Happiness World happiness increased during Covid pandemic in 2020

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Like every year the United Nations and Gallup published their World Happiness Report. The big question this year is how the Coronavirus pandemic affected people's sense of happiness, and how different countries reacted.

The Economist deftly summarised the report in their article It might seem crazy: The pandemic has changed the shape of global happiness.

In a nutshell, young people and very sociable people suffered the most from the pandemic due to the restrictions on their social life. Older people in developed countries were comparatively happier, in part because they increased their contact with their family with video chats and the like. Another important factor was trust in strangers and in one's country's institutions. Nordic countries, New Zealand, Japan and Taiwan, for example, all have high levels of trust and fared quite well during the pandemic.

The only region where happiness decreased almost everywhere was Latin America. This is due to a combination of low trust in others, poor government management of the pandemic, and social restrictions in societies where going out and meeting friends are particularly important.

In Europe, the UK has seen its level of happiness fall the most (from 15th to 18th, but a drop of 0.366 points on the ladder, far more than any other developed country). Germany rose the most (from 15th to 7th place).

Interestingly, China and India are among the biggest winners in terms of increased happiness in 2020.

20210320_IRC150.png

I think it has more to do with the ability to work remotely. Whoever said what, with the advent of quarantine, we began to devote more time to the family.

Hmm, how strange. I think a prolonged crisis, an increase in class inequality between people, and in the end, the loss of loved ones because of Covid, can not lead to happiness
Although, yes, the countries of Western Europe have always felt good, but what about the poor countries and countries where there is war?

In Belgium, happiness decreased seriously and suicide rates have gotten worse as well. Belgian people always have had more suicidal tendencies compared to surrounding countries.

Like every year the United Nations and Gallup published their World Happiness Report. The big question this year is how the Coronavirus pandemic affected people's sense of happiness, and how different countries reacted.

The Economist deftly summarised the report in their article It might seem crazy: The pandemic has changed the shape of global happiness.

In a nutshell, young people and very sociable people suffered the most from the pandemic due to the restrictions on their social life. Older people in developed countries were comparatively happier, in part because they increased their contact with their family with video chats and the like. Another important factor was trust in strangers and in one's country's institutions. Nordic countries, New Zealand, Japan and Taiwan, for example, all have high levels of trust and fared quite well during the pandemic.

The only region where happiness decreased almost everywhere was Latin America. This is due to a combination of low trust in others, poor government management of the pandemic, and social restrictions in societies where going out and meeting friends are particularly important.

In Europe, the UK has seen its level of happiness fall the most (from 15th to 18th, but a drop of 0.366 points on the ladder, far more than any other developed country). Germany rose the most (from 15th to 7th place).

Interestingly, China and India are among the biggest winners in terms of increased happiness in 2020.

20210320_IRC150.png

My personal level of happiness has risen tremendously. I am very sociable, but now have come to realize that my energy levels have risen due to spending more time at the beach, in nature, reading stuff I am interested in and... of course... remote work removes a ton of stress coming from negative associates.

This thread has been viewed 3215 times.

Back