Abraham Lincoln-typical Englishman phenotypically?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I remember hearing nonsense about Abraham Lincoln not looking "British", and even stupidity that he was part black through his mother Nancy Hanks.
It's true that Hanks line is a little murkier but the Hanks family came to the colonies from South West England on the border of Wales. The Lincolns have been traced back to the 1400s in Norfolk.

In terms of looks I think some of the issue is that he had very weather bitten and darkened skin, which is no surprise given how he spent most of his life. Certainly, adults with dark hair and blue eyes are rather common in the British Isles. The other problem is that he was so emaciated that it made his resemblance to other people of British descent less visible.

Abraham Lincoln from 10 to 56:

Colorized version of his last portrait, taken shortly before his assassination.

abe-lincoln-color1.jpg

I've looked into that penetrating gaze so often; I see compassion, sadness, resignation, but also a certain aloofness. Certain things he held back, and one of them, I think, was a sense of disillusionment, disappointment in other human beings, while having compassion for their human weaknesses. I see none of the humor for which he was so widely acclaimed. He was ultimately a mystery to everyone who knew him. I hope he found peace in the hereafter if there is one, because he found none here on earth, and suffered so much personal tragedy on top of the burden of all those lives lost for ideas and ideals.

Andrew Jackson:
Andrew-Jacksonn.jpg

http://www.important7.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Andrew-Jacksonn.jpg

Andrew-Jacksonn.jpg

Younger Lincoln:
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/1-abraham-lincoln-unknown.jpg

Now the site wonks out sometimes when you want to embed a photo?

Andrew-Jacksonn.jpg

Andrew-Jacksonn.jpg

Andrew-Jacksonn.jpg

Can't say about British as a whole, but he has kinda this eastern-south eastern european look that some western europeans have. He kinda reminds me of myself, young very smooth in features especially the nose and the eyebrows and adult it became more developped, archaic.

I wouldn't believe if he was Finnish, or some population with a strong history of isolation, but British isn't hard to believe. He could look like any Insulars.

In some way, Lincoln reminds me the irish actor Cillian MURPHY, who has some common features, spite younger; in his peri-eyes part, by example. Maybe i ought to say: Cillian MURPHY reminds me Lincoln ?

from profile, the ressemblance is weak.

In some way, Lincoln reminds me the irish actor Cillian MURPHY, who has some common features, spite younger; in his peri-eyes part, by example. Maybe i ought to say: Cillian MURPHY reminds me Lincoln ?

Good one! I definitely see it. What he lacks is that imposing nose, and the mouth is far too pretty.

Cillian-Murphy-has-had-a-successful-movie-career-1194903.jpg

abraham_lincoln_young.jpg

aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZpMi53cC5jb20lMkZ3d3cuYnJhaW5waWNraW5ncy5vcmclMkZ3cC1jb250ZW50JTJGdXBsb2FkcyUyRjIwMTYlMkYwNiUyRmFicmFoYW1saW5jb2xuLmpwZyUzRnJlc2l6ZSUzRDY4MCUyNTJDNTA1JTI2c3NsJTNEMQ==

Of modern actors the first one who comes to mind with a "similar" nose is Liam Neeson, although I think he said he broke it playing football, so that might account for the middle bump. He has the jutting chin and the heavy eyebrow ridges and sloping forehead too.

3b43c9a4b7e405d55c04b55773216ef4.jpg

Strange that the ones who come to mind are all from the Celtic fringe, and Lincoln is so solidly "English". There is, however, nothing "Anglo-Saxon" about him.

I think Daniel Day Lewis has some of that look. I've never seen a hint of his partial Jewish ancestry in his face.

WaxReyZnjx4JH2MDDQQaWGZ67Sx_bsTrADQl4CirCvk.jpg

The jaw is a little less square perhaps.

ueAFwSHuGzyl.jpg

ddl1.jpg

As "Lincoln" in "Lincoln". I just recently re-watched it for like the third time. :) I "highly" recommend it. It's a masterpiece imo, essential for understanding the Civil War, and he gives a masterful performance.

daniel-day-lewis-abraham-lincoln-8.jpg

Besides anxiety and depression, I think Lincoln had a form of anorexia, or else the high levels of anxiety "closed" his stomach.

His forehead/eyes looks British. But his nose and jaw look non-specific.

If I remember correctly he is U152, so he may have some Roman ancestry

it looks a little exotic, but nothing big.

I once saw him described as "melungeon", very long time ago.

This is what I think of when I imagine a 'typical British', but of course it is a question of assumption.

Christian-Bale-Thor-4-1024x576.jpg

This thread has been viewed 3783 times.

Back