Earliest paleolithic homo sapiens remains from bacho kiro cave bulgaria

Some clarification to my own post 17. I have read the paper by Bergstrom, Stringer, Hajdinjak, Scerri adn Skoglund (2021) entitled "Origins of modern human Ancestry" just published in Nature. It is a really, really, really good read. I am not on Twitter, but I read a set of comments on Skoglund's twitter that were posted and I think he has provided a link which allows someone to get the full copy of the article on his Twitter account.

So with respect to my post, Bergstrom et al 2020 (p.230) in their discussion on Gene flow from Neanderthals conclude that section by stating "Thus, we cannot presently rule out an assimilation scenario in which Neanderthals were absorbed into a larger expanding modern human population." However, I agree that is also possible that war/conflict between the two groups resulted in Neanderthals being killed off. So I think both hypotheses are valid and I guess archeological evidence will be needed to support one and reject the other. So any assumptions that I may have had regarding Neanderthals and AMH sort of were reset after reading the paper.

So my take on the paper is that some of the maintained models that have been around might have to be revisited. Bergstrom et al 2021 in the Section of the paper entitled "The Last Common Ancestor of modern and Archaic humans" discuss who are possible candidates and who should be ruled out, but they close that section with, in my view, is a statement that challenges much of the maintained assumptions with respect to AMH. From the paper and I quote"

"Although it is commonly assumed that our ancestors would have lived in Africa before 500 ka, it is still too soon to exclude that they could have lived in Eurasia. A Eurasian origin during this period would also require fewer migrations between Africa and Eurasia to explain currently understood relationships between modern human, Neanderthal, Denisovan and the super-archaic ancestries88. Proteomic data from European H. antecessor165, which shows the potential of ancient protein preservation in the deep past, suggests that it might have been closely related to the common ancestor, but the ancestry information provided by dental enamel proteins is still of low resolution. In any case, with the earliest generally accepted evidence of hominins outside of Africa at around 2 Ma166, the fossil record strongly suggests that all human ancestors before this point, until the common ancestor with chimpanzees, lived in Africa."

So again, great read, Cheers, PT

Last edited:
It'd be nice to have the hg D0 on YFull tree. :)
A Rare Deep-Rooting D0 African Y-Chromosomal Haplogroup and Its Implications for the Expansion of Modern Humans Out of Africa
https://www.genetics.org/content/212/4/1421
Interesting thanks (y)
Here is the map who describe the process:cool-v:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_D-M174#/media/File:Haplogroup_D_(Y-DNA)_migration.png

P.s
There is early bronze age individual called LJM25 from qijia culture central china who turn
Y haplogroup D ...
https://i.imgur.com/EZLUjMO.png
Michael sager responsible for ftdna tree check his calls
(In specific paper was only identified with mtdna b)
And found he belonged to d branch called
D-Y65054 that he share
With modern tester from kazahstan...
https://i.imgur.com/ZOFSlca.png
I am telling this because before this individual
Haplogroup D
Remains were only from japan and malasia
I know this from carlos quiles site and while
I know people here think is a joke still ancient remains results are based on papers and actual experts who checked the calls...
The chance that michael sager from ftdna did mistake in the calls is close to 0%

Last edited:
It'd be nice to have the hg D0 on YFull tree. :)
A Rare Deep-Rooting D0 African Y-Chromosomal Haplogroup and Its Implications for the Expansion of Modern Humans Out of Africa

D0 (now renamed D2) is not African and I don't know why people keep saying that. I am posting here what I posted in another forum:

thejkhan said:
Also I would not call the rare D2 as African D, because the three samples in the Nigerian D2a branch has a very young TMRCA of only 2600 ybp (if my memory serves me right). Basal to them, at more distant TMRCA, is a Saudi D2a. And D2b (last time I checked), is represented by a Syrian man. So it's more like a deeply rooted Middle Eastern lineage with some young branch found in SSA. I have not seen the FTDNA tree lately, there may be more samples now.

D0 (now renamed D2) is not African and I don't know why people keep saying that. I am posting here what I posted in another forum:
That's the title of the study.

As for the phylogeny, indeed:

Haplogroup-D-Family-Tree-DNA-diagram.png

https://dna-explained.com/2019/06/21/exciting-new-y-dna-haplogroup-d-discoveries/

Thanks for pointing it out.

So it'd be nice to have D2 in YFull tree. :)

So basically in the 35-40k ybp time frame there's branches of P in far east of Siberia [EDIT: correction, Yana samples are 31k years old] and a branch of P (closer to ancestor of R) in the Balkans. I don't know what conclusion we can draw from that. Did the most ancestral P originate in the West and very early splits moved to the East? Someone in another forum mentioned BK-1653 lived 2500-3000 years after Yana [EDIT: correction, Yana samples are younger than BK-1653], so did one branch of P move all the way from Siberia to Balkans within a 2500-3000 period?

For now, maybe we can discredit the theory that P-P226, the ancestor of Q and R, came from South East Asia? However still all the most basal branches of P are found among SE Asians (Andamanese, Philippines, Malaysia).

I have always thoughts the presence of older branches in a region do'nt prove this region is the cradle of all substream branches of the haplo. For me it could be the mark of a small sub-population stayed without great increase over time (so less mutations). It's the same question as the L23 in S-E Europe or South-Caucasus, for me. A Central Asian or South-central Asian origin of some of the Y-P's or at least of Y-R's seems to me more accurate than a true South-East Asian one.
Maybe a naive interpretation of mine?

This thread has been viewed 10578 times.

Back