Genetic analysis of Early Medieval Germanic tribes

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I long wanted to compare the genomes of various Germanic tribes to see how similar they were with each others and how much they resembled modern Europeans. I have started doing it here with an analysis of Lombard, Anglo-Saxon, Suebi/Alemanni and Ostrogothic genomes.

In short, Lombards and almost identical to modern Northwest Germans, followed by the Dutch. The Suebi/Alemanni and Anglo-Saxons are closest to modern Scandinavians and Northwest Germans. Ostrogoths have over 5% of East Asian admixture and considerably more Caucasus, and are closest to modern Hungarians and Austrians.

I long wanted to compare the genomes of various Germanic tribes to see how similar they were with each others and how much they resembled modern Europeans. I have started doing it here with an analysis of Lombard, Suebi/Alemanni and Ostrogothic genomes.

In short, Lombards and almost identical to modern Northwest Germans, followed by the Dutch. The Suebi/Alemanni are closest to modern Scandinavians and Northwest Germans. Ostrogoths have over 5% of East Asian admixture and considerably more Caucasus, and are closest to modern Hungarians and Austrians.

Concerning the Ostrogoths, don't you mean over 5% "East Eurasian" (Siberian plus SE Asian plus East Asian)?

Great work on this topic, and on the Italic and Gallic tribes.(y)

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 2901 times.

Back