Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: U5b1b1 European Distribution,

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1-Z58
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b1b1-T16192C!

U5b1b1 European Distribution,

HI, Both Living DNA and 23and Me tell me my mtDNA is U5b1b1. Living DNA state that the European distribution of this haplogroup is -

Saami 40%
    Finland 7%
    Mordovia 3%
    Bashkir 2%
    Lithuania 2%
    Slovenia 2%
    Norway 2%
    Russia 1%
    Chuvashia 1%
    Sweden 1%
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 1%

Recently I received my full-sequence results from FTDNA, and they refine my haplogroup as U5b1b1-T16192C! So, as I understand it, there was a mutation at position 16192 from the reference source, which is T to a C, which has then mutated back to source, I think designated with the '!' notation.

Anyway, my question is, the above percentages do not mention England. I understand the % of U5 in England is around 15%. Am I to understand that U5b1b1 in England is less that 1%? Wow, in that case U5b1b1-T16192C! must be much less. I would appreciate any comments to help me understand the above percentages. Kind regards, Leslie.

From my research, U5b1b1 is an uncommon haplogroup. I know researches are also baffled at its distribution across Europe and North Africa. It continues to pop up randomly so it doesn't surprise me that England is not listed.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c1

Ethnic group
    Appalachian American

LDNA does not list any mtDNA percentages for England. For instance, J1c is a fairly common mtDNA haplogroup for England, but England is not listed in its percentages of distribution either.