Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
including introgressed Denisovan lips!

See:
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/6/eabc6160

"Abstract

To characterize the genetic basis of facial features in Latin Americans, we performed a genome-wide association study (GWAS) of more than 6000 individuals using 59 landmark-based measurements from two-dimensional profile photographs and ~9,000,000 genotyped or imputed single-nucleotide polymorphisms. We detected significant association of 32 traits with at least 1 (and up to 6) of 32 different genomic regions, more than doubling the number of robustly associated face morphology loci reported until now (from 11 to 23). These GWAS hits are strongly enriched in regulatory sequences active specifically during craniofacial development. The associated region in 1p12 includes a tract of archaic adaptive introgression, with a Denisovan haplotype common in Native Americans affecting particularly lip thickness. Among the nine previously unidentified face morphology loci we identified is the VPS13B gene region, and we show that variants in this region also affect midfacial morphology in mice."'

Last edited:
Very interesting....
This reminds me of something that caught my attention: when I did my first genetic study in 2014 (Genographic Project), I had a percentage of Denisovan slightly higher than Neanderthal. When I did a second study, two years later, the Denisovan component disappeared ...
Another thing: is there a reliable reconstruction of the Denisovan skull and face? ...

Very interesting....
This reminds me of something that caught my attention: when I did my first genetic study in 2014 (Genographic Project), I had a percentage of Denisovan slightly higher than Neanderthal. When I did a second study, two years later, the Denisovan component disappeared ...
Another thing: is there a reliable reconstruction of the Denisovan skull and face? ...

I believe that this is the only DNA-based artistic reconstitution that exists today.

2togF6x.jpg

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02820-0

I believe that this is the only DNA-based artistic reconstitution that exists today.

2togF6x.jpg

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02820-0

If it's accurate, I like their faces a heck of a lot more than those of Neanderthal. This particular artist's vision gives her the sort of shell shocked look of the Afghanistan tribeswoman who appeared on the cover of National Geographic. It's haunting and saddening.

Life then was even more "nasty, brutish, and short", than it is in some parts of the world today.

Thanks Duarte!
It really looks quite "modern" ... probably the difference between the different Homo species (at least the most recent ones) is not as drastic as it may seem ...

Young females don't show the strongest differences anyway and its quite a cajoling image. Like most very recent reconstructions tried to "humanise" even the most distant primate relates of the Homo branch. The real, male and adult representatives would give you a very different impression.

Young females don't show the strongest differences anyway and its quite a cajoling image. Like most very recent reconstructions tried to "humanise" even the most distant primate relates of the Homo branch. The real, male and adult representatives would give you a very different impression.

I'm sure they would look less like modern humans.

However, even in the prettified versions, the Neanderthal women were more hideous imo. Maybe it's the more pronounced brow ridges, the smaller eyes, and the triangular versus the wider face.

neanderthal_woman-4x3.jpg

Not quite so prettified:
Web-Reconstruction-of-Neanderthal-woman1.jpg

Unprettified "older" reconstruction of Neanderthal woman:

homo-neanderthalensis-neanderthal-woman-tabun-c1-dtf698.jpg

post #7:
who has taken one of my wife pics (the first one)w ithout my authorisation ?

This thread has been viewed 2555 times.

Back