Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/9478-210218-egypt-wounds-mummy

"
Egypt-Seqenenre-Taa-II.jpg
[COLOR=#000000 !important](Cairo Egyptian Museum JE 26209(b) CG 61051 SR1/10192)

[/COLOR]
CAIRO, EGYPT—Live Science reports that a computed tomography scan of the skull of Seqenenre Taa II, who ruled southern Egypt between 1558 and 1553 B.C., has detected additional wounds suffered by the pharaoh. According to an engraving discovered in Thebes, both Seqenenre Taa II and his son, Kamose, were killed in battle against the Hyksos, who invaded and occupied northern Egypt. Radiologist Sahar Saleem of Cairo University said the CT scan revealed a nearly three-inch-long cut in the mummy’s forehead and cuts around the eyes and cheeks that may have been made with an ax. A stab wound at the base of his skull may have been inflicted with a spear. Fractures on the right side of the skull may have been inflicted with a dagger and a blunt object, such as an ax handle. These newly discovered wounds were filled in with embalming material, she explained. It had been previously thought that Seqenenre Taa II was hastily mummified on the battlefield, but Saleem said the work to repair his skull indicates that some care had been taken with the task. There are no signs of defensive injuries on the mummy’s forearms, she added, so Saleem thinks Seqenenre Taa II may have been captured, bound, and executed."

Interesting report Angela, thanks for posting.
Still, it does not add much new information.
About the proposition that he was likely executed, it has been considered that way for many years but there is also the possibility that he received a first wound that left him incapacitated, having then received more wounds to make sure he was dead since he was an important figure. There is also the possibility that he suffered an ambush.

I do not know it is about this or not but it is still 18th dynasty, the last great mistery we have to solve about this dynasty is the parentage of Thutmose I, was he a son of Amenhotep I by a lesser wife or was he a son-in-law or some other more remote kinship (when Dna tests were conducted about the parentage of Thutankhamon in the documentarie's grafic they showed a father son connection but that could be only done has a graphic for the documentary to fill in as a background image, an older documentary said that there was no relationship and there is also the fact that the suposed mummy of Thutmose I has not been identified beyond a reasonable doubt).
Let's see what the following years will bring, and hope that the deep subclade of the 18th dynasty Y-chromossome comes along too.

This thread has been viewed 2617 times.

Back