Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Greek belonging to I1-L22 (I-Y16808* branch) - Yfull results

Greek belonging to I1-L22 (I-Y16808* branch) - Yfull results

He is my Greek friend from the following thread. His paternal line goes back to the early modern period Greeks of Seydikoy, now part of the Izmir region of Turkey.
    https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...reek-regions-).

After doing a WGS test from Dante Labs and uploading to Yfull he was assigned to the I-Y16808* branch of I1-L22, together with the Bulgarian who can be found on the Phylogenetic tree of haplogroup I1-L22 uploaded by Maciamo on the I1 page since 2017.
    According to a fellow Greek I1 user on another forum, on a future tree update my friend will most probably form a new subclade under I-Y16808 together with the aforementioned Bulgarian and their probable TMRCA will be 1500 ybp.

As he is just an amateur with close to zero knowledge on the matter, he has given me his explicit permission to upload here his data hoping that you could help decipher/explain his results and help him find the theoritical migration path of his (originally non-greek) direct paternal ancestor and the original tribal association/ethnicity of that person. Personally I'm leaning more towards the Ostrogoths (the Balkanic groups ) but I'm not knowledgeable enough about them.

Anyway...Without further ado... His results. For a specific SNP, STR page or whatever else, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks!

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

1 members found this post helpful.
    That's very probably a Gothic clade. It's found in Sweden (place of origin of the Goths), in Ukraine (where they stayed a few centuries), in Bulgaria, Turkey and Greece (where the Goths settled during the late Roman empire).
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    That's very probably a Gothic clade. It's found in Sweden (place of origin of the Goths), in Ukraine (where they stayed a few centuries), in Bulgaria, Turkey and Greece (where the Goths settled during the late Roman empire).
    Thank you ! That's what I was thinking based on the dispersal of the few Y16808 samples.

What about the Varangians ? They also followed a similar route. Though I imagine they don't fit very well the known TMRCAs of the clades downstream.

Anything else that can be deciphered from his results ? Will he really form a new subclade downstream ?

Lastly, what is the usual timeframe of the Y-tree updates on Yfull ?

--EDIT--
    Forgot to add, can you point me to some relevant historical sources/bibliography about their history, their migration routes, raids and states ?