I1a or I-Z58

lescoyi

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-FT19948
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b1b1-T16192C!
Living DNA report I1a and 23andme I-Z58. I'm a bit confused how to interpret the difference. FTDNA have my sample from my mtDNA test, so I will soon upgrade to Y-111 for paternal. Can someone kindly interpret the above. My heritage as far back as I know is solely English based on my motherline. My father was illegitimate so I'm looking to at least get an idea of my paternal heritage. Thanks.

I did a bit of research and discovered I-Z58 is a subclade of I1a, and I1-Z58 is how it is referenced.

Thank you, Duarte. I look forward to my Y-111 test at FTDNA to learn more.

Thank you, Duarte. I look forward to my Y-111 test at FTDNA to learn more.

Yes. FTDNA’s Y-111 can give you the prediction of a further downstream haplogroup and also of the best matches and distances. His haplogroup appears to be a branch of the Scandinavian trunk. When you are interested, you can also do the BigY-700 and also, if interested, obtain the .BAM file to upload it to Yfull to find out about possible matches. The problem is that testing the BigY-700 and obtaining the .BAM file still has a high cost. Greetings and best wishes.

I appreciate the information. The BigY-700 is too expensive for me at present. I will start with the Y-111, then purchase upgrade(s), eventually to the BigY. I am very interested in the deep history of my paternal line. FTDNA have my sample from my mtDNA test and soon I will ask them to proceed with the Y-111.

Oh, I just took the Morley predictor test and the results were, "most likely" - 'long name' I1a2b1~1, 'short name' I1-Z58.

I appreciate the information. The BigY-700 is too expensive for me at present. I will start with the Y-111, then purchase upgrade(s), eventually to the BigY. I am very interested in the deep history of my paternal line. FTDNA have my sample from my mtDNA test and soon I will ask them to proceed with the Y-111.

Oh, I just took the Morley predictor test and the results were, "most likely" - 'long name' I1a2b1~1, 'short name' I1-Z58.

Just so you know, in case there’s any confusion, getting a 111 STR test at FTDNA is not going to refine your Haplogroup designation. They will just classify you as being I-M253. To refine that, you’ll need to take either a Big Y or one of their SNP Pack tests.

It will allow you to find out who your closest matches are at the higher 111 marker level, though.

Last edited:
Just so you know, in case there’s any confusion, getting a 111 STR test at FTDNA is not going to refine your Haplogroup designation. They will just classify you as being I-M253. To refine that, you’ll need to take either a Big Y or one of their SNP Pack tests.

It will allow you to find our who your closest matches are at the higher 111 marker level, though.

Thanks, I will bear that in mind.

Incidently, looking through my files I note I had already done a Morley predictor test with my 'Living DNA' YDNA file and the prediction was a little different to the 23andme one, I1a2a2~1 / I1-L41.

Thank you very much for the reply!

This thread has been viewed 5128 times.

Back