23andMe Confused about Y DNA results from 23 and me

Searcher70

Reaction score
My son took the 23 and me test, the results came back very very confusing

His Haplogroup came back E1B1A with EU 175. But what was odd it said it was with out some markers. When I researched that that had only been discovered in one other person in a study in Africa

However his autosomal DNA was 99.1 Northern European, with .9 unidentifiable the breakdown was just as we expected from genological research 50 percent German from the Rhineland, 11 percent Scandinavian from Copenhagen and the rest from the British isles.

How is this at all possible?

Our family immigrated from Germany (fathers line) 150 years ago. They lived in isolated German communities with no possible chance of interacting with a person from that Haplogroup, further If they have it would have shown up in the DNA tests he did, and nearly all my family did (he is the only one to take the 23 and me, everyone else used ancestry) all the autosomal results matched each other. Further all the pictures of my grandparents are blue eyed blond headed northern Germans (as am I and my kids)

So we know there was no chance of the Haplogroup being acquired in the United States. ( well the DNA test would have picked it up in the last 200 years and it states 0.0 percent African)

Which brings us to it me to Germany, once again they came from rural communities that were very homogenous almost interbreed to say the least, the same families immigrated to the US together as well.

I have read where this happened to a few other families of German and Austrian descent and there were isolated cases of this in Germany and Austria.

So I have come to a few hypothesis

1. The result was simply wrong, should of been E1B1B- they just made a mistake or the chip read it wrong, that is the most likely case. you get what you pay for

2. It is an ancient artifact, since the tribes with the E1B1 ( a and b) evoloved together this dude headed north with his brothers instead of west with his other kin) ended up in Europe. Also 1% of Scots supposedly carry this marker as well. This guy (his descendants could have cut a sawth all through Europe in pre history

3. During the Roman occupation of the Rhineland a soldier or slave raped one of my ancestors or she was a prostitute .

4. The Theban Legion? They were in Germany, Switzerland and Austria in the 200's R1B1A is present in thebes put not the sub clade (that we know of)

5. The Ubii- they mixed heavily with the Romans and they were the tribe in the area of my ancestors.

If not one (which a think it is) 2-5 could be possibilities because we know it has to be from a long time back because the other tests would have picked it up in the last 200-300 years.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated

His Haplogroup came back E1B1A with EU 175. But what was odd it said it was with out some markers. When I researched that that had only been discovered in one other person in a study in Africa

However his autosomal DNA was 99.1 Northern European, with .9 unidentifiable the breakdown was just as we expected from genological research 50 percent German from the Rhineland, 11 percent Scandinavian from Copenhagen and the rest from the British isles.

Our family immigrated from Germany (fathers line) 150 years ago. They lived in isolated German communities with no possible chance of interacting with a person from that Haplogroup, further If they have it would have shown up in the DNA tests he did, and nearly all my family did (he is the only one to take the 23 and me, everyone else used ancestry) all the autosomal results matched each other. Further all the pictures of my grandparents are blue eyed blond headed northern Germans (as am I and my kids)

So we know there was no chance of the Haplogroup being acquired in the United States. ( well the DNA test would have picked it up in the last 200 years and it states 0.0 percent African)

Which brings us to it me to Germany, once again they came from rural communities that were very homogenous almost interbreed to say the least, the same families immigrated to the US together as well.

I have read where this happened to a few other families of German and Austrian descent and there were isolated cases of this in Germany and Austria.

1. The result was simply wrong, should of been E1B1B- they just made a mistake or the chip read it wrong, that is the most likely case. you get what you pay for

2. It is an ancient artifact, since the tribes with the E1B1 ( a and b) evoloved together this dude headed north with his brothers instead of west with his other kin) ended up in Europe. Also 1% of Scots supposedly carry this marker as well. This guy (his descendants could have cut a sawth all through Europe in pre history

3. During the Roman occupation of the Rhineland a soldier or slave raped one of my ancestors or she was a prostitute .

4. The Theban Legion? They were in Germany, Switzerland and Austria in the 200's R1B1A is present in thebes put not the sub clade (that we know of)

5. The Ubii- they mixed heavily with the Romans and they were the tribe in the area of my ancestors.

If not one (which a think it is) 2-5 could be possibilities because we know it has to be from a long time back because the other tests would have picked it up in the last 200-300 years.

your marker is usually associated with the berbers..........see below
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuareg_people

[h=1]Deep into the roots of the Libyan Tuareg A genetic survey of their paternal heritage. ...........find this paper[/h]
but that land in Roman times was the grain belt of the Roman Empire ( the bulk of Grain for Rome came from this area of north africa ).............it was conquered by the Vandals before they went to Italy and sacked Rome

As usual, many lands the Romans conquered , they sent these men and women to all parts of the empire

Thanks Torzio-

That seems very likely -I found a map of both E1B1A and B in Europe (funny how they follow the same pattern in Western Europe) concentrated in Northern Italy, Switzerland then right up the Rhine- all area where the legions were stationed. They must have brought it from the Berbers through with soldier or slaves, but yeah they moved people all over the empire.

E-U175 is 8000 years old according to Yfull : https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-U175/ your paternal family are "recents" immigrant to USA, your autosomal is fully European, your E-U175 is most likely a "European" heritage

It's maybe a Neolithic heritage (from North Africa or Middle East)

It's maybe a Roman heritage (Roman soldiers from North African or Middle Eastern background)

It's maybe a Jewish heritage ( far Jewish ancestor who converted to Christianity few hundreds years ago)

You should consider to do a big Y700 FTDNA or a WGS (Nebula Genomics, Dante Labs, Yseq) + Transfer to Yfull, it may allows you to get a terminal subclade with younger and meaningful TMRCA.

Update:

We did the FTDNA- Once again 0 African

The only matches:

2 Danes (my family history has us leaving the Jutland and moving to the Rhineland during the reformation
1UK (VIA Malta) Closest match

Genetic distance -1

1 Belgium (Wallonoa)
1 German
7 Saudis
1 Kuwait

But is seems all our common ancestors are from the BCE-1-350 BCE

We only have matching markers at 12--- None at 25 or higher, what does that mean?

I am guessing this fits the roman hypotheses (Maltese Legionary stationed in Germany???)

Big Y came back

It looks like there are a few Germans and Danes with the same common ancestor at about 2550 BCE. With our DNA breaking off EU 175 at 3550 BCE It looks like we have been in Northern Europe awhile.

Big Y came back

It looks like there are a few Germans and Danes with the same common ancestor at about 2550 BCE. With our DNA breaking off EU 175 at 3550 BCE It looks like we have been in Northern Europe awhile.

nice;)
can you please share
what is the terminal snp you got ?

p.s
i found your branch it is ok you don't have to share it if you want to keep your privacy here
your branch indeed might have been in north europe for a while as you say
maybe this unit was the source of your branch ;)

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 3707 times.

Back