Y-DNA haplogroups of Scottish clans

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
In the last few days I have worked on finding the haplogroups of the clan chiefs of Scottish clans. Almost all of them have extensive surname DNA projects, so it was easy in most cases. The list includes most of the peerage of Scotland from Viscount to Duke. Highland clans belonging to R1b-L21 generally do not have aristocratic titles (with the notable exception of the Campbell and Drummond chiefs).

Scottish_clans.jpg

You will notice that Clan Douglas is absent. This is because of conflicting data. Only one member reported to descend from the Douglas-Hamilton (Dukes of Hamilton), but his haplogroup is I2a1a-L1193. However Clan Douglas supposedly descend from the same ancestor as clans Murray and Sutherland, which would mean R1b-DF27>BY67446, and indeed many Douglas do. This either means that the I2a1a participant is not who is says he is, or a non-paternity event happened somewhere. As we have no idea of where, I did not list the Douglas chiefs for the time being.

Actually the Boyd DNA Project found that the noble Boyd line (Earls of Kilmarnock) belongs to R1b-U106>U198. There is indeed a large number of A3b2 among the Boyds, but their origins is unclear (no data before the late 1600's).
Ok thanks
For clarification(y)
So it look like some a3b2 scotish members join the original boyd clan
R1b -u106 at some point in history :unsure:

In the last few days I have worked on finding the haplogroups of the clan chiefs of Scottish clans. Almost all of them have extensive surname DNA projects, so it was easy in most cases. The list includes most of the peerage of Scotland from Viscount to Duke. Highland clans belonging to R1b-L21 generally do not have aristocratic titles (with the notable exception of the Campbell and Drummond chiefs).

Scottish_clans.jpg

You will notice that Clan Douglas is absent. This is because of conflicting data. Only one member reported to descend from the Douglas-Hamilton (Dukes of Hamilton), but his haplogroup is I2a1a-L1193. However Clan Douglas supposedly descend from the same ancestor as clans Murray and Sutherland, which would mean R1b-DF27>BY67446, and indeed many Douglas do. This either means that the I2a1a participant is not who is says he is, or a non-paternity event happened somewhere. As we have no idea of where, I did not list the Douglas chiefs for the time being.

A friend of mine who's oral history claims descent from Clan Comyn, turned out G2a on livingdna.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Cumming

I have known for a long time that men surnamed Graham belonged to J1, but I thought it was just a peculiarity of some subset of men surnamed Graham. I did not think it was the sign of men of Clan Graham. I wonder how it arrived in Scotland.

If you did not know, the surname Cameron means Crooked or bent nose.

I have known for a long time that men surnamed Graham belonged to J1, but I thought it was just a peculiarity of some subset of men surnamed Graham. I did not think it was the sign of men of Clan Graham. I wonder how it arrived in Scotland.

According to the J1 phylogeny, it looks like the Graham clade of J1 split about 2000 years ago from other lineages from the Arabian peninsula. The most likely scenario given the time frame is that an Arab migrated with the Roman Empire, probably from what is now Jordan or Israel/Palestine and settled in Roman Britain. There is already a documented case of a gladiator from York whose genome clearly indicated that he came from the Levant. So people did move quite far away from home within the confines of the Roman Empire.

I think we can put to bed the Drummonds being descended from a Hungarian prince who settled in Scotland in the reign of Malcolm III, as family lore so says since they are L21 while the royal Hungarian Arpad dynasty appears to be R1a-Z93.

A few days after I published the list of Y-haplogroups of Scottish clans, MyTrueAncestry copied all my work onto their website. They didn't even have the courtesy to ask or to cite me (or Eupedia) as the source.

A few days after I published the list of Y-haplogroups of Scottish clans, MyTrueAncestry copied all my work onto their website. They didn't even have the courtesy to ask or to cite me (or Eupedia) as the source.

The appropriation of the intellectual work of others in a work of his own, without mentioning the source in the references of its publication, demonstrates intellectual bad faith. I hope they can repair the fault as soon as possible.

The appropriation of the intellectual work of others in a work of his own, without mentioning the source in the references of its publication, demonstrates intellectual bad faith. I hope they can repair the fault as soon as possible.

I sent them an email 5 days ago, but they haven't replied (yet).

very rude of them ....:unsure:
it began when they used daviski eurogenes k15 calculator for there site
and now they steal your research on scottish clans without premision .....:rolleyes:

What a shame, adds to the other mistakes and lies of MyTrueAncestry, that's why I don't use MyTrueAncestry at all. They once labeled an Iranian sample from the Middle Ages as a Safavid sample even though the sample was way too old to be a Safavid or labeling a sample from 600CE as a roman soldier. IMO they are not professionals at all. :useless:

Have you tried contacting the company's owner, Markus Kangas (facebook..com/markus.kangas.77)? He is a Finnish guy who used to live in the US, but now lives in Switzerland. You can get his contact info here advancedbackgroundchecks..com/markus-k-kangas_id_G-Emr4bxdMG5mZk

Scottish_clans.jpg

Hey Maciamo,

Do you know what Ydna Haplogroup Clan Fraser of Lovat are?
Trying to confirm a familysearch claim to Simon Fraser. :)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Fraser,_11th_Lord_Lovat

According to the J1 phylogeny, it looks like the Graham clade of J1 split about 2000 years ago from other lineages from the Arabian peninsula. The most likely scenario given the time frame is that an Arab migrated with the Roman Empire, probably from what is now Jordan or Israel/Palestine and settled in Roman Britain. There is already a documented case of a gladiator from York whose genome clearly indicated that he came from the Levant. So people did move quite far away from home within the confines of the Roman Empire.

A few ago, I saw a paper where they analized 9 ancient genomes from Roman Britain.
One was a Middle Eastener

This thread has been viewed 18825 times.

Back