Guess my ethnicity + classify

There in Romania and why do you have the Austrian flag?
That's right. I chose at random, because there are heavy people around here who don't like those from the Balkans. Although we are in the age of globalization. ;)

:useless:Obviously, by these standards Brian May of "Queen" must have SSA ancestry. Or perhaps he's part Levantine because of his nose??? :innocent:

30989ac002b23a851c44049631ee954f.jpg

It's always tickled me that in addition to being one of the best rock musicians ever, he's an astrophysicist with published papers.:)

Thomas Jefferson had numerous children with his mulatto (or quadroon) slave Sally Hemmings. Some of his children looked so white that they left as young people and passed into white society right away (William and Harriet), and their descendants are lost to history. Others stayed in the black community, and some passed later.(descendants of Madison and Eston)

This is the truncated family tree:
tree.gif

Eston married another free woman of color, also presumably "white" looking, moved to Ohio, and the family "passed" as white.

This is Eston's son John Wayles Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson's grandson, so, either one-eighth or one sixteenth black.

No one had a clue.
6John_Wayles_Jefferson.JPG

:useless:Obviously, by these standards Brian May of "Queen" must have SSA ancestry. Or perhaps he's part Levantine because of his nose??? :innocent:

30989ac002b23a851c44049631ee954f.jpg

IMO his nose is by no way Levantine, at first sight: rather the expression of European diverse inputs.

I don't know the reality for this man. If he has 14% of (true) SSA origin (some Americans think Arabs are "Blacks" and evey African drop of blood is shame!) he has nothing on his visible phenotype which evocates it. The proof that a little % of "foreign" autosomes can stay hidden. It occurs in families where this little % is seen on some children and NOT on their brothers/sisters.
There is no smoke without fir, but there is fire without smoke!

It seems that the "one drop rule" still exists ...:confused:

To be honest Ive always been proud of my african ancestry, I don't care about racists. If they want to use the one drop rule on people like me, I really don't care lol being black for me is not an insult, I like it

It shouldn't. I have serious qualms when an American who looks white, was raised white in a white community, suddenly becomes "black" upon discovering he or she is 1/8 or 1/16 SSA, or whatever, whether it's other people applying the label or the person him or herself. It's inauthentic, imo.

Halle Berry is a big offender in this way. She is always embroiled in battles with her ex and the media because she wants her daughter to always be referred to as "black". Well, she isn't; she's a child of mixed ancestry at the most, and that's the end of it. You have to label your own child now because of your politics?
halle-berry-daughter-nahla-outing-spending-time-after-school3.jpg

When are we ever going to just be people with various strands of ancestry?

No Angela, I just dont want this poor kid obsessing over every aspect of his looks. He does not need to pick him self apart like that its not healthy. I classified him as such because thats just the vibe I get. I live in a very Caribbean community, and he just gave me the same vibe. Being of lighter skin, I guessed him as less than a quarter, but it turns out Im RIGHT, to the point of exactly 1/8th.

When I use that Green, Yellow, Blue comparison, it just means I cant say what features are what, but he gives me a vibe of being mixed. He just takes it wayyyy to literally, and again, tried to over analyze and pick him self apart.

I used to do the same thing with myself, but I finally said I just look like ME, and now Im happy with that.

Thanks, I appreciate your concern. I just dont know if I should tell people Im mixed race because when I do, they dont believe me and they think Im trying to act cool. In their minds, only people with dark skin can be mixed race but they just can't understand people like me

Angela, yeah I agree that when mixed people say theyre "black" It just doesnt make sense lol. I don't consider myself "black" obviously, but I just said that I wouldnt care if people applied the 1 drop rule on me, because for me being black is not something bad...So if people want to believe Im black, then I dont care.
When you're 1/8th black, its very weird, I feel like people will not believe you when you say you're mixed race, and they wont accept you as white or black either

Angela, yeah I agree that when mixed people say theyre "black" It just doesnt make sense lol. I don't consider myself "black" obviously, but I just said that I wouldnt care if people applied the 1 drop rule on me, because for me being black is not something bad...So if people want to believe Im black, then I dont care.
When you're 1/8th black, its very weird, I feel like people will not believe you when you say you're mixed race, and they wont accept you as white or black either

The "one drop rule" was clearly a method of domination, totally out of logic. If you mix half a liter of white paint with half a liter of black paint, the resulting liter of paint is neither black nor white, it is gray. If you take half a liter of that mixture, and mix it with another half liter of white paint, you will get a lighter gray. And if you continue doing this type of mixture, you will finally get a liter of white paint, which, if you do a chemical analysis, possibly you can find components of the original black paint. I know that genetics is not as linear as this, but it is something similar to what has happened with humanity, all the time ...

The "one drop rule" was clearly a method of domination, totally out of logic. If you mix half a liter of white paint with half a liter of black paint, the resulting liter of paint is neither black nor white, it is gray. If you take half a liter of that mixture, and mix it with another half liter of white paint, you will get a lighter gray. And if you continue doing this type of mixture, you will finally get a liter of white paint, which, if you do a chemical analysis, possibly you can find components of the original black paint. I know that genetics is not as linear as this, but it is something similar to what has happened with humanity, all the time ...

Why ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ actress was described as a ‘woman of color’

March 7, 2021

Anya Taylor-Joy’s classification by the magazine ‘Variety’ caused controversy.
In the past few months, she has obsessed many with her movements on the chessboard.
The public aroused great curiosity in learning this complex game, and this was reflected in the increase in the sale of boards and the number of people who signed up for chess classes.
We’re talking about Anya Taylor-Joy, the 24-year-old actress who just won a Golden Globe for her portrayal of chess player Beth Harmon in the hit Netflix series The Queen’s Gambit.
As a result of this victory, several articles were written about Taylor-Joy, but there was one in particular that caused controversy.
Published on February 28 in the American magazine Variety, a text described the young actress as a “woman of color”.
“Argentine Taylor Joy is the first woman of color to win this category since Queen Latifah in 2008 and only the fifth woman of color to win since 1982,” the article said.
This description of the protagonist of The Queen’s Gambit caused a huge uproar on social networks, to the point that the Variety modified the article and clarified that Anya Taylor-Joy “identifies herself as a white Latina”.
So why do some in the United States consider Anya Taylor-Joy to be a “colored person”? What does this description mean?
‘I come from many places’

Anya Taylor-Joy was born in Miami, United States, but at a very young age she moved with her parents to Argentina, where she lived until she was six.
The young woman is the daughter of an Argentinian father with Scottish roots and a mother born in Zambia, whose ancestors are English and Spanish.
“I come from many places, but my quality and my attitude towards life come from Argentina. I really appreciate that part of my story. I feel very proud to come from Argentina,” said Taylor-Joy in perfect Spanish with an Argentine accent. in an interview last October.
The actress is proud of her varied roots and Argentine origin, which can confuse many Americans who do not consider someone of Latin origin to be considered white.
Belonging to minorities

The concept of a “person of color” is unique to the United States and may not have the same connotations in other parts of the world.
Whites started using it in the 18th and 19th centuries to refer to people of black or mixed race, and it was only in the late 20th century that African Americans and members of other minorities themselves appropriated the term, using it to describe themselves. affirm as a group.
“The category itself is a way of identifying a community of individuals. It may seem artificial, but what makes ‘a person of color’ in the United States is that it belongs to a racial or ethnic minority,” explains Efrén Pérez, a professor at University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
“With regard to this actress, it is clear that her appearance is more European than that of other Latinos, who may be of Mexican or Puerto Rican origin, for example. She does not look like this pattern,” he says.
The truth is that the category “colored person” is not only related to a person’s physical characteristics, but also to his ethnic origin and the way the person sees himself.
As for ethnic origin, it is common in the United States for those who come from Latin America or Spain to be classified as a “colored person” for speaking Spanish, regardless of whether their ancestors are of European origin.
It was probably what happened in the case of Anya Taylor-Joy, that the Variety considered “woman of color” because of its Argentine roots.
Efrén Pérez also explains that many members of the minority in the United States call themselves “people of color”.
“It is basically a psychological category, something that has formed over time. People who came from Mexico, Argentina or Cuba to the United States were forged here as Latinos or as Hispanics. These categories did not exist before. And that is very similar to the issue of ‘people of color’ “, says Pérez, who is of Mexican origin.
“I identify myself as a person of color from the experience I had as someone of Mexican roots in the United States, because I was treated as a minority, as someone who is outside the force majeure”, he acknowledges.
“The evidence we see is that the concept includes African-Americans, Latinos, Asians and also people from other minorities who are not Anglo-Saxons, such as Native Americans and Muslims,” ​​says Pérez.
Although on the outside it may seem strange to be described as a “colored person”, Pérez explains that, for many in the United States, this gives a sense of belonging that can lead to well-being.
“At a psychological level, we like to belong to certain groups or categories to increase our self-esteem. It is an instrument that helps us to feel good. Often our self-esteem increases because we belong to groups to which others cannot belong,” he says.
Modern origin

The African American community began to use the terms “people of color” and “people of color” more frequently in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
But before, there was talk of the idea it represented.
This was reflected by Martin Luther King Jr. in his famous “I Have a Dream” speech in Washington in 1963 when referring to “citizens of color”.
“Today it is obvious that the United States has failed to comply with this promissory note with regard to its ‘citizens of color’. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, the United States has given blacks a bad check, a check that has been returned marked as ‘insufficient fund’ “.
This category, given the demographic growth of other communities, has been expanded to include more groups, emphasizing similarities and setting aside differences.
“You can be more persuasive if you say, ‘People of color suffer from this discrimination’ and not only refer to African Americans, but to Latinos, Asians, etc. This is more shocking,” says Pérez.
When asked whether the United States should abandon the classification of people by race or ethnicity as a way to end discrimination, the political scientist says that “eliminating the categories will only give the groups another name”.
“Ignoring the identities, interests and aspirations of various racial or ethnic groups affects those people who may end up feeling isolated,” he concludes.
In any case, the use of the concept of “colored person” or “colored people” is not without controversy and there are those who defend its suspension due to its racial connotations.

Original in Portuguese:
https://g1.globo.com/pop-arte/notic...nha-foi-descrita-como-uma-mulher-de-cor.ghtml

Duarte, you have read my mind ...
Thinking about what has been said in this thread, I had thought about the case of this actress. It's all very crazy ...
Some time ago, I read a note from a BBC journalist, a Catalan, who for work reasons had to move from London to Los Angeles. And he was surprised, after filling out all the bureaucratic forms, that he had been described as "colored" for coming from Spain. Worse still ... he asked an English colleague what he thought of that, and he replied that he was fine with it. The journalist wrote an article titled: "How I stopped being white when I came to the USA" .....

It shouldn't. I have serious qualms when an American who looks white, was raised white in a white community, suddenly becomes "black" upon discovering he or she is 1/8 or 1/16 SSA, or whatever, whether it's other people applying the label or the person him or herself. It's inauthentic, imo.

Halle Berry is a big offender in this way. She is always embroiled in battles with her ex and the media because she wants her daughter to always be referred to as "black". Well, she isn't; she's a child of mixed ancestry at the most, and that's the end of it. You have to label your own child now because of your politics?......

When are we ever going to just be people with various strands of ancestry?

Not only Halle Berry believes in the one drop rule. Afro-Americans in general love
to apply the one drop rule. Therefore, they have no problem to call anyone with a minor or allegedly African admixture as black. Besides, many people in the USA are saying that Alexander Hamilton was black because his mother was born in the Caribbean.

119fe889a554ab3a295840.jpg

The daughter of Michael Jackson, Paris is also referred as a woman of color by some black Americans.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-25-at-7.13.21-PM.jpg

From my side profile, can you classify me? or guess my ethnicity?

Facial feature wise and from profile, your morphology is basically fully Caucasian, but your skin tone and hair texture indicate small SSA admixture. Anyway, you could pass for a North African, too. Besides, I've seen half Horners and half European who resemble you a lot. Anyway, with a bit lighter complexion, and with straighter hair you could pass for fully European. People with untrained eyes will think, that you are entirely Caucasian anyway.

This young man for instance, is German and quarter black American. And when going by pigmentation his lighter/fairer than some fully Caucasian people. That being said, his facial features show visible SSA admixture.
noah-becker-mit-bruder-elias-becker-bei-der-bread-butter-by-zalando-2018-in-der-arena-berlin-ber.jpg

elias-becker-bei-der-michalsky-stylenite-im-rahmen-der-mbfw-auf-der-fashion-week-berlin-spring-summe.jpg

64ff563da8574b857df1bbf528b2d124.jpg

991-ratio-boris-beker-barbara-elias.jpg

So, this quarter Afro-American German man, has the hair and eye color of a German, but his physiognomy is too exotic, thus not German at all. In my opinion, you look more Caucasoid than he does. The thing is, that people are very superficial and classify people only based on pigmentation, but barely look at the morphology. In NatGeo they've showed twins of mixed origin one had the complexion of a biracial person and the other was pretty white, with light colored hair. And the Headlines was- two twins one white and one black. However, the so- called white twin looked not purely European in spite of her skin tone.

Facial feature wise and from profile, your morphology is basically fully Caucasian, but your skin tone and hair texture indicate small SSA admixture.

his skin tone is extremely light even for caucasian standards. the only thing that could maybe indicate SSA ancestry is the hair but there are plenty of fully caucasian people with very curly hair.

his skin tone is extremely light even for caucasian standards. the only thing that could maybe indicate SSA ancestry is the hair but there are plenty of fully caucasian people with very curly hair.

Completely agree. By those standards, as I said above, Keith Richards has SSA ancestry.

So does Tom Jones.

740full-my-profile.jpg

It's as if people have no concept of the variation in Europeans.

This thread has been viewed 16087 times.

Back