Malta's Prehistoric Menu

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Probably without the LP gene, they regularly consumed porridge of cereal and milk, and, oh goodness, ricotta cheese.
So much for all the hot air expended on tales of how much of an advantage LP gave the Indo-Europeans, who, by the way, didn't even have it.

See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/9489-210224-malta-prehistoric-diet

"RABAT, MALTA—The Times of Malta reports that researchers led by Davide Tanasi of the University of South Florida analyzed residues and traces of proteins found in pottery dated to between 2500 and 700 B.C. at Il-Qlejgha tal-Bahrija, a prehistoric site in Malta’s Northern Region. The study suggests that the residents of Il-Qlejgha tal-Bahrija consumed a porridge made of cow’s milk and cereals such as wheat and barley. Traces of grains were also found in large storage jars similar to those found in Sicily. These grains may have been collected and stored for later distribution by a community leader, Tanasi said. Milk was also detected on pottery fragments previously thought to have been used as incense burners. The vessels, which resemble a wicker basket with gaps, are now thought to have been used to make a cheese similar to ricotta, Tanasi explained. No other evidence of cattle or milk processing has been found at the site, he added."

Probably without the LP gene, they regularly consumed porridge of cereal and milk, and, oh goodness, ricotta cheese.
So much for all the hot air expended on tales of how much of an advantage LP gave the Indo-Europeans, who, by the way, didn't even have it.

See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/9489-210224-malta-prehistoric-diet

"RABAT, MALTA—The Times of Malta reports that researchers led by Davide Tanasi of the University of South Florida analyzed residues and traces of proteins found in pottery dated to between 2500 and 700 B.C. at Il-Qlejgha tal-Bahrija, a prehistoric site in Malta’s Northern Region. The study suggests that the residents of Il-Qlejgha tal-Bahrija consumed a porridge made of cow’s milk and cereals such as wheat and barley. Traces of grains were also found in large storage jars similar to those found in Sicily. These grains may have been collected and stored for later distribution by a community leader, Tanasi said. Milk was also detected on pottery fragments previously thought to have been used as incense burners. The vessels, which resemble a wicker basket with gaps, are now thought to have been used to make a cheese similar to ricotta, Tanasi explained. No other evidence of cattle or milk processing has been found at the site, he added."

Angela: Great find. So in Ancient Malta they were eating cereal and Milk and using ricotta type cheese(y) Good for them and it seems also similar grains in Sicily. Very nice. So when I ate Stuffed Manicotti or Cannelloni (more common usage I think in Italy) with ricotta cheese for Christmas with my Grandparents growing up, good to know I wasn't eating a cuisine that came from somewhere other than the Italian peninsula. Also, maybe all of us who grew up on Italian cuisine, which I know has region to region variation, etc, owe ricotta cheese development to these ancient Maltese Chefs.

This thread has been viewed 1364 times.

Back