Politics "WOKE" America

The BBC published today a long text trying to explain to Brazilians what it means to 'Woke’. The title of the reportage is 'What is 'woke' and why the term generates a cultural and political battle in the US’. The text was reproduced in the main internet channels of journalism of the country and it is an attempt to explain to Brazilians the current political situation in the United States.
https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/internacional-63547369
Tonight you can expect a repudiation of wokery in the USA. Frankly, it is only the "looney left" which subscribes to stuff like Drag queen story hour for kindergartens. The Democrats have lost the vote of working class people particularly Whites and Hispanics.

The party in power always loses seats in the midterms. The question is how many. Is it a trickle, a wave, or a tsunami?

I'll tell you one thing. When you hear suburban, educated women in New York State talking about being worried about what is taught in elementary schools and is in elementary school libraries, I think it's a clue, even with the stranglehold the Democrats have on the black community, which is a big voting block in this country, as are the Hispanics.

Hispanics in particular may start turning as well; they are no fans of some of the things going on in the schools.

I always supplemented my children's education, but if I had elementary school students now I'd quit my job and home school them. There is no way I'd let them be exposed to the insanity going on in the schools.

This is what we get for not supporting the Catholic Schools, and letting them close down except in the more minority areas.

Republicans are slated to win the House, and the Democrats may keep the Senate. But the real news is the de facto beginning of the GOP primary, with DeSantis vs Trump. I think this will only serve to hurt the Republicans, but I think DeSantis will pull through. His record as a well-liked and competent Governor will speak for itself.

Republicans are slated to win the House, and the Democrats may keep the Senate. But the real news is the de facto beginning of the GOP primary, with DeSantis vs Trump. I think this will only serve to hurt the Republicans, but I think DeSantis will pull through. His record as a well-liked and competent Governor will speak for itself.

I hope so.
I don't know much about this DeSantis, but Trump is a dead end.

I hope so.
I don't know much about this DeSantis, but Trump is a dead end.

I agree, Trump is ineffective in promoting the platform he ran on in 2015-2016. Because of his inability to compose an administration of effective serious people to execute those policies. Instead, he brought in people who sabotaged him, betrayed him, or were not even on board to begin with. Namely, neo-conservatives, and neo-liberals, as well as charlatans, and flatterers. On top of that, he capitulated and/or didn't do enough to keep his campaign promises. I do think his SCOTUS picks were great for the conservative movement, but if it wasn't for the Roe v Wade ruling, I think there would have been a Red Tsunami, rather than what happened last night. I personally don't care much for the ruling, but it really galvanized many people in the middle, who would have otherwise voted Republican, due to inflation and crime. Had the Supreme Court overturned Affirmative Action instead, it would be different, because most Americans don't want Affirmative Action.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...-of-affirmative-action-in-college-admissions/

DeSantis on the other hand has experience as a politician who won two terms, he is well liked, he champions much of the platform that Trump ran on in 2015-2016. On top of that, he came from ordinary means, but went on to become a Yale, and Harvard graduate. He also served in the armed forces as a Naval Officer. He seems like the ideal GOP candidate for 2024 who could defeat Biden, Harris, or Newsome.

I agree, Trump is ineffective in promoting the platform he ran on in 2015-2016. Because of his inability to compose an administration of effective serious people to execute those policies. Instead, he brought in people who sabotaged him, betrayed him, or were not even on board to begin with. Namely, neo-conservatives, and neo-liberals, as well as charlatans, and flatterers. On top of that, he capitulated and/or didn't do enough to keep his campaign promises. I do think his SCOTUS picks were great for the conservative movement, but if it wasn't for the Roe v Wade ruling, I think there would have been a Red Tsunami, rather than what happened last night. I personally don't care much for the ruling, but it really galvanized many people in the middle, who would have otherwise voted Republican, due to inflation and crime. Had the Supreme Court overturned Affirmative Action instead, it would be different, because most Americans don't want Affirmative Action.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...-of-affirmative-action-in-college-admissions/

DeSantis on the other hand has experience as a politician who won two terms, he is well liked, he champions much of the platform that Trump ran on in 2015-2016. On top of that, he came from ordinary means, but went on to become a Yale, and Harvard graduate. He also served in the armed forces as a Naval Officer. He seems like the ideal GOP candidate for 2024 who could defeat Biden, Harris, or Newsome.

Trump is good for spreading conspiracy theories, nothing else.
His loyal believers are similar to the WOKE people, but on the opposite side of the spectrum.
He thrives on this, but I believe he's to intelligent to believe all these conspiracy theories he spreads himself.
There is to much fakeness involved. He needed those charlatans and flatterers to help spreading his conspiracy theories, but you can't rely on such people.

If I were in the U.S., I'd vote Republican, but not Trump.

His loyal believers are similar to the WOKE people, but on the opposite side of the spectrum.
He thrives on this, but I believe he's to intelligent to believe all these conspiracy theories he spreads himself.
There is to much fakeness involved. He needed those charlatans and flatterers to help spreading his conspiracy theories, but you can't rely on such people.

Indeed, his die-hard supporters are more enamored with his personality, than his effectiveness as a leader. I voted for him twice, especially since I think Biden and the Democrats are completely intolerable. But I see his flaws, and think it is time for him to go away. The platform of ideas he supported in the primary of 2015-2016 is what people should focus on. Which is mostly respect for the laws that we already have on the books, which Democrats do not want to enforce, (But they do selectively enforce it against their enemies). Trump makes good ideas radioactive, and gives his enemy a lot of ammunition. On top of that, he is indeed insincere, mercurial, and inarticulate.

Conservatives had better wake up and throw Donald Trump on the trash heap where he belongs, and stop putting up candidates who rehash his "the election was stolen" conspiracy theories.

I thought Mehmet Oz would have a chance in Pennsylvania, even though I think he's a phoney, but he cooked his own goose by appearing at rallies with Trump. Abortion also played a bigger part than expected. People don't get that it's a state issue, and it won't be touched in most states. In the rest, candidates proclaiming they were for a complete ban on abortion, with no exceptions, got defeated. That's not where the electorate is. It's not where I am, either, and I hate the current abortion on demand even in the 9th month laws.

The independents were turned off, and these are the people who decide elections.

It also didn't help someone like Zeldin, for example, that the Democrats had unlimited funds to spread disinformation about abortion, to the extent of saying that a D&C to remove a dead fetus and the placenta is an abortion and would be banned. Not to mention that abortion is now a state issue, and in New York it will always be abortion on demand with no limits.

I saw that commercial on tv every time I turned it on, and people are stupid.

You can never go wrong peddling fear.

On the issue of cashless bail, the Democrats try to sell it like it is only for people with misdemeanors. However, they don't mention the fact that some once felonious crimes have been reduced to misdemeanors. People are indeed stupid and ignorant... I've said it before, I think people should have to pass an IQ test to earn the right to vote.

Conservatives had better wake up and throw Donald Trump on the trash heap where he belongs, and stop putting up candidates who rehash his "the election was stolen" conspiracy theories.
I thought Mehmet Oz would have a chance in Pennsylvania, even though I think he's a phoney, but he cooked his own goose by appearing at rallies with Trump. Abortion also played a bigger part than expected. People don't get that it's a state issue, and it won't be touched in most states. In the rest, candidates proclaiming they were for a complete ban on abortion, with no exceptions, got defeated. That's not where the electorate is. It's not where I am, either, and I hate the current abortion on demand even in the 9th month laws.
The independents were turned off, and these are the people who decide elections.
It also didn't help someone like Zeldin, for example, that the Democrats had unlimited funds to spread disinformation about abortion, to the extent of saying that a D&C to remove a dead fetus and the placenta is an abortion and would be banned. Not to mention that abortion is now a state issue, and in New York it will always be abortion on demand with no limits.
I saw that commercial on tv every time I turned it on, and people are stupid.
You can never go wrong peddling fear.
I agree.

I think the Democrats won the election fair and square, and the reason for that is changing demographics of non-whites that vote mostly for Democrats.

I agree.
I think the Democrats won the election fair and square, and the reason for that is changing demographics of non-whites that vote mostly for Democrats.

Abortion was also a factor in certain states. In some areas, 25-27% of the vote came from people saying that was their most important issue. "Democracy" or code word for so called election deniers was way up there too.

Democrats got their vote out, especially the women for whom this was extremely important, and also young people of any gender who fell into that category and also want their college debt forgiven, and Republicans didn't. They thought they had it in the bag because all the polls showed the number one issue was inflation, then crime and education. You still have to get people to the polls.

Democrats have always had a great ground game, initially through unions, and now also on college campuses. Republicans have yet to figure out that all the media messaging isn't enough. You have to go door to door, have banks and banks of phones getting people to the polls or you'll always have an uphill struggle.

I think Trump needs to go. His hubris might not allow him to, but DeSantis in Florida won in a blowout, he won in areas that have been DEM for generations Miami-Dade and South Florida. Where DEMS made inroads is with unmarried women under the age of 30-35. They hit the social media platforms and as Angela alluded to, that demographic voted on a single issue, abortion.

Long Island's House Representation is completely RED. Even areas that have been Democrat strongholds for decades voted Republican. The issues that drove it? Inflation, yes, but also the schools (the woke agenda) and especially crime, i.e. bail reform. People have become afraid to go into the City. Long Island voted like a mini-Florida, which makes sense given how many Long Islanders move to Florida. :)

"Long Island will be represented by four House Republicans, even though more voters are registered Democrats. In open seats, Republicans Nick LaLota won the 1st Congressional District, George Santos won in the 3rd, Anthony D'Esposito in the 4th, and incumbent Andrew Garbarino in the 2nd. "
map-voter-decide-republicans-win-long-island.png

It wasn't the repudiation of wokeness I was hoping for, and now we get to hear more BS from the establishment about how young Americans are reliably woke, which as a Zoomer I can personally attest to isn't true. Give us more postmodern critical theory garbage and watch just how negatively the next generation reacts.

Since we're on the topic of the New York Metropolitan Area, I'd like to point out that Rockland County is now Republican territory, which is crazy because it's right near the city, across the state line from New Jersey. There's a few interesting demographic trends relevant for that, including the rapid growth of the Hassidic population, and the negative reaction of 'ethnic whites' (in NY: Italian, Jewish, Irish descent) especially to wokeness.

View attachment 13659

Republican victories are once again encroaching on the periphery around NYC, whilst Manhattan keeps getting bluer as the traditional Wall Street aristocrats living on the Upper East Side flee to the Democratic Party.

The real question is why do 35% of Republicans have a death wish.

The real question is why do 35% of Republicans have a death wish.

Especially since DeSantis basically has Trump's key policy goals; enforcing immigration laws, anti-woke, etc. and has proven himself with actions, and not just a lot of hot air. He sent illegal immigrants to liberal cities, he fired the far-left DA, he combated woke education and won, and he took on corporate wokery, and humbled Disney. The people of FL love him, and voted for him again by a large margin.

But I think a lot of that 35% would choose DeSantis as a close second.

I guess these people are more enthralled by Trump's style, than his actual record. Maybe they think he didn't get a fair shake, but I'm not sure why they think a second term will be any different.

Just from an anectodical observation, I think even despite the fact that the policy is basically the same, even Democrats would much prefer DeSantis to Trump. Because at least DeSantis isn't riddled with scandal, as a womanizer, or grifter who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. But I'm sure the left will bark obediently when the media starts putting more focus on him.

The BBC published today a long text trying to explain to Brazilians what it means to 'Woke’. The title of the reportage is 'What is 'woke' and why the term generates a cultural and political battle in the US’. The text was reproduced in the main internet channels of journalism of the country and it is an attempt to explain to Brazilians the current political situation in the United States.

https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/internacional-63547369

Brazil has low suicide rates and low consumption of antidepressants, so explaining to a country with a much better mental health record the meaning of "woke" would be similar to explaining to Kindergartners how to properly withdraw from heroin.

Should teachers wear safety uniforms in shop class?

Screen%20Shot%202022-09-16%20at%202.08.35%20PM.png

This thread has been viewed 121347 times.

Back