Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Y-DNA haplogroups of Scottish clans

  1. #1
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,498


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    7 members found this post helpful.

    Post Y-DNA haplogroups of Scottish clans

    In the last few days I have worked on finding the haplogroups of the clan chiefs of Scottish clans. Almost all of them have extensive surname DNA projects, so it was easy in most cases. The list includes most of the peerage of Scotland from Viscount to Duke. Highland clans belonging to R1b-L21 generally do not have aristocratic titles (with the notable exception of the Campbell and Drummond chiefs).



    You will notice that Clan Douglas is absent. This is because of conflicting data. Only one member reported to descend from the Douglas-Hamilton (Dukes of Hamilton), but his haplogroup is I2a1a-L1193. However Clan Douglas supposedly descend from the same ancestor as clans Murray and Sutherland, which would mean R1b-DF27>BY67446, and indeed many Douglas do. This either means that the I2a1a participant is not who is says he is, or a non-paternity event happened somewhere. As we have no idea of where, I did not list the Douglas chiefs for the time being.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  2. #2
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,097

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    2 members found this post helpful.
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-FGC7391/

    https://yfull.com/mtree/H3ap/

  3. #3
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,498


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    Actually the Boyd DNA Project found that the noble Boyd line (Earls of Kilmarnock) belongs to R1b-U106>U198. There is indeed a large number of A3b2 among the Boyds, but their origins is unclear (no data before the late 1600's).

  4. #4
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,097

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Actually the Boyd DNA Project found that the noble Boyd line (Earls of Kilmarnock) belongs to R1b-U106>U198. There is indeed a large number of A3b2 among the Boyds, but their origins is unclear (no data before the late 1600's).
    Ok thanks
    For clarification
    So it look like some a3b2 scotish members join the original boyd clan
    R1b -u106 at some point in history

  5. #5
    Regular Member Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    933

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L1029>Y133361
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2b*

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    In the last few days I have worked on finding the haplogroups of the clan chiefs of Scottish clans. Almost all of them have extensive surname DNA projects, so it was easy in most cases. The list includes most of the peerage of Scotland from Viscount to Duke. Highland clans belonging to R1b-L21 generally do not have aristocratic titles (with the notable exception of the Campbell and Drummond chiefs).



    You will notice that Clan Douglas is absent. This is because of conflicting data. Only one member reported to descend from the Douglas-Hamilton (Dukes of Hamilton), but his haplogroup is I2a1a-L1193. However Clan Douglas supposedly descend from the same ancestor as clans Murray and Sutherland, which would mean R1b-DF27>BY67446, and indeed many Douglas do. This either means that the I2a1a participant is not who is says he is, or a non-paternity event happened somewhere. As we have no idea of where, I did not list the Douglas chiefs for the time being.
    A friend of mine who's oral history claims descent from Clan Comyn, turned out G2a on livingdna.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Cumming

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-02-21
    Location
    Alice Springs, N.T
    Posts
    42

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-FGC12832
    MtDNA haplogroup
    V

    Ethnic group
    100% ethnic Maltese
    Country: Australia



    I have known for a long time that men surnamed Graham belonged to J1, but I thought it was just a peculiarity of some subset of men surnamed Graham. I did not think it was the sign of men of Clan Graham. I wonder how it arrived in Scotland.

    If you did not know, the surname Cameron means Crooked or bent nose.

  7. #7
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,498


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    I have known for a long time that men surnamed Graham belonged to J1, but I thought it was just a peculiarity of some subset of men surnamed Graham. I did not think it was the sign of men of Clan Graham. I wonder how it arrived in Scotland.
    According to the J1 phylogeny, it looks like the Graham clade of J1 split about 2000 years ago from other lineages from the Arabian peninsula. The most likely scenario given the time frame is that an Arab migrated with the Roman Empire, probably from what is now Jordan or Israel/Palestine and settled in Roman Britain. There is already a documented case of a gladiator from York whose genome clearly indicated that he came from the Levant. So people did move quite far away from home within the confines of the Roman Empire.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Joey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Location
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    Posts
    458

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-YP445
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c2b

    Ethnic group
    Celto-Germanic
    Country: USA - Rhode Island



    1 members found this post helpful.
    I think we can put to bed the Drummonds being descended from a Hungarian prince who settled in Scotland in the reign of Malcolm III, as family lore so says since they are L21 while the royal Hungarian Arpad dynasty appears to be R1a-Z93.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Regio X's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-03-14
    Posts
    1,032


    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by Dibran View Post
    A friend of mine who's oral history claims descent from Clan Comyn, turned out G2a on livingdna.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Cumming
    Do you know the subclade by any chance? There're Irish Cummins who belong to G-Z31348 (under G-FGC477). Not sure they are related to the Cumming/Comyn and/or to your friend.

    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

  10. #10
    Regular Member Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    933

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L1029>Y133361
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2b*

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Regio X View Post
    Do you know the subclade by any chance? There're Irish Cummins who belong to G-Z31348 (under G-FGC477). Not sure they are related to the Cumming/Comyn and/or to your friend.

    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background
    I believe he is at the G-L497 level at Living DNA. I have to ask to be absolutely sure.

  11. #11
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,498


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    6 members found this post helpful.
    A few days after I published the list of Y-haplogroups of Scottish clans, MyTrueAncestry copied all my work onto their website. They didn't even have the courtesy to ask or to cite me (or Eupedia) as the source.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    2,033

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    A few days after I published the list of Y-haplogroups of Scottish clans, MyTrueAncestry copied all my work onto their website. They didn't even have the courtesy to ask or to cite me (or Eupedia) as the source.
    The appropriation of the intellectual work of others in a work of his own, without mentioning the source in the references of its publication, demonstrates intellectual bad faith. I hope they can repair the fault as soon as possible.

  13. #13
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,498


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    The appropriation of the intellectual work of others in a work of his own, without mentioning the source in the references of its publication, demonstrates intellectual bad faith. I hope they can repair the fault as soon as possible.
    I sent them an email 5 days ago, but they haven't replied (yet).

  14. #14
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,097

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I sent them an email 5 days ago, but they haven't replied (yet).
    very rude of them ....
    it began when they used daviski eurogenes k15 calculator for there site
    and now they steal your research on scottish clans without premision .....

  15. #15
    Regular Member Anfänger's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-04-18
    Posts
    199

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U7a4

    Ethnic group
    Iranian
    Country: Germany



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    A few days after I published the list of Y-haplogroups of Scottish clans, MyTrueAncestry copied all my work onto their website. They didn't even have the courtesy to ask or to cite me (or Eupedia) as the source.
    What a shame, adds to the other mistakes and lies of MyTrueAncestry, that's why I don't use MyTrueAncestry at all. They once labeled an Iranian sample from the Middle Ages as a Safavid sample even though the sample was way too old to be a Safavid or labeling a sample from 600CE as a roman soldier. IMO they are not professionals at all.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-02-21
    Posts
    1

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a

    Country: USA - New Jersey



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I sent them an email 5 days ago, but they haven't replied (yet).
    Have you tried contacting the company's owner, Markus Kangas (facebook..com/markus.kangas.77)? He is a Finnish guy who used to live in the US, but now lives in Switzerland. You can get his contact info here advancedbackgroundchecks..com/markus-k-kangas_id_G-Emr4bxdMG5mZk

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    25-04-21
    Posts
    28


    Country: Croatia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    All in all majority of them are R1b

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •