Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Genetic analysis of Early Medieval Germanic tribes

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

6 members found this post helpful.

Post Genetic analysis of Early Medieval Germanic tribes

I long wanted to compare the genomes of various Germanic tribes to see how similar they were with each others and how much they resembled modern Europeans. I have started doing it here with an analysis of Lombard, Anglo-Saxon, Suebi/Alemanni and Ostrogothic genomes.

In short, Lombards and almost identical to modern Northwest Germans, followed by the Dutch. The Suebi/Alemanni and Anglo-Saxons are closest to modern Scandinavians and Northwest Germans. Ostrogoths have over 5% of East Asian admixture and considerably more Caucasus, and are closest to modern Hungarians and Austrians.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I long wanted to compare the genomes of various Germanic tribes to see how similar they were with each others and how much they resembled modern Europeans. I have started doing it here with an analysis of Lombard, Suebi/Alemanni and Ostrogothic genomes.

In short, Lombards and almost identical to modern Northwest Germans, followed by the Dutch. The Suebi/Alemanni are closest to modern Scandinavians and Northwest Germans. Ostrogoths have over 5% of East Asian admixture and considerably more Caucasus, and are closest to modern Hungarians and Austrians.
    Concerning the Ostrogoths, don't you mean over 5% "East Eurasian" (Siberian plus SE Asian plus East Asian)?

Great work on this topic, and on the Italic and Gallic tribes.
    Last edited by Vallicanus; 05-03-21 at 18:18.