boattini paper. Fascinating tree.

So, Southern Italians can be modelled as a simple two way combination of Anatolian farmer and Caucasus Hunter-Gatherer.

Just wish I could post the tree.

Another interesting bit from the Supplement:
Supplementary Table S8. Results of four-population scenarios modelled with qpAdmix for the Italian populations using ancient putative sources.
PopulationAncestral ComponentsStandard ErrorsP-value
Iran_NWHGSteppe_EMBAAnatolia_NIran_NWHGSteppe_EMBAAnatolia_N
Sardinian0.1450.1220.0750.6580.0180.0070.0160.0130.4857
North_Italy0.1570.0790.2720.4920.0160.0070.0150.0130.5794
Benevento0.2400.0390.1680.5530.0190.0070.0160.0140.0854
Castrovillari0.2510.0370.1610.5510.0180.0070.0150.0140.2623
Catanzaro0.2780.0250.1310.5660.0180.0070.0150.0140.0262
Aspromonte0.2920.0240.1130.5710.0220.0090.0190.0170.0449

So annoying when the ads cover the content:

Supplementary Table S8. Results of four-population scenarios modelled with qpAdmix for the Italian populations using ancient putative sources.
PopulationAncestral ComponentsStandard ErrorsP-value
Iran_NWHGSteppe_EMBAAnatolia_NIran_NWHGSteppe_EMBAAnatolia_N
Sardinian0.1450.1220.0750.6580.0180.0070.0160.0130.4857
North_Italy0.1570.0790.2720.4920.0160.0070.0150.0130.5794
Benevento0.2400.0390.1680.5530.0190.0070.0160.0140.0854
Castrovillari0.2510.0370.1610.5510.0180.0070.0150.0140.2623
Catanzaro0.2780.0250.1310.5660.0180.0070.0150.0140.0262
Aspromonte0.2920.0240.1130.5710.0220.0090.0190.0170.0449

Finally my husband may be interested in something from my hobby. He, like Raoul Bova, has some ancestry from that Greek speaking region in Reggio Calabria, and the rest of his ancestry comes from the area directly east of it still in Reggio Calabria, where they were speaking Greek until way past the Middle Ages. The ancestral villages of two out of his four grandparents come from an area where people fled the coast during Moorish raids to build new villages in the mountains. That coastal town was renowned during Magna Graecia. One other grandparent came from that more isolated region.

The most interesting thing for me will be finding out how long they've been isolated in the Aspromonte Mountains. To when does their original admixture date? Could it possibly be late Bronze Age, or maybe early Iron Age after Greek migration started? When?

They've certainly drifted a lot in the inner mountains.

Indeed, most important.:)
Another good Sarno and Boattini paper. Fascinating tree.
So, Southern Italians can be modelled as a simple two way combination of Anatolian farmer and Caucasus Hunter-Gatherer.
Just wish I could post the tree.
Yes
Cool research:cool-v:
You can show it to you calabrian husband :)

P.s
I know it is autosomal research but i wish
There they anlaysed the samples for y snp markers
Isolated communities are fascinating
And because of drift can show surprising results

Yes
Cool research:cool-v:
You can show it to you calabrian husband :)
P.s
I know it is autosomal research but i wish
There they anlaysed the samples for y snp markers
Isolated communities are fascinating
And because of drift can show surprising results

Well, I can tell you that in my husband's paternal villages there's a lot of G2a (his yDna) and the eastern R1a, plus a lot of J2a, so I would think Greece or Anatolia, unless the G2a is REALLY old.

This is from a yDna project for Reggio Calabria. There's certainly E as well, a lot of it just labeled E-M35. How and when it arrived I have no idea, and a lot of these people didn't really get detailed testing done, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you, which makes it difficult to make educated guesses. There's quite a bit of R-M269 as well as some I. Of course, this isn't a random sample.

There are three Panetta's, like our American politician, all forms of R.

There's one Bova, who is E-M35. I'd guess E-V13, but who knows.

A few family surnames have different yDna. It just goes to show you can't be sure just by surname.

Well, I can tell you that in my husband's paternal villages there's a lot of G2a (his yDna) and the eastern R1a, plus a lot of J2a, so I would think Greece or Anatolia, unless the G2a is REALLY old.
This is from a yDna project for Reggio Calabria. There's certainly E as well, a lot of it just labeled E-M35. How and when it arrived I have no idea, and a lot of these people didn't really get detailed testing done, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you, which makes it difficult to make educated guesses. There's quite a bit of R-M269 as well as some I. Of course, this isn't a random sample.
There are three Panetta's, like our American politician, all forms of R.
There's one Bova, who is E-M35. I'd guess E-V13, but who knows.
A few family surnames have different yDna. It just goes to show you can't be sure just by surname.
This project ?:unsure:
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/calabria-dna/dna-results

P.s
About e1b1b people in this project
People should upgrade to 67-111 markers or big-y
To know there downstream clade better....:unsure:
Most e1b1b1 should be e-v13 but there some
Other clades e-v22, e-v12, e-m34

Who brought Iran Neo in North Italy and Sardinia? Imperial Romans?

Inviato dal mio POT-LX1T utilizzando Tapatalk

In Sardinia it could also be Phoenician, so Iron Age... But in Northern Italy?

Inviato dal mio POT-LX1T utilizzando Tapatalk

iKVk0sJ.png

hncKQqR.png

huzzah!
:grin:
It is strange :unsure:
That acording to this paper
Sardinians have more whg component 12.2% than north italians 7.9%
Is there explanation to it ?

I published a thread on a book called "Northern Italy in the Roman World". It can be found through the search engine. I think it's essential reading for anyone interested in this topic as it covers Northern Italy from the Bronze Age to the Gothic Wars.

One of the points it makes is that starting very early Rome established colonies in Northern Italy. It was a part of Romanization. In my own area the colony was Luni. There were also the colonies along the Po and further north. There are many schematics which show where they were located. Indeed, there's an interactive site dedicated to the location of Roman colonies.

There was also movement north from Southern Italy I believe as one of the Republican Era Roman samples shows a great deal of Greek/Aegean Sea ancestry.

As for why Northern Italy has less WHG than Sardinia, it probably has a great deal to do with the fact that it was diluted by the steppe ancestry which started arriving with the Italics. Some of the Republican Era Roman samples have more WHG than modern North Italians.

See:
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...oman-Era?highlight=Northern+Italy+Roman+World

PopulationLanguageProvinceRegionN*
Southern Italian analyzed populations
BeneventoRomanceBeneventoCampania20
CastrovillariRomanceCosenzaCalabria26
PentoneRomanceCatanzaroCalabria7
TirioloRomanceCatanzaroCalabria11
JacursoRomanceCatanzaroCalabria6
GirifalcoRomanceCatanzaroCalabria14
San LucaRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria4
SamoRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria2
CardetoRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria6
San LorenzoRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria8
AmendoleaRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria4
AfricoRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria5
BovaGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria10
CondofuriGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria4
Roccaforte del GrecoGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria6
GallicianòGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria3
RoghudiGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria5
Comparison populations
Sardinia28
North Italy13
Tuscan8
French Basque24
French28
Orcadian14
Russia25
Adygei17
Druze40
Palestinians41
* Number of individuals successfully analyzed after genotyping and quality filtering check379
° Greek-speaking communities of Southern Italy that still conserved a certain number of Greco speakersTotal

p.s
someone posted it in anthrogenica
just generally speaking to know how much samples they took from each region location

Wow, very interesting paper ! Thanks for posting kingjohn.

I am very surprised, Northern Italy has more Iran Neo than Sardinia. I am not an expert on Italy but can someone explain the difference. I think for North Italy there is a little too much Iran Neo.

I am very surprised, Northern Italy has more Iran Neo than Sardinia. I am not an expert on Italy but can someone explain the difference. I think for North Italy there is a little too much Iran Neo.
If North Italy is represented by Bergamo, I would expect to get, as (mostly) Northeastern Italian in ancestry, a bit more Iran Neo-like ancestry than that (as well as a bit more Steppe and a bit less WHG and ANF). If I'm not missing something.

PopulationLanguageProvinceRegionN*
Southern Italian analyzed populations
BeneventoRomanceBeneventoCampania20
CastrovillariRomanceCosenzaCalabria26
PentoneRomanceCatanzaroCalabria7
TirioloRomanceCatanzaroCalabria11
JacursoRomanceCatanzaroCalabria6
GirifalcoRomanceCatanzaroCalabria14
San LucaRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria4
SamoRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria2
CardetoRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria6
San LorenzoRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria8
AmendoleaRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria4
AfricoRomanceReggio CalabriaCalabria5
BovaGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria10
CondofuriGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria4
Roccaforte del GrecoGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria6
GallicianòGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria3
RoghudiGreco°Reggio CalabriaCalabria5
Comparison populations
Sardinia28
North Italy13
Tuscan8
French Basque24
French28
Orcadian14
Russia25
Adygei17
Druze40
Palestinians41
* Number of individuals successfully analyzed after genotyping and quality filtering check379
° Greek-speaking communities of Southern Italy that still conserved a certain number of Greco speakersTotal
p.s
someone posted it in anthrogenica
just generally speaking to know how much samples they took from each region location
I linked the tree and study in my signature, so it can be juxtaposed to their false claims in response to my posts.

It's not very much more. The big difference between them, which changes the percentages, is the amount of steppe in Northern Italy, which is even a bit higher in Northeastern Italy, as Regio pointed out. You can see it in the ydna in Sardinia. They do have R1b-U152 in Sardinia, but a lot of it is in the north where a good part of the area speaks a Corsican dialect, not the parts of the island where Sardinian is spoken.

As I mentioned in another post, the Romans very quickly Romanized Northern Italy, and not just in draining swamps, building roads and settlements etc., or introducing Latin, or educating people, or adding new gods and imposing their political structure, but also genetically through veterans colonies. There was also the natural movement of people from Southern Italy.

This thread has been viewed 44777 times.

Back